Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2018, 11:17 AM

https://shop.laufforks.com/product-c...shop_columns=6
Old 03-03-2018, 11:47 AM

Hey ptourkin,can you provide ride report and review of the trail donkey in your showcase thread? Have been poking on their site and saw you had one.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrider View Post
Is that customer orders, or dealer manadatory minimums being met?
I spoke with him again today and he indicated that was orders from bike shops, not mandatory stock. He had planned on ordering a few for his shop and they were sold out before he could place an order.
Earliest availability for the carbon Ultegra SL6 is May.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguedog View Post
Hey ptourkin,can you provide ride report and review of the trail donkey in your showcase thread? Have been poking on their site and saw you had one.
Will try this weekend. Short version, it's a super fun bike made by cool people. I've used it for gravel, singletrack and bikepacking. With skinny tires, it was also my backup/climbing bike for the Silver State 508 this year.

Get on the new ones. As I said above, as more of a roadie, the 31 post was something I noticed. The new ones will have a 27.2 and IMO it will be more comfy for the long haul. They will send me a shim to bond in if I decide to go that way and switch mine.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
Will try this weekend. Short version, it's a super fun bike made by cool people. I've used it for gravel, singletrack and bikepacking. With skinny tires, it was also my backup/climbing bike for the Silver State 508 this year.

Get on the new ones. As I said above, as more of a roadie, the 31 post was something I noticed. The new ones will have a 27.2 and IMO it will be more comfy for the long haul. They will send me a shim to bond in if I decide to go that way and switch mine.
I'm registered for the 508 this year (4 person relay) and planning to ride my checkpoint with road tires. Any tips or suggestions are welcome!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2018, 02:43 PM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMiller View Post
76mm bottom bracket drop, so very very low, I see this is as a very good thing for 700c, not all bikes have to be 650b.
I don't think 6mm will be the difference between striking pedals and not for 99% riders.

Trek said the same thing about the Crockett that my friend rides with 650B wheels. No reason not to and clearance if there for some big tires. He's running 42mm and they look tiny in there.

It's smart for Trek to stock with 700c since most of the market has no idea what 650b road is. That's fine, they can learn along the way if they choose. This bike might have other clearance issues, but if it can clear a 650X48 or 50, then I see no reason it couldn't be run that way. That's like telling the rider they can't put 25mm tires on there because the BB is too low.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
I don't think 6mm will be the difference between striking pedals and not for 99% riders.

Trek said the same thing about the Crockett that my friend rides with 650B wheels. No reason not to and clearance if there for some big tires. He's running 42mm and they look tiny in there.

It's smart for Trek to stock with 700c since most of the market has no idea what 650b road is. That's fine, they can learn along the way if they choose. This bike might have other clearance issues, but if it can clear a 650X48 or 50, then I see no reason it couldn't be run that way. That's like telling the rider they can't put 25mm tires on there because the BB is too low.
Why run 650B x 48 or 50 mm when you can run 700c x 48 or 50 mm on the bike? Honestly asking, not rhetorical.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:57 PM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbhidy View Post
Why run 650B x 48 or 50 mm when you can run 700c x 48 or 50 mm on the bike? Honestly asking, not rhetorical.

OD is smaller so bike feels smaller and more nimble to me. Wheels are lighter too.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:

Feel: the smaller diameter wheel feels like it's easier to spin up to speed and probably is
Handling: steering feels more sluggish with the larger diameter; trail is slightly increased with the increased tire diameter
TCO: smaller is better
Standover/ride height: given the choice I'd rather have my center of gravity lower, even if it is just a little
Weight: less mass
Old 08-10-2018, 03:13 PM

19.3 is light for an Ultegra equipped bike with a double crankset, aluminum wheels, aluminum bars, and metal rail saddle.
That is what bikes that are off-road worthy weigh.
18 lb. Is a weight for a gravel bike with carbon parts.
To get lighter than that it takes a 1x, or less of an offroad tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
Seems to do a lot. I wonder does it do any of it well? or does it just do a lot? i don't find it good looking at all, but not ugly either. I wonder how much it weighs? an article says 19.3 lbs.

Black and white bikes, yawn

I think if you know what you want, one can build something more for their own purposes and preferences for the same price or cheaper weighing much less. But if one was not sure what one wanted... this could be a good swiss army knife type solution, isn't as clumsy as the 520, and isn't a porker under 20lbs.

I'm sure some of them will be sold.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:15 PM

For someone who understand geometry better than me and races cyclocross. What would the limitations of this geometry be for cyclocross? I see the BB drop is about 1 cm more than most CX bikes, but I rarely find myself pedal striking in races and wonder if that is a big deal or not? Do you all think this bike could serve both CX and Gravel duties?
Old 10-16-2018, 02:23 PM

I've used mine for a CX Clinic with zero issues and plan to race it as well in a few weeks.

As pack fodder attacking off the back, I see little in the bike that will hold me back!

Old 10-16-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobswire View Post
Thanks for the idea.
Ditto
Old 10-16-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I'm registered for the 508 this year (4 person relay) and planning to ride my checkpoint with road tires. Any tips or suggestions are welcome!

Just saw this. Hope it went well. What was your totem? I saw you both ways at Austin, either way - I was running the TS.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:34 PM

Totem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
Just saw this. Hope it went well. What was your totem? I saw you both ways at Austin, either way - I was running the TS.
Team Super Tabby!

I was rider D, so I rode east out of Austin about 6:30 pm Friday and got to the summit at sunset. My teammates took the following amazing photo:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn848A6l...aken-by=fbhidy I'm actually only in the 1st and last photos in the series of the Instagram post.

Thanks for being out there!