Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-01-2023, 08:48 AM

Krylon Short Cuts Paint Pens?

Anyone used one of these Krylon paint pens for touch ups on steel or aluminum frames?
Old 02-01-2023, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
Anyone used one of these Krylon paint pens for touch ups on steel or aluminum frames?
Are you talking about the ones that come in silver and gold? Those go on thin so it wouldn't be completely invisible but far away you can't tell if the colors match.
Old 02-02-2023, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybanana86 View Post
Are you talking about the ones that come in silver and gold? Those go on thin so it wouldn't be completely invisible but far away you can't tell if the colors match.
No, the pen version of the Krylon 1 oz paint jars, which are a standard for bike touch ups. The pens come in all colors.
Old 02-02-2023, 07:11 AM

I haven't used Krylon but I do use paint pens all the time to touch up bikes. Lots of choices at the hobby stores just pay attention to what you are getting, the kind of paint, etc.

If you can bring the frame/ bike in the store with you it helps for paint matching. They'll have like 20 different shades of any one color if you go to the art section of a hobby lobby or Michaels or such.

Same time you can check the hobby area for matching paint from Testor or the other brands they usually carry.
Old 02-02-2023, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
I haven't used Krylon but I do use paint pens all the time to touch up bikes. Lots of choices at the hobby stores just pay attention to what you are getting, the kind of paint, etc.

If you can bring the frame/ bike in the store with you it helps for paint matching. They'll have like 20 different shades of any one color if you go to the art section of a hobby lobby or Michaels or such.

Same time you can check the hobby area for matching paint from Testor or the other brands they usually carry.
Thanks. Do the pens apply the paint smoother than using the jar/brush? Or are the pens more for convenience?
Old 02-02-2023, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
Thanks. Do the pens apply the paint smoother than using the jar/brush? Or are the pens more for convenience?
I'm sure it comes down to the individual and how steady their hand is.

A lot of the paint pens have different size and hardness of brushes on each end so you can tailor more to what you are trying to do. Of course you can do the same with brushes and a small jar of paint.

The paint pens just give you so many more color options.

For me they also seem to work better if I'm lining lugs or filling in a pantographed area.

I can easily mess up the job no matter what method I use, LOL!

For small chips on a really nice bike I'll fill in the chip with layers using either a pen or brush. Then wet sand with fine paper and/or sanding pencil, then clear coat and wet sand again. Final step paint polish and wax.

But most of the bikes I just fill in the chip enough to sorta make it go away when viewed from a few feet away.

Another option is finger nail polish. I usually use a different brush than comes with the bottle but fingernail polish also gives you a ton of choices. I found a dead on perfect match for the Gios blue of the "Fishlips" bike in a hue of Sinful Colors fingernail polish.

Last edited by jamesdak; 02-02-2023 at 07:57 AM.