Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2022, 09:31 PM

I like this crew, they are good & something will likely become better for it.
Old 11-15-2022, 09:47 PM

Oh wow! Just seeing this now...
I just listened to the CT podcast on my ride this morning.

Both the regular pod and the nerd alert are regulars in my rotation.
The Nerd alert podcast is definitely one of my favorites and will be sorely missed.
Old 11-15-2022, 10:09 PM

I started listening to Nerd Alert this summer and liked it so much that I decided a few months ago to start from episode one. No joke I caught up to the current episode today, just in time for it to get canned. I'm so bummed. I really enjoyed their content, delivery, and perspective. I home James and those remaining give Outside the middle finger and they all band together to make their own platform. Now excuse me while I go cancel my membership.
Old 11-15-2022, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
This news really bummed me out. I like that crew a lot; especially Dave Rome and his tool obsession
Same. I also really enjoyed the dynamic the team had and the variable perspective - from the hyper tool geek, to the pro wrench, and "The Hammer" himself. Really represented the various tech perspectives of the bike world really well.
Old 11-15-2022, 10:17 PM

Outside is absolutely horrible, I sadly signed up for Outside + last year purely for the discount on BikeReg. Going to make sure my renewal is turned off. Their tent at the GoPro Games was a good metaphor for what they have become: large, gaudy, full of banner ads, and empty of people and substance.
Old 11-15-2022, 11:40 PM
Sunshine

Nerd Alert is such a good podcast.
When they have Caley, Rome, Zach, and James as a group it is just so funny and good to listen to. They are informed, jaded, and funny grumpyh8ers(or however they spelled it).

Super lame.
Old 11-16-2022, 02:43 AM

I think it's a shame. I subscribed simply to support the podcast and rarely visit the site. There are a million podcasts out there now, but chemistry is what brings me back. I felt they did a good job and earned my support. Hopefully James will join them in the next venture.
Old 11-16-2022, 05:23 AM

Yep, was a cyclingtips member and had an Outside+ membership (only cause it was half price and got my money back in fees from Bikereg).

I immediately made sure both subscriptions were cancelled for next year. I hope this empire burns. Going to destroy so much good content that was unique and had personality. Going to guess that somehow VN and Cyclingtips is merged.
Old 11-16-2022, 06:16 AM

All the media that Outside purchases goes to poo fairly quickly, just like your local paper. Becomes about pay walls and banner ad revenue, I've given up on them

In the past, I've liked Outside for some long form journalism about esoteric topics. These days it seems to have shifted to like "Top 10 Ski Boots for Good Urinary Health" kinda articles. Most of their other sites are heading in that direction. Personally, I'm shocked that Pink Bike still has comments and a forum

Sucks for the employees that were let go, but I get the feeling that they will be OK
Old 11-16-2022, 06:53 AM

Online cycling media is bloated and for the most part completely useless. Trimming the fat at this juncture was probably a good thing for all involved and hopefully there will be more cuts in the future. We're drowning in quantity with zero quality, I think these are mostly joke jobs - the mcdonald's fry cook of the media world.

Anyone who works in media or content creation and thinks they have a secure future has their head buried in the sand. In the modern economy there is zero reason to hitch your wagon to a giant corporation working with a broken advertising modern funded by perverse incentives - when self-funding is more accessible than any time in history.

If the "Nerd Alert" podcast or whatever is so awesome there should be no shortage of subscribers from patreon or substack or whichever. Build a better moustrap and don't cry when the giant unfeeling corporation doesn't want to sell it for you.

Imagine thinking a podcast needs corporate funding - in 2022!

Hard to believe there were layoffs with gold like this hitting the front page
https://cyclingtips.com/2022/11/i-do...e-about-today/

Last edited by spoonrobot; 11-16-2022 at 07:00 AM.
Old 11-16-2022, 07:31 AM

One wonders if this is related to the FTX crypto fiasco?
Old 11-16-2022, 07:34 AM

I'm on the fence about cancelling, I abhor what occurred but still like those that remain, and until they go I'm conflicted.
Old 11-16-2022, 07:55 AM

Cycling Tips was self supporting and doing fine until the original owner sold out with the best of intentions (and not to Outside). I imagine whatever they do next, they will do fine also.

That article you linked to and mocked; it was written by Iain after he found out half of his co-workers had been laid off. If you actually knew anything about Cycling Tips, you would have known that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
Online cycling media is bloated and for the most part completely useless. Trimming the fat at this juncture was probably a good thing for all involved and hopefully there will be more cuts in the future. We're drowning in quantity with zero quality, I think these are mostly joke jobs - the mcdonald's fry cook of the media world.

Anyone who works in media or content creation and thinks they have a secure future has their head buried in the sand. In the modern economy there is zero reason to hitch your wagon to a giant corporation working with a broken advertising modern funded by perverse incentives - when self-funding is more accessible than any time in history.

If the "Nerd Alert" podcast or whatever is so awesome there should be no shortage of subscribers from patreon or substack or whichever. Build a better moustrap and don't cry when the giant unfeeling corporation doesn't want to sell it for you.

Imagine thinking a podcast needs corporate funding - in 2022!

Hard to believe there were layoffs with gold like this hitting the front page
https://cyclingtips.com/2022/11/i-do...e-about-today/

Last edited by fa63; 11-16-2022 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-16-2022, 08:02 AM

Outside bought Backpacker magazine 10 or 15 years ago and screwed it all up. No big surprise. SOP.
Old 11-16-2022, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
Cycling Tips was self supporting and doing fine until the original owner sold out with the best of intentions (and not to Outside). I imagine whatever they do next, they will do fine also.

That article you linked to and mocked; it was written by Iain after he found out half of his co-workers had been laid off. If you actually knew anything about Cycling Tips, you would have known that...
It's called Cycling Tips, not LiveJournal for C+ J-School Graduates.