Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-08-2020, 08:32 PM

Covid delays: Paul Components

I need validation, in one way or another. Should I be upset?

I ordered Klampers and levers on 7/6 from our dealer account. Still, a ton of money for simple parts. This was prior to them posting delays on their website, and all items were in stock.

It took them 4 days to process my order and charge my card. I sent an email asking for an update 3 weeks later, just to get an automated response. They sent a Shipping notification on 7/31 with a tracking number. As of today, 8/8, it still shows are being at Paul, never picked up by USPS. I emailed again, automated response. I called their shop, straight to voicemail. I DM'd on Instagram, canned response.

So it's over a month since I ordered my parts and I have no clue when/if they'll arrive. I've dealt with a lot of companies during Covid, and none have acted like Paul has. It's been a total buzzkill for the parts I ordered. Should I be pissed or am I not being patient enough?
Old 08-08-2020, 09:03 PM

What state are they located in? I ordered a new bike in July and it likely won’t get shipped for another two weeks. I sent an email to the shop to verify a few things and never got a response, so a few days later I called and talked with somebody at the shop. I am not too concerned since I have enough bikes to ride and keep me busy.

Not sure what the deal at Paul is, but I hope that they can keep making and selling quality parts. I would see if you may be able to call and speak with somebody. Some supply chains are broken and some states still have oppressive lockdowns to businesses and that may be what is happening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2020, 09:06 PM
Vendor

I ordered something and asked to have it next day aired and it took them 4 days just to ship it out. Not Paul's by the way.

The whole COVID thing is messing with everyone.
I have 5 packages lost in the mail or in limbo. UPS is adding at least a day in shipping times. FedEx is doing the same. Customs has been delaying things too. It's freaking nuts.

The best company I've found right now for service and having stock, Campy. I know it sounds odd. But since they are a smaller market, they have stuff. Shimano on the other hand has hundreds of backorders on simple things like chains and cassettes.

I would just message them again at everything you can think of- FB, IG, email, phone, everything.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:08 PM

no excuse for bad communication. I would be pretty annoyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
I need validation, in one way or another. Should I be upset?

I ordered Klampers and levers on 7/6 from our dealer account. Still, a ton of money for simple parts. This was prior to them posting delays on their website, and all items were in stock.

It took them 4 days to process my order and charge my card. I sent an email asking for an update 3 weeks later, just to get an automated response. They sent a Shipping notification on 7/31 with a tracking number. As of today, 8/8, it still shows are being at Paul, never picked up by USPS. I emailed again, automated response. I called their shop, straight to voicemail. I DM'd on Instagram, canned response.

So it's over a month since I ordered my parts and I have no clue when/if they'll arrive. I've dealt with a lot of companies during Covid, and none have acted like Paul has. It's been a total buzzkill for the parts I ordered. Should I be pissed or am I not being patient enough?
Old 08-08-2020, 09:25 PM

Pro deal pricing...not first in line to ship IMO

Still a PITA and they could certainly talk to you .
Old 08-08-2020, 09:26 PM

They normally have a staff of 13. They are down to 5. They made a video explaining their covid protocols. I just don't believe they are THAT busy. I know the bike industry is nuts right now, but I don't think boutique brands like Paul are operating in full panic mode all the time with no time to pick up the phone or answer an email.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Pro deal pricing...not first in line to ship IMO

Still a PITA and they could certainly talk to you .
Agreed, and I get that. I don't need first class special customer service...I need some sort of service at all. My order in May took a week.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
What state are they located in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
California.

I avoid ordering anything unless it´s absolutely necessary. Shipping is complete madness right now. I have been asked silly money just for delivery costs.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
California.

I avoid ordering anything unless it´s absolutely necessary. Shipping is complete madness right now. I have been asked silly money just for delivery costs.
That is what I thought. They should still be able to communicate to their customers, but they are operating under some of the strictest guidelines in the country.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:51 PM

I can't say that this is what happened, but USPS is a total mess right now, so I wouldn't be surprised if he dropped it off with them even if it's not showing up in their system.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:55 PM

I have one incoming and multiple outgoing packages that aren’t getting scans as they move through USPS. One went without updates for two weeks and was delivered without any tracking scans. Workers are being stretched thinner than ever and have been forbidden from taking overtime. This is more than likely not on Paul.

The politically driven dismantling of this public service is having direct and measured negative effects on small business and individuals across the country.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:00 PM

Covid delays: Paul Components

It’s not just isolated to the cycling industry, but independents really need to invest in stream lining the administrative side of the business.

Even something simple like setting aside time everyday for customer correspondence, anything to set customers expectations. Ideally use methods that scale; a notice of delayed shipments on website or automated emails.

Yes, I understand there are a lot of factors at play right now; supply chain issues, short staff, etc.

Optimizing now during a pandemic can only benefit a business once things return back to normal too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by many_styles; 08-08-2020 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:48 PM

Some other boutique vendors are having similar issues - but not all. I had some Phil Woods parts on order for over two months with no movement - eventually gave up and ordered White Industries equivalents about a week ago. The White order arrived yesterday
Old 08-09-2020, 06:19 AM
That guy..

Hit or miss with some vendors.
However. Weird. Good though. I ordered Kogel BB and other parts. They shipped from El Paso TX. Within 12hrs. It's in Canada. Shipped DHL.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:51 AM

I bought a frame on EBay on July 18 from a private seller in Florida. It’s being shipped through some FEDX option that involves a handoff to USPS. It arrived in DC a week ago and I finally got a tracking notice last night that it was leaving DC. will interested to see how long the final 15 mile leg of the trip takes. USPS has some major challenges right now to say the least.

Tags
great parts, paul, ratf*cking, trump appointee, voter suppression