Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-20-2018, 06:48 AM

I see they plan on giving a 25 year warranty on the cages...so that means I could do D2R2 at the age of 80 and not worry about replacements if I break my cages...I'm in!
Old 04-20-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
There is so much negativity on the forum these days and I don’t get it.

Premium products exist and the market will decide if they are viable or not. Personally I dig what Silca is doing. Not all of their products are necessarily for me; but let’s remember they are a small business trying to carve out a way and doing things their way, and are cycling enthusiasts. No need to throw stones at the good guys IMO.
I like Silca and in principal, I agree with you. The problem for me is that there has to be more than just a premium 'branding opportunity'. If the Silca cages offer some real improvement that merits a substantial price increase over the King, then fine. If all that is happening is an opportunity to buy some similar cage with an imprint logo, then, well....

We'll see.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:17 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
I have King cages on both my bikes, one set Ti and the other steel. Never lost a bottle and I like the old school look. As for the Silca ones, I just appreciate the fact that something non-carbon is being introduced!

Tim
Yup, ti is the new carbon...

I applaud Silca for doing something other than pumps..good for them. I think US made ti cages, regardless of brand(I wish Ron would make a titanium Iris tho)...are still far better than some 'off shore' stuff that is ridiculously expensive..like these.

$50 or so per, steel..no thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nittocages1.jpg (18.2 KB, 296 views)
Old 04-20-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Yup, ti is the new carbon...

I applaud Silca for doing something other than pumps..good for them. I think US made ti cages, regardless of brand(I wish Ron would make a titanium Iris tho)...are still far better than some 'off shore' stuff that is ridiculously expensive..like these.

$50 or so per, steel..no thanks

Well, I love King cages too, but no reason to besmirch Nitto. Those “R” cages are a work of art.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Well, I love King cages too, but no reason to besmirch Nitto. Those “R” cages are a work of art.
Agree with you there, those cages are still handmade, and has a beautiful polish, and one of the lightest steel cages at 40 gms. They are that price because it is a steel tube, and not just a steel wire.

Last edited by yashcha; 04-20-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:27 AM
aka RAEKWON

I don't know why people get so bent out of shape... if you want to continue to support King Cage then buy their stuff.

I actually prefer the King cage steel stuff over the TI, the ti ones are too thick and ugly on most bikes (unless big tubbed TI, imo) and WAY too expensive.

The silca ones look nice, they look more polished but they will probably be even more expensive. Its good to have options. Remember, just support what you like...

Last edited by R3awak3n; 04-20-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:42 AM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
For me King Cage is kinda a sacred space. Love the idea that some guy in his garage decided to make really good waterbottle cages.
Agreed. It's just kinda old-school cool. And the Iris cages work! No bottles flying out as you go over a railroad crossing at speed. I remember racing and worrying about dying from the half dozen completely-filled bottles being ejected by other racers' crappy cages.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:55 AM
Shoegazer

Dear, Silca: make these instead.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572cv View Post
If you went to NAHBS and the King booth, and watched the terrific demonstration of bending and building a cage..... well, that was a treat. And instructive.
Yes! I was there, great demo.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
For me King Cage is kinda a sacred space. Love the idea that some guy in his garage decided to make really good waterbottle cages. he has been able to do it over so many years. I wanted a King Cage on my bike when I was 19 and I want one on my bike at 46. Other than a CK headset no other component I can say that (Kooka cranks didnt make the cut).

Silca is awesome. Awesome products, awesome owners, awesome CC, awesome for cycling. I just like my ti cages from Ron. It's personal.
This. King does my cages, Silca does my pumps, CK my headsets and Facom does (or did) my hex.

I'm still rolling a CK headset from 1993. Still using a silca track pump I got around 1980. My king cages will be willed to my daughters. I want to be buried with the Facoms.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
I like Silca and in principal, I agree with you. The problem for me is that there has to be more than just a premium 'branding opportunity'. If the Silca cages offer some real improvement that merits a substantial price increase over the King, then fine. If all that is happening is an opportunity to buy some similar cage with an imprint logo, then, well....

We'll see.
Does anyone know what these will cost? A lot of the criticism seems to be around the price, but I can't find it on the site.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:37 AM

more bespoke than this????
https://youtu.be/PRC2xJ4lg1w

Obviously for the mass market and given that Kings are kinda scarce, I'm sure they will sell well. And hey, they are made a using a "new-to-cycling laser welded manufacturing process"
Old 04-20-2018, 11:40 AM
Steel..what else??

King SS.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:53 AM

If the Silca stuff was all named Poertner instead, would it be as good?
Old 04-20-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemen3 View Post
Dear, Silca: make these instead.

Man that is the cats arse