Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-08-2023, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm714 View Post
Thanks, I did read the full article. I also saw Deshamps re-upped for another 4 years with the French team.

I also mentioned. I wanted to hear from soccer geeks, which implied I don’t know much about the inner workings of soccer.

Next time I will clarify that I read the full article. I apologize for my lack of soccer understanding.
Other than one poster who knows someone in the know, most of us here aren't really connected to much. Which is another way of saying that what we write is likely something you have read elsewhere.

@yinzerniner also gave you a bona fide take on his view of the situation, a take that I agree with; but you chose to take umbrage at and focus on "if you read the whole article".

To further expand upon things, @yinzerniner's point that "Zidane will have the pick of the litter when it comes to his next position" is spot on. The man is eyeing only a few jobs: RM (when Ancelloti decides to leave), France NT, and Juve. The U.S. is simply not in the same class as that of Zidane's ambitions. It would be comparable to a region liberal arts college trying to hire away a provost from an Ivy League institution. There's a chance that the latter could be lured away (mainly by compensation), but the latter has eyes primed for other opportunities and might not have the requisite skillset to succeed at the job.

This applies to soccer as well. Take, for instance, Carlos Ancelloti. Great trainer of great talents, more known for making a coherent team out of big time players with big egos; but when he was the manager of Everton, he really didn't do too much better than less feted managers. The U.S. not only represents a less prestigious job but may also require qualifications that Zidane does not possess.

Last edited by echappist; 01-08-2023 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-08-2023, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Other than one poster who knows someone in the know, most of us here aren't really connected to much. Which is another way of saying that what we write is likely something you have read elsewhere.

@yinzerniner also gave you a bona fide take on his view of the situation, a take that I agree with; but you chose to take umbrage at and focus on "if you read the whole article".

To further expand upon things, @yinzerniner's point that "Zidane will have the pick of the litter when it comes to his next position" is spot on. The man is eyeing only a few jobs: RM (when Ancelloti decides to leave), France NT, and Juve. The U.S. is simply not in the same class as that of Zidane's ambitions. It would be comparable to a region liberal arts college trying to hire away a provost from an Ivy League institution. There's a chance that the latter could be lured away (mainly by compensation), but the latter has eyes primed for other opportunities and might not have the requisite skillset to succeed at the job.

This applies to soccer as well. Take, for instance, Carlos Ancelloti. Great trainer of great talents, more known for making a coherent team out of big time players with big egos; but when he was the manager of Everton, he really didn't do too much better than less feted managers. The U.S. not only represents a less prestigious job but may also require qualifications that Zidane does not possess.
And I would suspect the salary is very modest compared to what the big clubs are offering.
Old 01-08-2023, 04:45 PM

Quote:
but you chose to take umbrage at and focus on "if you read the whole article".
I think I can take umbrage when I feel that someone is being condescending.
Old 01-08-2023, 05:31 PM

Quote:
To further expand upon things, @yinzerniner's point that "Zidane will have the pick of the litter when it comes to his next position" is spot on. The man is eyeing only a few jobs: RM (when Ancelloti decides to leave), France NT, and Juve. The U.S. is simply not in the same class as that of Zidane's ambitions.

The U.S. not only represents a less prestigious job but may also require qualifications that Zidane does not possess.
The other thing going againt the US in the coaching search is that we will have no really signficant matches in the run-up to the world cup do to automatic qualifying status.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:04 PM

What do you all make of this? Result of the WC or fallout from the Berhalter affair?

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-s...urn-to-program
Old 01-28-2023, 06:23 PM

USMNT vs Columbia on TNT
Old 01-29-2023, 02:32 PM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
USMNT vs Columbia on TNT
Hard to watch. Not match fit MLSers (on both sides) flailing around for 90 minutes (well until they got subbed like hockey lines).

Both sides should be docked massive FIFA ranking points for that craptastic display.
Old 01-29-2023, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Hard to watch. Not match fit MLSers (on both sides) flailing around for 90 minutes (well until they got subbed like hockey lines).

Both sides should be docked massive FIFA ranking points for that craptastic display.
Exactly - was "hard to watch", so I didn't - Switched to Celtic's/Lakers.
Old 01-29-2023, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post

Slight topic drift but....

Screw MLS now. The deal with Apple TV is a slap in the face to fans since it eliminates all local broadcasts of games. I won't even go into all the undertable tax breaks and such RSL has gotten here in Utah just to turn their backs on the fans.

Old 01-30-2023, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Slight topic drift but....

Screw MLS now. The deal with Apple TV is a slap in the face to fans since it eliminates all local broadcasts of games. I won't even go into all the undertable tax breaks and such RSL has gotten here in Utah just to turn their backs on the fans.

Not really sure how you can place this at the feet of the clubs if you’ve paid attention to how theyre designed to operate. They are businesses looking for the best broadcast deal possible, and regional sports networks are a failing business right now.

That being said unless the team is a de facto public trust (like the packers) it has little to no responsibility towards customer / fan satisfaction. It’s all about extracting maximum profit. They aren’t your friend, they are capitalist vampires that take a mile when given an inch.

Some articles / videos for background:
Failure of RSNs:
https://worldsoccertalk.com/news/tim...MS-378743.html
https://worldsoccertalk.com/news/fox...MS-378742.html
https://cordcuttersnews.com/as-bally...e-explain-why/

The private/public sports league boondoggle:
https://youtu.be/xcwJt4bcnXs
Old 01-30-2023, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
Not really sure how you can place this at the feet of the clubs if you’ve paid attention to how theyre designed to operate. They are businesses looking for the best broadcast deal possible, and regional sports networks are a failing business right now.

That being said unless the team is a de facto public trust (like the packers) it has little to no responsibility towards customer / fan satisfaction. It’s all about extracting maximum profit. They aren’t your friend, they are capitalist vampires that take a mile when given an inch.

Some articles / videos for background:
Failure of RSNs:
https://worldsoccertalk.com/news/tim...MS-378743.html
https://worldsoccertalk.com/news/fox...MS-378742.html
https://cordcuttersnews.com/as-bally...e-explain-why/

The private/public sports league boondoggle:
https://youtu.be/xcwJt4bcnXs
LOL, well you just answered that yourself.

They advertise and promote "fandom" and community culture and then do this deal.

They're full of crap just like the rest of pro sports. So yeah screw 'em!

I see the NFL has just this year finally gave up their Non-profit status. How this has been allowed all these decades is baffling. Yet they still at least broadcast the local teams unless there's a blackout due to a game not selling out.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:07 AM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
Not really sure how you can place this at the feet of the clubs if you’ve paid attention to how theyre designed to operate.
Not only are they not clubs, they are not even independently owned franchises in the manner of NFL or MLB teams.

I don't begrudge MLS the success that it's had, and this is probably the only model that could grow professional soccer to anything close to this level in the U.S., but this has always stuck in my craw. No matter how many scarves they wave, or cringy "ultra" displays they engage in, fans just don't have anything resembling a tangible stake in the team.
Old 02-02-2023, 12:58 PM

An article from The Guardian on Antonee Robinson, starting leftback for the U.S. So long a problem area, he's claimed that spot with authority.
Old 03-13-2023, 07:00 PM

Finally logic, common sense and justice prevailed. But now being re-hired, that's another story!

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-s...-investigation
Old 03-13-2023, 10:11 PM

Full report:

https://ussoccer.app.box.com/s/ycsf3...lqy5upmk45sotb