Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2018, 01:31 PM
Gravel Grinder

One More Surly Pugsley 1x11 Drivetrain Question

Last thread on this, I promise!

For those of you who have helped me so far, my sincerest thanks. For those who haven't, you still have a chance to! Seriously, I recently bought a 2012 Pugsley, and it had been converted to a 1x9, with a Deore rear derailleur, an 11-34 9-speed cassette and a SRAM X5 double crankset with 22/36 rings (but only using the 36t ring with a Paul chainkeeper - no FD). I need a lower gear, especially for the upcoming snow riding, so I was inquiring on how to best achieve this at a minimal cost. After a bunch of input, I decided to replace the 36t ring with a 32t Race Face N/W ring, and I also decided to go to 11-speed. So I ordered an SLX RD and shifter, 11 speed chain and an 11-speed 11-42 cassette. So I think I'm all set. But now I'd like to investigate replacing the crankset, getting rid of the double and going to a 1X crank. But I'm not sure what crank would be compatible so that the chainline is right. The Pug has a 100mm bb shell. The original crankset (stock) on the 2012 Pug was a double TruVativ Hussefelt.
Can someone suggest compatible 1X cranksets that will fit the bill?

I swore I wasn't going to replace the whole drivetrain, but that obviously didn't pan out I should know myself better...
Old 10-16-2018, 02:45 PM

Can you just keep the current double crank, but only mount one chainring on it? You might need shorter chainring bolts, but it should work.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp43 View Post
Can you just keep the current double crank, but only mount one chainring on it? You might need shorter chainring bolts, but it should work.
This is what I would do unless you want to go smaller than 30t in the front.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:59 PM
Gravel Grinder

If that's the smartest option then I'll just keep the crank on it like it is now. I guess it won't hurt anything to have both rings, I'll just remove the chain keeper since I'll be using the narrow wide ring. Then the 22t ring will be there if I ever need it.

Thanks for saving me some money I didn't really need to spend