Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2021, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tepextate View Post
You mean for pushing pistons? I have the Park Tool version and can’t get it in some of my calipers (including the GRX ones)...
I call it the caliper resetter which in fact pushing the pistons back. Yes this is better than the park tool.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:35 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem Rider View Post
I still have some old Schwinn branded tools that are made by Park in the late 70s or early 80s, they seem to have been much better made than what's available from Park now.
Oh they absolutely are! I have some older Park tools from the early 90's that are even better than the current supply. Mainly because most Park Tools products are made in Asia. They make very very little in the US now. Even things like the truing stands have alignment issues. Not a good sign.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:21 PM

What hex wrenches does everybody think are the best ones? I need durable and comfortable. Have Silca now but are only OK. Some of my favorites are MAC Tools t-handle, comfortable and an actual T. Not the P-handle from Park and Pedro's
Old 01-27-2021, 08:09 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000CSI View Post
What hex wrenches does everybody think are the best ones? I need durable and comfortable. Have Silca now but are only OK. Some of my favorites are MAC Tools t-handle, comfortable and an actual T. Not the P-handle from Park and Pedro's
My fave is still the Park Tri-Key. But I like the original version. Aside from that, the Lezyne. Both due to the shape. The Lezyne is heavy tho but has replaceable bits. The new Park ones, HATE the shape of those. I don't normally use t-handles. Don't like the feel of them. But I only have the Craftsman and Park versions. Not sure if I'd like the Silca versions. Eventually I'll get some to try.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:12 PM

I've got a set of Bondhus t-handles that were cheap enough and have served me well, but I am looking for a nice set of sliding t-handle wrenches for more accessibility if anyone has reccomendations. Just saw pb swiss has some, any others?
Old 01-28-2021, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewsmith View Post
I've got a set of Bondhus t-handles that were cheap enough and have served me well, but I am looking for a nice set of sliding t-handle wrenches for more accessibility if anyone has reccomendations. Just saw pb swiss has some, any others?
Wiha, Wera, Beta, Facom...lots out there.

Take a look at the Bondhus Pivoting Hex wrenches (these are often known by their original name, Motion Pro). My favorite for bicycle work. They are L-shaped to break loose the fastener, then pivot to straight to spin it out quickly.

http://www.amazon.com/Bondhus-00027-.../dp/B07NDWQZTN
Old 01-28-2021, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I call it the caliper resetter which in fact pushing the pistons back. Yes this is better than the park tool.
Fair! Thanks - I’ll keep an eye out for this.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:39 AM

Quote:
PB SWISS for "L" bend by a mile. Not sure about the T-Handle type, I would think ones that take removeable bits.

https://www.amazon.com/PB-Swiss-212L...78385488&psc=1
Old 01-28-2021, 07:36 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Ha!-I'm just the opposite of Velocipede, I do not like tri wrenches!
These are what I like so far. https://www.mactools.com/en-us/Hex-a...le-Hex-Key-Set
The vinyl covered handle is comfy, well at least it doesn't dig into my skin in high torque situations. The hex goes all the way to the handle so as the tip wears you can cut it off to get fresh edges. But I am wondering if a tool like the Facom sliding t-handle would have better tip treatment to have better durability.

Has anybody used the Feedback Sports hex wrench set?
https://www.feedbacksports.com/produ...ndle-tool-kit/

PB Swiss do look like quality. Have to check them out. I wonder if they make the Silca tools?
Old 01-28-2021, 08:25 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. Ha!-I'm just the opposite of Velocipede, I do not like tri wrenches!
These are what I like so far. https://www.mactools.com/en-us/Hex-a...le-Hex-Key-Set
The vinyl covered handle is comfy, well at least it doesn't dig into my skin in high torque situations. The hex goes all the way to the handle so as the tip wears you can cut it off to get fresh edges. But I am wondering if a tool like the Facom sliding t-handle would have better tip treatment to have better durability.

PB Swiss do look like quality. Have to check them out. I wonder if they make the Silca tools?
I have ones like the Mac Tools but they don't get used as much. I also have Bondhus ball end on a scrwedriver handle that get used more than the Mac style t-handles. The Feedback/Silca style, I'm just not a fan of the t part sliding and them being so long. Guess it's just me.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tepextate View Post

I just picked up a Knipex plier wrench after browsing this thread a bit. If I have this Knipex plier wrench, do I still need a full wrench set? Said another way, is there anything that the Knipex plier wrench won't do for my bicycle maintenance purposes that I'll need multiple wrenches for?
I didn't buy them specifically for working on bikes. I try to do as much maintenance on my cars as time and patience will allow. I think you'd be fine with those Knipex pliers (assuming they are the cobras that have tons of adjustability).
Old 01-28-2021, 03:33 PM

Quote:

The Mac versions look suspiciously like the Bondhus, and the Bondhus are half the price. http://www.amazon.com/Bondhus-13189-.../dp/B00012Y38M

I have a set of the Bondhus t-handles, and a couple of sets of L-keys, hex screwdrivers, etc. but after I bought a set of the pivoting L-wrenches, I use them more than any other. If it is a high-torque situation (e.g. pedals) I'll use a ratchet and hex socket. Or breaker bar and hex socket.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:03 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:

I've never liked 3-way wrenches.

The van has a set of Park sliding T-handle wrenches. They're nicer than the p-handles, but I end up using the p-handles much more often. I like the ergos better on the p-handle better

My $.02 and worth what you've paid for it

M
Old 02-03-2021, 12:54 AM
foo

Late arrival today.

Old 02-24-2021, 01:14 AM
foo

I got tired of the slide hammer on the blind bearing puller kit (similar to the one Velocipede showed in post #344)... just got one of these generic puller kits that gently “presses” the bearing out.... much more civil and quiet.