Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2023, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeeboh View Post
I mailed Andy V B for some discount codes as the Velohub page wasnt updated and received notice that he has left.

Velohub homepage is down and the forum seems offline.

Pretty sure this is the nail in the coffin.
To reiterate my point, Outside is doing a terrible job of managing this. Why leave a zombie CyclingTips up? They had paying members subscribers--why haven't they automatically rolled those up into an Outside+ subscription? Why not just have CyclingTips redirect to Velonews?

The idea that they might want to consolidate and downsize their different publications seems reasonable. The idea that they would just leave the site us as nothing but James Huang posting bike reviews as bunches of tumbleweed roll by seems like poor brand management, and poor customer management.
Old 01-12-2023, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
To reiterate my point, Outside is doing a terrible job of managing this. Why leave a zombie CyclingTips up? They had paying members subscribers--why haven't they automatically rolled those up into an Outside+ subscription? Why not just have CyclingTips redirect to Velonews?

The idea that they might want to consolidate and downsize their different publications seems reasonable. The idea that they would just leave the site us as nothing but James Huang posting bike reviews as bunches of tumbleweed roll by seems like poor brand management, and poor customer management.
And really ****ty for James. Hope he ends up with the new outfit, if that's what he wants.

This is the only messaging I've seen regarding the future of CT, FWIW: https://cyclingtips.com/2023/01/a-ne...ming%ef%bf%bc/
Old 01-12-2023, 10:52 AM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeeboh View Post
I mailed Andy V B for some discount codes as the Velohub page wasnt updated and received notice that he has left.

Velohub homepage is down and the forum seems offline.

Pretty sure this is the nail in the coffin.
Outside announced they are moving Cycling Tips to a different platform and that some services/features wouldnt be available during the transition.
Old 01-24-2023, 02:06 PM

I didn't realize Outside owned Warren Miller Entertainment as well, it appears to be going about as well as one would expect:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnzQBX-L...d=MDM4ZDc5MmU=

For the first time in the 74year history of the company, there will be no new Warren Miller film. Instead they are just going to regurgitate old footage...since a new film would require actual people to make it.

Last edited by JWB475; 01-24-2023 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-24-2023, 02:33 PM
what's a little rust?

What an absolute travesty. No comprehension or respect for the contributions to community and love for the outdoors that was the annual WM feature.

I guess this is what happens when money is the only thing you love.
Old 01-24-2023, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
What an absolute travesty. No comprehension or respect for the contributions to community and love for the outdoors that was the annual WM feature.

I guess this is what happens when money is the only thing you love.
Don't worry, it gets WORSE. The article they published (and then REPUBLISHED on the empty husk of Cyclingtips) on Mo Wilson is the height of journalistic cluelessness and trauma profiteering.

https://twitter.com/pgball/status/1617669106446274561

https://twitter.com/Laura_Weislo/sta...28668638216192
Old 01-24-2023, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
Don't worry, it gets WORSE. The article they published (and then REPUBLISHED on the empty husk of Cyclingtips) on Mo Wilson is the height of journalistic cluelessness and trauma profiteering.

https://twitter.com/pgball/status/1617669106446274561

https://twitter.com/Laura_Weislo/sta...28668638216192
Yeegads - the conflicts of interest and gross objectification of Mo Wilson in that piece are something else. Sad to say I finished it and gave Outside a click, which is all they want, but I couldn't look away from the train wreck.
Old 01-24-2023, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Yeegads - the conflicts of interest and gross objectification of Mo Wilson in that piece are something else. Sad to say I finished it and gave Outside a click, which is all they want, but I couldn't look away from the train wreck.
Objectification of Colin Strickland in that article.

Last edited by Old School; 01-24-2023 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-24-2023, 07:28 PM

Moron writer with an “inside scoop” completely embarrasses himself and that crappy mag. So sad.
Old 01-24-2023, 08:02 PM
what's a little rust?

Man Treats Women Poorly, Friend Says He's Just Better
Old 01-25-2023, 09:09 AM

Wow, that was a rough read

I guess strickland is a gravel business mentor...for ladies. Odd stuff, wonder who/why on the payola for this article to see the light of day
Old 01-25-2023, 10:26 AM
Deconditioned!

I started reading it and it just seemed fake....fake like that new AI engine wrote it. The "instructions" were: make it angled to the dude with a healthy dose of misogyny thrown in.
Old 01-25-2023, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Wow, that was a rough read

I guess strickland is a gravel business mentor...for ladies. Odd stuff, wonder who/why on the payola for this article to see the light of day
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
I started reading it and it just seemed fake....fake like that new AI engine wrote it. The "instructions" were: make it angled to the dude with a healthy dose of misogyny thrown in.
Given their verifiable actions since taking over it’s pretty safe to assume that robin thurston and his lackeys are all cut from the typical VC tech bro cloth.

VC isn’t inherently bad, but the people who tend to thrive (ie make the most money) tend to be the biggest douche canoes on earth.

Good to know that their stable of editorial dreck will never occupy another minute of most reasonable consumers’ time. But said it had to take down so many venerable sites as collateral damage.
Old 01-25-2023, 12:10 PM
Vendor

Other than the obvious, and the myriad of characterizing inconsistencies and contradictions, and the sensationalism, and the subjectivity of the author, and the 'oooh look at me I know famous people' nature of the entire piece, and the hearsay masquerading as fact, and the pages and pages of superfluous details (I guess no smart editor wanted to touch this thing), the worst part is that, if you read the article on CyclingTips, the banner floating at the top reads 'The Beauty of Cycling.'
Old 01-26-2023, 06:42 PM
Deconditioned!

I still think it was written by AI. It's almost "too good" of an article the way it's written. It's sensationalistic. It's engaging. It's too well written. SNS.

HUGE caveat to step back from the actual horrific subject of the murder of Mo.