Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-10-2018, 01:51 PM

OT: Sigh...ebay used to be fun...

What is wrong with people? Sold a new Apple keyboard for $76, 4 days later opened a "Buyer didn't pay" case. Then I get this from the buyer...

Read from the bottom up...

Whatever.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 2.47.34 PM.png (50.1 KB, 564 views)
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 10-10-2018, 01:55 PM

Report the buyer to eBay and re-list the item. Not much more to do than that.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:59 PM

what a freaking child...

edit: also, I'll give ya $50
Old 10-10-2018, 02:10 PM

Probably the same person that spent 15 hours at our ski swap before she dropped $75 on a used race boot (mens)
Old 10-10-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Report the buyer to eBay and re-list the item. Not much more to do than that.
Right. If I follow the rules, technically I have to wait 4 days to close the Non-Paying Buyer report, then I receive fee reimbursement and can relist. I can't even make a second chance offer to the next bidder (at $1 lower) yet....

I will close the report in 4 days, but I've already listed the item again (as a new listing). I think the insertion fee is $.35, so I'm okay with that....

It just sucks that meatheads pull this crap. I wish I could block all buyers with less than 20 positive feedbacks...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 10-10-2018, 02:21 PM

Not sure if you can do this any longer, but you used to be able to look up the contact details of your buyer. I once had a #$%@#$% do something like this so I gave him a call and asked why he would bid on something, not pay and waste my time. Guy paid that evening.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:30 PM

Same people that do dooshy stuff everywhere else do it on eBay.

My jerk-experience in real life has probably mirrored that of eBay, if fact eBay might even be a little better. I once tracked down a seller who was trying to stiff me on a bike and I sent an email to his work address. I got the bike after that.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:35 PM

Childish at best.

Nyah, nyah... you can't make me...

Buyers are completely in charge at eBay nowadays... however even given that crazy (but apparently more profitable) dynamic... missing here: "Sorry about that. Apologize for the inconvenience."
Old 10-10-2018, 02:38 PM

Had the opposite just recently. Won an auction for a reasonable, but somewhat low price. Sent an email to the seller to confirm condition and shipping expectations prior to payment - I've had a number of "not as described" problems lately and definitely didn't want to get a frameset that's been packed inappropriately - and the seller came back with a snarky comment about how low of a price it sold for and that he wanted me to pay for insured shipping. That made me lose all confidence, so I was thinking a bit more before paying. Got another email from the seller - still under 24hrs since the auction ended - saying he didn't want to sell to me. Good riddance I guess, but eBay keeps telling me to pay still..

Sigh. Humans.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Had the opposite just recently. Won an auction for a reasonable, but somewhat low price. Sent an email to the seller to confirm condition and shipping expectations prior to payment - I've had a number of "not as described" problems lately and definitely didn't want to get a frameset that's been packed inappropriately - and the seller came back with a snarky comment about how low of a price it sold for and that he wanted me to pay for insured shipping. That made me lose all confidence, so I was thinking a bit more before paying. Got another email from the seller - still under 24hrs since the auction ended - saying he didn't want to sell to me. Good riddance I guess, but eBay keeps telling me to pay still..

Sigh. Humans.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Isn't "I don't want to sell for less than X" what reserve prices and BIN are for? ****ty.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:50 PM

I have been a seller (and a buyer) on eBay for many years. Like most marketing opportunities, there are both good and bad attributes attached to the opportunity - in this case the opportunity is eBay.

Lots of dickheads out there. Bike geeks. Computer geeks. You name it. Lots of weird folks. . . but I try not to lose sight of the reality that without eBay, what I sell would not get in front of millions of pairs of eyeballs. I would not be able to successfully sell what I do without the eBay platform.

Does it come with problems - of course it does. Wish it didn't - fortunately, it's a minor enough and infrequent enough problem that the opportunity to get in front of such a huge market is worth the hassle.

YMMV
Old 10-10-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderworks View Post
I have been a seller (and a buyer) on eBay for many years. Like most marketing opportunities, there are both good and bad attributes attached to the opportunity - in this case the opportunity is eBay.

Lots of dickheads out there. Bike geeks. Computer geeks. You name it. Lots of weird folks. . . but I try not to lose sight of the reality that without eBay, what I sell would not get in front of millions of pairs of eyeballs. I would not be able to successfully sell what I do without the eBay platform.

Does it come with problems - of course it does. Wish it didn't - fortunately, it's a minor enough and infrequent enough problem that the opportunity to get in front of such a huge market is worth the hassle.

YMMV
Facebook groups aren't perfect, but they are another option. And exist for most anything you might be interested in..
Old 10-10-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Isn't "I don't want to sell for less than X" what reserve prices and BIN are for? ****ty.
That's probably (will-power dependent) the last offer I ever put in on a carbon anything without knowing and vetting the seller beforehand. Just not worth it. Too much can go wrong, and potentially without you even knowing it - shipping damage or stress to the carbon I mean. Some things are just better bought in person and/or with warranties. As much as my cheapskate self wants a deal, my OCD self seems to be winning out...
Old 10-10-2018, 03:04 PM

Everyone has a tinge of weird and everyone can sometimes be the occasional asshole. Ebay is where you run the risk of running into a lot of very weird huge assholes. It's pretty unfortunate.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortwaveradio View Post
Everyone has a tinge of weird and everyone can sometimes be the occasional asshole. Ebay is where you run the risk of running into a lot of very weird huge assholes. It's pretty unfortunate.
I actually think you could make that statement about any retail work environment.