Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-04-2023, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
Well it's a good start anyway. You went down from 76,000 to 7.
Old 02-04-2023, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Well it's a good start anyway. You went down from 76,000 to 7.

Two years ago
Old 02-04-2023, 02:35 PM

Quote:
California has had 75,000 criminals released in the last couple of years. It was just announced 75,000 more will be released in the next couple of years. There is a list of the crimes the released had been convicted of. It’s staggering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
The guy who hit the Dr was an accountant in his late 30's who was supposedly muttering some strange things stabbing the Man in the back according to witness and news reports. Whatever happened it is disturbing and the man who did it is clearly mentally ill.

The dismissiveness from some forum members denying the fact that criminals have been let out in record numbers while in the same thread blaming inanimate objects is bizarre. Time to let your biases go or stop commenting as when you are presented with multiple sources as to that fact and still denying the contents is pretty ignorant. Denying facts because you don't like the source is really a strange phenomenon to me. Not saying we should trust any news source, but in NYS and California they were releasing convicts on a regular basis and in turn crime has spiked. To deny that is to deny reality...

I am bowing out as I already know that I will be berated by those same people and I am not going to feed the beast.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk
Was the stabber one of these released convicts? I really fail to see the relevance of these comments, other than to insert partisan commentary.
Old 02-04-2023, 02:39 PM

shut this down

what is the point
Old 02-04-2023, 03:16 PM

It's pretty crazy looking at that guys Facebook. You never know what's really inside someones head. He looked perfectly normal and yeah I know FB is a place where some pretend you have a good life when you don't but still. I feel really sorry for his two daughters but screw that guy. He be away for life and really maybe the daughters are better off as he can't take it out on them.
Old 02-04-2023, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitlets View Post
Was the stabber one of these released convicts? I really fail to see the relevance of these comments, other than to insert partisan commentary.

Is it time for one of those “this place is special threads”
Old 02-04-2023, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitlets View Post
Please explain how I’m partisan.
Old 02-04-2023, 04:24 PM

good question

Quote:
Please explain how I’m partisan.
I don't honestly see the harm in different political views or perspectives on a situation, but the forum discourages it.

This post was about road rage, which led someone to comment about the dangers of a cyclist confronting a driver's bad behavior (not worth it--the driver could go into rage, they already have a weapon--the car; plus someone pointed out the fact that lots of us own guns and lately there has been a push toward making it super easy to carry them everywhere outside the home).

To that you replied that CA has let thousands of violent criminals out of prison.

Just from my reading of the thread, there was a transition from a incident of possible road rage to a warning about confronting drivers when cycling.
That led to the potential added armed driver comment. Maybe an unnecessary jump, but we have had several road rage shootings in various areas.

Maybe some find the comment about violent felons irrelevant and "partisan" given there is zero evidence that it is related to the incident.

I'd say the gun concern is also not clearly relevant, b/c while the thread title is road rage, it quickly came to look like this was not a typical road rage event.

But, maybe someone who feels it was too partisan can better explain. Sometimes that label may fit, but personally I don't mind the posts. To me they are all opportunities to learn something or else an opportunity to inform someone of more accurate facts. And there is always the option to ignore and go to the next post or thread.
Old 02-04-2023, 05:21 PM

Road Rage in the OC.

Three months ago I had a friend that was cycling through Santiago Canyon where someone ran them off the road. They went down and was unconscious. The person that ran them off the road circled back and stopped to look at their work. Passers by that saw the incident provided license number. They found the driver that had borrowed the car and was arrested. They had been released 5 months prior. They are releasing pending court date that they have failed to show up for and have a warrant.

Up here in Fairfield another friend chased and ran down in a parking lot. They ride with a camera. Car was caught on camera. They are still looking for the vehicle and driver. Vehicle owner was released 18 months prior.

I see road rage incidents of people getting ran down on bicycles. I instantly think of what I know.
Old 02-04-2023, 05:43 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
I see road rage incidents of people getting ran down on bicycles. I instantly think of what I know.
That is completely understandable. It's human nature to generalize based on our own personal experience; even professionals trained in statistics are so inclined. However, making such an extrapolation solely based on those experiences assuredly puts you on thin ice.

No judgment here, that's the reality. As the Google saying goes: In god we trust, all others bring data.
Old 02-09-2023, 08:21 PM

More than likely it will be close to two years before this makes it to court.
I presume this will end up being second degree murder or similar. Unless of course they plead insanity?

Very sad and I just hope justice is served.
Old 02-10-2023, 09:50 AM

Latest from the LA Times:

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...mental-illness

On Dec. 19, 2020, Long Beach police officers were called at about 12:12 p.m. to Smith’s home on the 6400 block of Atlantic Avenue after receiving reports of a “violent, mentally ill person,” according to a summary of the call obtained by The Times.

“Upon arrival, officers contacted a male adult subject who was inside a residence causing property damage and was involved in an altercation with an acquaintance,” according to the summary.

