Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-08-2023, 07:55 PM

Apple Watch Issues

My bad, wrong section…supposed to be in general discussion. Unless we want to make this an WTB

Any Apple Watch users out there? We bought my son a new iphone, go to pair it with his old iwatch and it bricked the watch (series 3) when update was forced on the software. Totally sucks because he loved that watch. Apple said the new software does not work with series 3 of watches. If you’re using a series 3, don’t unpair it or you may wind up with a brick. It was an old watch but did everything fine. Wish Apple would put some kind of warning not to try to update it. Can’t undue it either. 2 hours of CS support and they said got to buy a new one.

Crazy, watch worked but the update bricked the thing. If your using series 3 watch don’t unpair it!

Last edited by duff_duffy; 01-08-2023 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-08-2023, 11:43 PM

Same thing happened to my MIL when we upgraded her phone from a 6s to a 13. I upgraded my watch and have a series 7 45mm Nike gps model for sale. Lmk if you’re interested.
Old 01-09-2023, 06:29 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick209 View Post
Same thing happened to my MIL when we upgraded her phone from a 6s to a 13. I upgraded my watch and have a series 7 45mm Nike gps model for sale. Lmk if you’re interested.
How did you 'upgrade' the 6S to 13? I have a 6S+ and it just won't update to the newest IOS(16)...
Old 01-09-2023, 06:52 AM
Administrator

moved it for you.

that really sucks.

it's ridiculous and irresponsible on a manufacturer's part when you need to literally throw out a piece of equipment that still has functional life left due to software issues.

If this is your son who is the runner, get him a Garmin watch. They are superior in every way for an actual athlete.
Old 01-09-2023, 06:55 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
moved it for you.

that really sucks.

it's ridiculous and irresponsible on a manufacturer's part when you need to literally throw out a piece of equipment that still has functional life left due to software issues.

If this is your son who is the runner, get him a Garmin watch. They are superior in every way for an actual athlete.
Kinda describes 'wheelsouttaboxes' doesn't it? Kill a rim and get a pen holder. Or when a manufacturer 'goes to 11', and non convertible rear hubs. Or oh so many things in the daffy bike biz...
Old 01-09-2023, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Kinda describes 'wheelsouttaboxes' doesn't it? Kill a rim and get a pen holder. Or when a manufacturer 'goes to 11', and non convertible rear hubs. Or oh so many things in the daffy bike biz...
Sort of, but the apple watch thing is worse IMO. If you have an 8-sp wheel, you can still ride it on an 8-sp bike, so it still has value and is useable. This watch is now apparently, literally, useless.
Old 01-09-2023, 07:20 AM

This is a great thread for me as I also have an Apple 3 watch. It does what I need and because I have had ablation and pacemaker implant, I like to have this information on hand at all times. What updates do I avoid, and how do I avoid them? BTW, I use an Apple SE second gen. I’d like to get a new phone but I don’t really need one, especially if I must trash my watch.
Old 01-09-2023, 09:07 AM

I found an 11 page thread on the Apple discussion board on this and I’m definitely not alone in having a bricked series 3 watch as result of this. Crazy, I can’t believe how a working product can suddenly get bricked on a forced update and the company’s response is go buy a new watch.

Fir those with series 3 watch, at this time just don’t try to pair it with a new phone. If you keep it connected to current phone should be ok. If you unpair and the re-pair with newer phone it will force you into a software update which will then never complete. Issue has been ongoing since October at least from threads I found on Apple site with promise for a fix coming but now that its January and still no fix don’t expect any resolution.
Old 01-09-2023, 09:11 AM

Thanks for offer, unfortunately he’s got tiny wrists and needs the smaller size (it’s why he loved the series 3, nice small face to it). He wants to give phone back and get his old watch working. Sad Apple can’t fix this, or I believe just choosing not to fix knowing most people will just buy a new watch and call it a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick209 View Post
Old 01-09-2023, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
How did you 'upgrade' the 6S to 13? I have a 6S+ and it just won't update to the newest IOS(16)...
New iPhone 13 not updated iOS
Old 01-09-2023, 09:48 AM

This is good to know. I have a series 3. Been using it with an IPhone XS with no issues. Sucks that Apple won’t come up a solution. They do not impress me as a company. Had a MacBook and never liked it, ended up throwing it it away.
Old 01-09-2023, 09:50 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

The watch can likely be remotely wiped and restored from backup via iPhone.
That also requires the watch to have been paired with that phone and backups stored.
Old 01-09-2023, 10:15 AM

Bring the old watch to Apple Store (or online) and get trade-in value towards a new SE watch or whatever you prefer. You might find you won't be out that much cash. I recently traded my watch 4 for the new SE and it worked out.
Old 01-09-2023, 10:23 AM

My Apple watch 3 seems to have a trade value of $0
Old 01-09-2023, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DfCas View Post
My Apple watch 3 seems to have a trade value of $0
Actually, Best Buy gave me $20 for mine when I traded it in for my new SE 2nd Gen the week prior to Christmas.

And yes I traded it due to the above ish.