Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-21-2022, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
Have you actually worked in this field, or graduated from journalism school? You’re making a lot of statements about the level of effort and quality of people that do not align to my real world experience.
+100000

But trolls are being nurtured and fed here.. ignore them and they’ll eventually go away.
Old 12-21-2022, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Another poster asked what your point is and I also don't follow. Why is $70k thrown in the toilet for a teacher with an MS in ED?

Cool that your econ degree got you more than $70k out of college in 2006. Really not sure what that has to do with journalism jobs, education jobs, or these job postings.
The districts he (presumably) lives in or near are poor performers. Which makes this statement at odds with reality.

Quote:
And I can assure you that the candidate quality at that pay point is excellent in my little corner of the world.
How to evaluate the quality of a teacher other than the success or failure of their students?
Old 12-21-2022, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Outside has been buying and degrading a variety of publications for several years. That doesn't seem like the greatest business model, but that's just my personal opinion.
Maybe the plan just to bleed every vertical to its barebones, and then just crosspost every article across all the sites.
Old 12-21-2022, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
+100000

But trolls are being nurtured and fed here.. ignore them and they’ll eventually go away.
Like I always say - if we're taking flak we're over target.

Old 12-21-2022, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
Yes/No I got a real education because the income cap for hobby jobs seemed really low.

Real world experience is fun like that, isn't it?
This seems like a very mean spirited swing against journalists. Not necessary here.
Old 12-21-2022, 09:00 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
The districts he (presumably) lives in or near are poor performers. Which makes this statement at odds with reality.

How to evaluate the quality of a teacher other than the success or failure of their students?
OK, I follow your thinking now. It's faulty thinking, but I now understand.
You think teacher salary should be tied to student performance. That concept is, simply put, fundamentally flawed for multiple reasons.

If you want to tie some performance goals to student success metrics, that makes sense, but only if historical scoring is also accounted for. Otherwise it's comparing apples to boots.
Teacher evaluation at the public sector should largely be subjective and include, but not be limited to, the following- if teacher fosters relationships with students. Education and certifications. Peer review. In classroom observation. Standardized test scores as compared to historical local scores.

Evaluation based on standardized tests, and/or the success and failure of students, leads to multiple negative outcomes- regardless of if they are intended or unintended.
Old 12-21-2022, 09:15 PM
what's a little rust?

I’ve often thought you get a good idea of a teacher’s work when the student’s age doubles. So much can’t be captured in a test score.

Regarding CT’s job opening, it’s multiple jobs if they want content in volume.
Old 12-21-2022, 09:26 PM
50 bpm

Quote:
Yes/No I got a real education because the income cap for hobby jobs seemed really low.

Real world experience is fun like that, isn't it?
I don’t consider my 40 years in journalism to be a hobby job. And I got a real education, too.
Old 12-21-2022, 10:18 PM

so what are the new podcasts?
Old 12-21-2022, 10:48 PM

To me it's weird that you guys are suggesting the positions will be hard to fill. Jobs like this command a lower salary than what might be achieved working outside of the bike industry because people jump over each other to get the role, because its bikes and people love bikes.

Add to that we're talking about a constricting industry, I don't think there would be too many turning up their nose at such a gig.

I should add that I'm a big CT fan... well a fan of Wade and his team. So certainly don't have rose coloured glasses on about the situation.

Also the snobbery about salary really isn't classy guys.
Old 12-21-2022, 10:57 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
so what are the new podcasts?
The Placeholders.

They have a sponsor this week and have added to the lineup. Slowly becoming something.
It's been good so far, even when it was just Caley, Dane, and Rome.
Old 12-21-2022, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy-moots View Post
Also the snobbery about salary really isn't classy guys.
Didn't mean it as snobbery, more a reality check when starting wages for unskilled labor are starting in the $20s now, expecting a minimum of 4 years experience and a 4 year degree for $23/hr doesn't seem like a winning formula for them, or the journalism industry as a whole.

With the upheaval at NYT and other outlets around the country, maybe it's time for a more powerful union to step in.
Old 12-21-2022, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
Didn't mean it as snobbery, more a reality check when starting wages for unskilled labor are starting in the $20s now, expecting a minimum of 4 years experience and a 4 year degree for $23/hr doesn't seem like a winning formula for them, or the journalism industry as a whole.
There's a range, which I assume would reflect the candidate's experience. I'd suggest for someone with 4 years experience in a dying field like journalism that $58k wouldn't be the worst payday. No doubt they *deserve* more but the economics of the situation as are they are. More on that in a sec.

Quote:
With the upheaval at NYT and other outlets around the country, maybe it's time for a more powerful union to step in.
A union won't save anyone, the industry at large isn't profitable in its current state.

Advertising dollars flew to Facebook/Google, it's a really different ecosystem. You're talking advertisers paying cents for thousands of views/impressions; back in the print days you would be paying (tens of) thousands of dollars for an ad in a paper with modest circulation.

It's why everything is pay-gated but people really seem to resist the idea of paying for content online when less than 20 years ago you'd pay to read a paper, hire a video, etc.

I've talked at length about this somewhere else on the forum.

But yeah, a union would just accelerate the demise here. And I'm not (at all) anti-union (at all). At all (at all).
Old 12-21-2022, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy-moots View Post
A union won't save anyone, the industry at large isn't profitable in its current state.

It's why everything is pay-gated
Not saying I don't believe you, but would be interested in your analysis. Media outlets are still changing hands for quite a large sum of money, I'm not sure how financial performance can be as poor as you're making them out to be; billionaires aren't buying them for narcissism alone.
Old 12-22-2022, 03:50 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure how financial performance can be as poor as you're making them out to be;
It’s kind of basic math; the revenue per thousand views on a website can range from 5c to a few bucks at the high end. Multiply that out and it can net considerable money, but it pales in comparison to what ad revenue was pre-internet and, especially, pre-social media.

The key point to help distil this evaporation of ad revenue for the major news providers is that marketing budgets have not ballooned yet you have businesses like Facebook and Google making huge revenues from advertising. What’s happened? The money that the traditional media used to make has shifted to a channel that traditional media does not control.

I’m not sure how else to put it. Media organisations have been laying off staff for quite some time. Niches exist where it is profitable but it’s really difficult to mount an argument to the counter factual, I invite you to.

Quote:
billionaires aren't buying them for narcissism alone.
No, they are paying money for them for influence and ego.

Why else did Elon buy Twitter for $44bn. Sure as hell wasn’t to make money.