Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2019, 08:32 AM

New Light

My Niterider Lumina 750 has died and I'm in the market for a new light because I ride early in the morning when it's still dark. I want something in-between the low-level light that is designed to be seen and a super high powered one. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:04 AM
I need you cool.

L&M Taz 1500

On sale at Excel this week...40% off IIRC

Multiple brightness settings, USB charging, sidelights....

I picked one up a few months ago and it is great.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
L&M Taz 1500

On sale at Excel this week...40% off IIRC

Multiple brightness settings, USB charging, sidelights....

I picked one up a few months ago and it is great.

I also picked up this deal a few months back and it works great with no issues...
Old 01-25-2019, 10:04 AM

Did you call Niterider Customer service?

Chances are your issue is an easily replaceable and inexpensive component and they'll be able to send out to you.

Even if you do go for a new light, the Lumina makes for an awesome flashlight as well.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:37 PM

This is a cheap solution I can recommend:
https://www.amazon.com/N-ORANIE-Rech.../dp/B07FN1SXJZ

It delivers plenty of light for urban commuting. Anything more powerful and you're risking blinding oncoming drivers.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:46 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie7 View Post
My Niterider Lumina 750 has died and I'm in the market for a new light because I ride early in the morning when it's still dark. I want something in-between the low-level light that is designed to be seen and a super high powered one. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
I've got a couple of Bontrager lights (Ion 700 and 800), an older set of NR lights (forget the name), a cheap Chinese '1000l' light, and a few more.

I keep reaching for the Bontrager lights. In fact, one is charging for tonite's ride as we type. Easy to install. Decently bright, etc

M
Old 01-25-2019, 02:29 PM
Kind of OK

I've been riding one of the L&M Urban series (800) for about a year now. Great light, nice settings, battery lasts pretty darn long and with the available GoPro mount, I can mount it under my K-Edge Wahoo mount.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:51 PM

I really like my Fenix BC30R. One of the best features is the pulse mode while riding in daylight. Not obnoxious but very noticeable to oncoming motorists. Plenty of light at night too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2019, 04:41 PM

I hate to be "that guy" and I feel like i'm a broken record here but all the L&M lights I've seen have a terrible beam pattern with basically no cutoff.

While they might be compact and durable, I can't tell you the number of times I've been blinded by lights only to find out that they're L&Ms. A simple google search on their beam pattern turns up similar results. I don't necessarily blame the user here either because in order to project the center of the beam far enough, you basically have to aim it higher, causing oncoming glare for other cyclists. I really don't know why L&M still gets so highly recommended.

IMO, look at niterider, cygolite, etc, for lights with better optics.

caveat: this applies to their 400-800 lumen lights that I have seen, perhaps their higher output ones are better.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:59 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dton View Post
...A simple google search on their beam pattern turns up similar results. ....
Done: https://reviews.mtbr.com/review-light-motion-taz-1500

Sure, sample of 1...but I didn't find anything really negative with a quick search....ymmv
Old 01-25-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Done: https://reviews.mtbr.com/review-light-motion-taz-1500

Sure, sample of 1...but I didn't find anything really negative with a quick search....ymmv
I guess I should have added it depends on your use and perspective. Sure if its for night time trail riding you want it to be as bright in all directions as possible, but not in the city. Unless you don't care about how much glare its throwing...

While not common, the topic of optics is discussed in certain dedicated bike review databases. i.e. https://www.bikelightdatabase.com/best/headlights/

If you look at the front of any L&M light, its completely uncontrolled.

L&M:

VS Cygolite:

I used to have a picture that I took comparing the both of them shined against a wall where it was very evident one had a cutoff vs the other, if I can dig it up I will post it! This already took more time than I wanted it to
Old 01-25-2019, 06:12 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dton View Post
I guess I should have added it depends on your use and perspective....If you look at the front of any L&M light, its completely uncontrolled.
Oh for sure....my perspective is typically behind my light!

The article I posted did talk about a "broad and even" beam, so if you like it focused with distinct cut-off, I know what you mean.

Knowing how bright these lights are, I do try to make sure my light is point slightly down and to the right when I am on the road.

As far as focusing, I think L&M uses the reflectors to focus the light rather than the lens...not sure why (light loss going thru thicker lens??) so I don't think comparing lens shape is really relevant...beam shape and intensity of the light is what matters.

Pick the one like and suits your riding.....