Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2018, 10:30 AM

New Everything New Costs Too Much Thread - Silca (not Rapha)

Who isn't ready to complain about a $108 Y-Wrench?

https://silca.cc/pages/6-16-launch?u...eid=e44c17a90c

Some of this stuff looks cool. YMMV
Old 10-16-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
I'm in!

I like Silca in general but not a fan of this one. I like the Park approach with just a couple (non-configurable) Y tools rather than fiddling around with bits. much easier to realize what size you need and just reach for one tool or the other. they should've just done that, but with better quality, and without the case.

also, Abbey did it (much) better: https://www.abbeybiketools.com/colle...products/4-way
Old 10-16-2018, 10:42 AM

For only $36 you can just get the wrench and supply your own bits!

I could probably live without the wooden box and bits.

But I don't know that I want a Y-wrench with 4 and 5mm keys even if I needed that size. I use the smaller Park ones some but at for larger sizes like 4 and 5mm I'd rather use something else.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:43 AM

The Abbey tool is nice, I carry it on my road bike. With a chain breaker it covers what I feel I really need.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
I'm in!

I like Silca in general but not a fan of this one. I like the Park approach with just a couple (non-configurable) Y tools rather than fiddling around with bits. much easier to realize what size you need and just reach for one tool or the other. they should've just done that, but with better quality, and without the case.

also, Abbey did it (much) better: https://www.abbeybiketools.com/colle...products/4-way
I am a big fan of both Edward and the Abbey tools. The Crombie rules. I like the case for my Silca allen and hex set because it enforces putting things back in one place but a case for the Y, not so much.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:57 AM

So I got this email as well. I'm not interested in pretty much any of the Silca stuff, but I do have a question concerning the pump. What;s the point of having a pressure gauge that goes all the way up to 220 PSI? What tires could people possibly be using that require this kind of pressure? Accuracy is listed at 2% I think, so if the gauge only went up to 110 PSI, it would be twice as accurate. I'd actually like a pump with a gauge that only goes up to 50 psi!
Old 10-16-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeNY View Post
So I got this email as well. I'm not interested in pretty much any of the Silca stuff, but I do have a question concerning the pump. What;s the point of having a pressure gauge that goes all the way up to 220 PSI? What tires could people possibly be using that require this kind of pressure? Accuracy is listed at 2% I think, so if the gauge only went up to 110 PSI, it would be twice as accurate. I'd actually like a pump with a gauge that only goes up to 50 psi!
People still ride 150 plus on tubulars at the track.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:06 AM
Classics Fan

I believe the forum archives will have the answer for you. Ahneida has been telling us for years, it is the FRNs. He is a prophet, and the prophecy has come to raise the prices.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:07 AM
Randomhead

I found myself thinking that the silca frame pump wasn't so expensive the other day so I slapped myself.

I really like the park wrenches. Not a big fan of detachable bits in a tool like that. But I think the Silca tool is a poor man's Veblen good. It's a luxury item that's not so expensive that an underemployed cyclist couldn't afford it.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I like the case for my Silca allen and hex set because it enforces putting things back in one place but a case for the Y, not so much.
I have the Silca sliding hexes and like them a lot. the case is great because it attaches to my bike stand, so they're always right there. and like you said, promotes me actually putting them away. the wooden cases make less sense for shop tools, because I'd never close the thing and it would have to live on the bench itself, or table top, etc. occupies valuable space I need for random parts I leave laying around for months on end, and beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeNY View Post
I'd actually like a pump with a gauge that only goes up to 50 psi!
Silca has a gauge that only goes up to 60. BUT you have to buy the Superpista Ultimate to use it.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:10 AM

if the collet locks the bit in place, that thing is gosh darn brilliant. if it's just a magnet holding the bit, i'll continue my streak of passing on everything Silca has released of late.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:34 PM

Ridiculous. I have a bunch of Silva stuff, all very expensive and all flawed in significant ways. Not going there any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2018, 03:38 PM
v a n i l l a

I'm in once opening the lid fires off a small LED and some downloadable pre-recorded music so I can better see which bit I am choosing and get in the right mood.

I do like the BOA closure that differentiates my silca seat roll.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:19 PM
Forward the Foundation

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
if the collet locks the bit in place, that thing is gosh darn brilliant. if it's just a magnet holding the bit, i'll continue my streak of passing on everything Silca has released of late.
Looks to be compatible with the Wera speed chuck.

https://www.kctoolco.com/wera-051024...-25-pouch-set/
Old 10-16-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:

https://silca.cc/pages/6-16-launch?u...eid=e44c17a90c

Some of this stuff looks cool. YMMV
I am not ready to complain. I am not going to buy one, but why should I complain about it?

Jeff