Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2018, 03:53 PM

Vintage Bike Question

I don't know much about vintage road bikes. Someone offered this to me and I'm really not sure what it's worth. 70's Guerciotti. The decals are mostly gone so I can't see what level tubing it is. The lugs are nice, the paint isn't super. All campy minus the odd Shimano rear derailleur, wheels are laced up to record hubs, record 27.2 seatpost. Not sure the deal on the crap saddle and the rear rack. The pantographed campy crankset and pantographed stem tell me it's worth something on top of the build but not sure what that number would be and haven't found much on ebay to help. Any helpful input would be appreciated.

Old 10-16-2018, 04:00 PM

In that condition I probably wouldn’t pay more than $250
Old 10-16-2018, 04:02 PM

That bike worth just because of the parts...
Old 10-16-2018, 04:05 PM

Paint and chrome condition are going to kill the value. Panto'ed parts are only of interest to those with a Guerc bike to put them on. It appears to be a decent model, I'd put a value at $300 TOPS as it sits if I were to buy it. I'm sure others will say different, but that thing is rough. Nice bike, but in rough shape.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
That bike worth just because of the parts...
Yeah you’re right. I revise my valuation to $100
Old 10-16-2018, 04:41 PM

With that much rust on the outside I'd worry about rust on the inside of the frame/fork. If it fits it might be a fun thing to ride once in a while but I don't see any collector value. I wonder if the BB and hubs are still useable.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
With that much rust on the outside I'd worry about rust on the inside of the frame/fork. If it fits it might be a fun thing to ride once in a while but I don't see any collector value. I wonder if the BB and hubs are still useable.
I wouldn't be riding it. Just a flip. I'll probably pass. I've cleaned up rust much much worse than that and ridden afterwords on vintage cruisers I restore...happens to everything in the northeast...this is surface, you just need to know how to properly rid of it
Old 10-16-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCannonCam View Post
I wouldn't be riding it. Just a flip. I'll probably pass. I've cleaned up rust much much worse than that and ridden afterwords on vintage cruisers I restore...happens to everything in the northeast...
If it’s a flip it’s definitely not worth it.

You can clean up the oxidization on the panto levers but you’d have to source hoods.

Honestly the wheels might be the most valuable thing on the whole bike. The frame looks thrashed
Old 10-16-2018, 04:54 PM

Cool project to start for $100-$150. You will need to spend a lot of time or money to make the bike shine.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:21 PM

Except for that spot on the downtube and fork crown, the condition doesn’t look all that bad to me. I would take a close look under the top tube, worried that the isolated rust spots might be from “used on the trainer” sweat.

Depending on how much rust and how well the frame cleans up, you could confidently get a total of $400, maybe more, on a part out. I would probably get all the rust off that fork crown and then paint it to match everything else or maybe yellow to match the logo. Sticker suggests Columbus SL which is most likely for this vintage frame. You can confirm by feeling for spirals in the fork steerer.

Tags
vintage bike