Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2018, 11:00 AM
Randomhead

have you ever reported a Strava segment?

I rode a 600km brevet over the weekend, and I started late from the overnight. I had trouble keeping up with my caloric needs in the morning, so I got back to the finish near the time cutoff. When I noticed I only had 8 minutes left, I started sprinting, setting a number of personal records on Strava.

One of the segments on that stretch of roads has a stop sign halfway at a not-quite-90 degree intersection. People have done the segment in half as much time as me, which means they ride through that intersection at high speed, probably 30+ mph.

I have no idea when they are doing this, sometimes there is zero traffic there. But it just seems like a segment that should go away. Should I report it?

The segment is called "burn the turn" in Frederick Md. And yes, the turn you are burning is the one with the stop sign in it.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:11 AM
That guy..

did it bug you that they beat your time? is that why you want to flag the segment?

or.

are you trying to promote safer riding.
because flagging the segment wont change that.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:18 AM

I remember once at the end of a 600 km brevet, I thought I was going 20 mph. But I looked down at my computer and it was only 13 mph.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:20 AM

go ahead and flag it. but it'll prolly get re-created and like said above, people will still burn the turn regardless.

rode in Frederick a couple times. awesome climbing out there. it's where I cursed Strava the most though, as I got caught on the ridge Northwest of town, attempting to descend segments I had routed to. they were dirt/gravel mixtures and I was on a road bike with 25mm tires, and fenders. not fun. I wish Strava segments indicated road conditions.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:22 AM

i report dangerous downhill segments. dangerous in the view of a competent cat-3 racer with a good engine but not the best of handling skills

one other thing to check is whether those records were set in an organized race

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
go ahead and flag it. but it'll prolly get re-created and like said above, people will still burn the turn regardless.

rode in Frederick a couple times. awesome climbing out there. it's where I cursed Strava the most though, as I got caught on the ridge Northwest of town, attempting to descend segments I had routed to. they were dirt/gravel mixtures and I was on a road bike with 25mm tires, and fenders. not fun. I wish Strava segments indicated road conditions.
saw your post after I posted mine. those descents are exactly the ones I had in mind. you look at it, and say to yourself, 1.5 miles at 10%, not too bad, but once you ride in, holy s*** it's scary
Old 10-16-2018, 11:55 AM

I didn't report it myself, but I do know that a segment much like what you described (blowing through a Stop sign, in this scenario on a downhill) did disappear and despite the many riders that were logged as having completed it, it never did come back.

I agree with others that it wont fix unsafe riding habits, but it might curtail someone from trying to do something they shouldn't. Especially now with Strava Live Segments on many computers.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:19 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktng View Post
did it bug you that they beat your time? is that why you want to flag the segment?

or.

are you trying to promote safer riding.
because flagging the segment wont change that.
I only use strava because my rides get automatically uploaded to Trainerroad. I do this because I want to track training stress. No way I'm getting any KOM's at my pathetic FTP. I'm more likely to get DFL, but Strava doesn't point that out for some reason.

Safety and advocacy are why flagging this segment occurred to me. Sure, people might blow through that stop sign anyway, but I really doubt they will be doing it quite so fast. The segment ends at the top of an overpass, so to get an average of 26mph, people are most likely in a dead sprint through the intersection. And my guess is it would be with witnesses. I'll have to check to see if it was during a race, I suppose given the location that it's possible. on edit: top 10 are all on different days, I think that means there was no race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
I remember once at the end of a 600 km brevet, I thought I was going 20 mph. But I looked down at my computer and it was only 13 mph.
I'm not going to say this has never happened to me, because Sunday there were a couple of times I thought I was moving okay, looked down to find I was going 11mph. But then I started force-feeding myself oreos and I was moving okay by the end of the ride. OTOH, a bike with 32mm tires and a couple of heavy bags "sprinting" is a relative term, and accelerating to a decent speed can take a while.

Last edited by unterhausen; 10-16-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:30 PM
Kind of OK

I've horsed a couple of segments only to see that the guy ahead of me did it at 52 mph...they forgot to turn their Garmin off when they put the bike on the car. Happens all the time.
I also make it a point to put "wind aided" in my ride title if I snag a KOM due to wind. I figure no one is out there with a wind gauge like at track meets, so wind is fair game, but I like to note it.

Added:
Jeebus, I was just looking for a pithy photo to attach and I saw a reference to someone throwing their Garmin the last 30 feet or so to snag a KOM. Sheesh.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:37 PM
Randomhead

when I looked harder at the leaderboard, everyone but the first place guy on this segment averaged 23mph, 3mph less than the leader. So maybe the first guy was on an ebike

Throwing the Garmin is genius.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:20 PM

I've flagged once for someone blatantly forgetting to stop their Garmin while they were driving home at 55mph on a 3% ascent.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:40 PM

I've seen segments that used to be a straight-stretch, that the DOT will have since added a stop-sign.

I should probably advocate locally for such sensible traffic-calming measures on any and all KOM-segments that I'm the current holder of.

Last edited by Seamus; 10-16-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:33 PM
Randomhead

Don't the segments disappear though?
Old 10-16-2018, 03:08 PM

I've flagged segments, never riders. We have a trail, the W&OD, that the entire thing is flagged almost. And should be. It's a crowded trail used by all sorts of users. Don't need some boy-racer plowing people over to snag a segment on that thing.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:21 PM

Reminded me of this article where Strava was sued (several suits have been filed, I believe) because riders were killed or injured in the Bay Area for attempting to set downhill Strava records. The particular case identified in the article was tossed, I believe. I think that there's a discussion of attempting to take down the segments but that slightly different ones were set up shortly thereafter. Crazy stuff.

People can misuse any tool.

Here's the link: https://www.outsideonline.com/179760...a-wins-lawsuit
Old 10-16-2018, 03:34 PM
Classics Fan

just rename it to something equally pithy.

burn the turn, then journey in a gurney.