Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2021, 10:45 AM

Another Gravel Thread

I’m 6’5” and I want to check out the gravel thing. On my road bikes my top of saddle to center of BB is 86.5 cm. There is nothing in stock right now, but my shop which is a big Giant dealer says to give them 90 days for a Revolt ($3800 with GRX) They also said an Ibis ($4400 for GRX) is probably looking like early April. I could also order one of the Canyon gravel bikes in aluminum for around $2000. The shop said the Revolt is iffy with their d-fuse seatpost being able to extend long enough. Typically I order custom frames, but if I don’t like the gravel thing then I figure I can dump these other bikes fairly easy.

So giant, ibis or canyon? I know there are others out there, but I would prefer to stay within my shop thus ibis or giant. The canyon is an option just because it’s cheap.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:51 AM
Shifty Member

You might want to check out the Lauf Anywhere as well. $2300 for the base option and the XL numbers match what you're looking for in terms of fit. Not your LBS, but direct like Canyon. Also that number is for a carbon frame.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm714 View Post
I’m 6’5” and I want to check out the gravel thing. On my road bikes my top of saddle to center of BB is 86.5 cm. There is nothing in stock right now, but my shop which is a big Giant dealer says to give them 90 days for a Revolt ($3800 with GRX) They also said an Ibis ($4400 for GRX) is probably looking like early April. I could also order one of the Canyon gravel bikes in aluminum for around $2000. The shop said the Revolt is iffy with their d-fuse seatpost being able to extend long enough. Typically I order custom frames, but if I don’t like the gravel thing then I figure I can dump these other bikes fairly easy.

So giant, ibis or canyon? I know there are others out there, but I would prefer to stay within my shop thus ibis or giant. The canyon is an option just because it’s cheap.
I strongly recommend avoiding the Revolt even if you can get the seatpost high enough - the D-Fuse is very flexy and at full extension you'll be pogo-sticking with it... with no option to replace it.

Salsa would also be another option - can get them through QBP so still through your shop.

In short, I'd just look for something with the tallest seat-tube and that uses a standard seatpost, not proprietary.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:08 PM

My vote is for a Hakka, but can’t comment on fit. They look pretty tall though.

Alternatively, what about a Custom Marinoni with GRX ? I bet you could get it for about $4k and stick with custom steel. Harder to sell maybe, but once you try it, you will love it! <insert coke dealer emoji here>
Old 01-27-2021, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
My vote is for a Hakka, but can’t comment on fit. They look pretty tall though.

Alternatively, what about a Custom Marinoni with GRX ? I bet you could get it for about $4k and stick with custom steel. Harder to sell maybe, but once you try it, you will love it! <insert coke dealer emoji here>

Hakka is a good bet with relatively high seat tube and 31.6 post diameter. You may like it for the exact reasons that I didn’t!!!!

Instagram
Old 01-27-2021, 01:29 PM

The Lauf looks like a winner at that price.

The Marrioni is also a deal especially when considering the price and the exchange rate. However, they just emailed me that it would be six weeks for a custom frame, but they wont ship to the US right now. I guess they had problems with damaged frames last year to the US and they have stopped exporting to the US.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:50 PM

Hakka

Anyone owned a Hakka? How do they ride? Stiff?
Old 01-27-2021, 02:00 PM

Just a thought, I'm just under 6'2" with proportionately long legs so my center to saddle top is 84cm. Steve Garro (Coconino) built my steel gravel bike, I got a custom steel fork but he might work with another fork, and it's very versatile, especially when I travel with a bike.

I have two sets of wheels, WTB I-23's with 40 mm gravel tires, and Boyd Altamonts with 30mm road tires. I take both sets of wheels.

FYI, Garro is mending and back in his shop building.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm714 View Post
The Lauf looks like a winner at that price.

The Marrioni is also a deal especially when considering the price and the exchange rate. However, they just emailed me that it would be six weeks for a custom frame, but they wont ship to the US right now. I guess they had problems with damaged frames last year to the US and they have stopped exporting to the US.
That is weird! Don't the couriers want the business?
why wouldn't Marinoni just switch shipping providers (thinking of Ace Ventura, Pet Detective's opening scene that I just shared with my son last week )?
Old 01-27-2021, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
Just a thought, I'm just under 6'2" with proportionately long legs so my center to saddle top is 84cm. Steve Garro (Coconino) built my steel gravel bike, I got a custom steel fork but he might work with another fork, and it's very versatile, especially when I travel with a bike.

I have two sets of wheels, WTB I-23's with 40 mm gravel tires, and Boyd Altamonts with 30mm road tires. I take both sets of wheels.

FYI, Garro is mending and back in his shop building.
BlackMountainCycles makes a very large frame also, if funds are the concern - though a Garro-built bike would be sweet!
Old 01-27-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moots7 View Post
Anyone owned a Hakka? How do they ride? Stiff?
Yes, very nice, yes.

I briefly owned a Hakka in 2020.
likes: neutral geometry that works well both on road and on gravel, super responsive, lightweight, handsome, big tire clearance, fender mounts, threaded T47 bb, entry/exit for internal routing is well-considered.
dislikes: 31.6 seatpost and tall seattube made for a stout perch under my relatively low saddle height. I would prefer more exposed seatpost in 27.2 for a marginal gain in comfort. Probably this is a non-issue for long-legged riders.

I also ride/rode the Stigmata, Lauf, Warbird, and various ti, ti/carbon and aluminum customs in recent years.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 01-27-2021 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:46 PM

There's a XXL Ritchey SwissCross with disc brakes on the big auction site (item 224322649124) that could be a good fit for someone your height. I doubt you'll find a gravel bike that's substantially more well-rounded and compliant with modern standards than this, unless you're looking for some very specific things (fenders, racks, "planing", etc....).

And if you want to support your LBS, my rec. would be for Ibis, but that's mostly based on prior experience riding their steel bikes. The folks in charge have been around for a long time and know what they're doing. :-)

ATMO, IME, YMMV, BYOB, etc.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
dislikes: 31.6 seatpost
that would be a huge upside for me - more dropper post options! can always shim down to a 27.2
Old 01-27-2021, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastashop View Post
There's a XXL Ritchey SwissCross with disc brakes on the big auction site (item 224322649124) that could be a good fit for someone your height. I doubt you'll find a gravel bike that's substantially more well-rounded and compliant with modern standards than this, unless you're looking for some very specific things (fenders, racks, "planing", etc....).

And if you want to support your LBS, my rec. would be for Ibis, but that's mostly based on prior experience riding their steel bikes. The folks in charge have been around for a long time and know what they're doing. :-)

ATMO, IME, YMMV, BYOB, etc.
That's MMaddox's here... DM him for options.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:08 PM

Ask your shop to get an Orbea for you. Really good gravel bikes.
https://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles/road/terra/