Firefighters took Smith to a hospital, where he was placed on a “5150 hold,” meaning he was detained for 72 hours after he was believed to be a danger to himself or others due to a mental health disorder.
Old 02-11-2023, 08:38 AM

The whole thing gets better. From the OC Register:

The Long Beach man accused of running over and stabbing a beloved physician in Dana Point earlier this month confessed to the killing in a jailhouse interview Friday, Feb. 10, saying he has no regrets and was entitled to commit murder because he is both God and Jesus Christ.

Related: Man charged with murder after fatal attack on doctor bicycling in Dana Point

In a rambling, hourlong interview with a Southern California News Group reporter, Vanroy Evan Smith cited end-of-world scriptures from the Bible’s Book of Revelation and said that if the public knew he was the Messiah and the “king of kings,” they would think differently about him and his crime.

“I have killed,” Smith, 39, said during the interview at Orange County’s Intake Release Center in Santa Ana. “If they knew who I was, they would let me walk out of here. They would fulfill all my desires.”

Smith, originally from Jamaica, has pleaded not guilty to homicide charges in the death of Dr. Michael John Mammone, and is being held in jail on $1 million bail.

The Orange County Sheriff’s Department said Mammone, 58, was riding his mountain bike in the bicycle lane on Pacific Coast Highway at Crown Valley Parkway when he was struck from behind by a white Lexus driven by Smith. The impact hurled the doctor into the air.

Smith then got out of his car and stabbed Mammone with a large, long knife, sheriff’s deputies said. Witnesses on cellphone video were heard describing it as a machete. One man directed others to find it in nearby bushes. Bystanders detained Smith until deputies arrived.

Mammone died after he was rushed to Providence Mission Hospital in Mission Viejo, one of the hospitals where he had served as an emergency medicine physician.

Smith, who denied in the jailhouse interview that he is mentally ill, said he awoke on the morning of Feb. 1 fully expecting to kill someone by the end of the day, adding that he has long been plagued by troubling “communications” from others and conflict because of his mixed-race heritage.

Smith said he placed a BB gun, intended to be used as a distraction, into his Lexus, and drove to a Long Beach area gun store, where he purchased the knife.

Smith, appearing unshaven and wearing a beige, jail-issued T-shirt and speaking by phone from a Plexiglass booth, cited a passage from the Gospel of Luke 22:36 as biblical justification for obtaining the knife. In the scripture, Jesus tells the 12 apostles that “he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.” Smith said he also considered using a bow and arrow in the attack, but ultimately decided against it.

After purchasing the knife, Smith recounted that he began driving around and felt compelled to run over Mammone and stab him. “It was my right,” he said, rubbing his hand against his eyes while adding that he feels no remorse for the killing. “He was in the crosswalk and presented himself.”

Smith said he chose Mammone because he is a man, insisting he would not kill a woman. After the attack, Smith believed he would either be taken into custody or killed by police, preferring the latter.

He denied uttering racial slurs about “white privilege” at the crime scene, as some reports indicated, but did acknowledge vocally accusing a man who detained him of being “gay” because the man’s groin was nearly touching him.

Smith described the attack on Mammone as “minuscule” compared to the wave of murders from others that will be coming soon, claiming that Jesus recently killed thousands in the magnitude 7.8 earthquake that struck Turkey and Syria on Monday. He vowed not to kill again if released from jail.

Smith came to California after marrying his now former wife and U.S. citizen Marla Hart of Long Beach in 2008. He has worked as a janitor and most recently as the owner of a Long Beach tax preparation and accounting firm.

He said he doesn’t blame Hart for his current legal problems and described her as a “Jezebel,” but declined to elaborate.

In a phone interview Friday, Hart said she divorced Smith a decade ago, hasn’t spoken to him in years, and was shocked to learn of his arrest for Mammone’s slaying. “I found out like everyone else,” she said. “Something is clearly wrong with his mind.”

Hart, in a Dec. 14, 2022 petition filed in Los Angeles County Superior County seeking sole custody of her and Smith’s twin daughters, said she and the children fear for their safety.

Smith had been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and bipolar disorder after he was detained by Long Beach police for destroying property and attacking a friend in a violent mental health episode on Dec. 19, 2020.

In a summary of the incident, Long Beach police said officers responded to the 6400 block of Atlantic Avenue regarding a report of a violent, mentally ill person. A man inside a residence told police he was involved in an altercation with an acquaintance who had caused property damage.

The Long Beach Fire Department transported the man to a hospital, where he was placed on a “5150 hold,” which allows an adult experiencing a mental health crisis to be involuntarily detained for 72 hours.

Smith, meanwhile, said he has found peace after 10 days in jail, placing at bay some of his demons typically exacerbated by heavy drinking, marijuana use and consorting with prostitutes.

He said he hopes to eventually meet with Mammone’s family. “I didn’t want to cause anyone pain,” he said.
Old 02-11-2023, 08:45 AM

lol so he wants to try and build an insanity case and not man up to the racially motivated killing. Sounds like a coward.