Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-25-2019, 02:41 PM

Jones Loop hbar experiment

My current Jones experiment. Been riding with FSA carbon compact bars at a couple of cm above saddle height. I also ride the biggest bikes I can and all 3 have tall tall headtubes. This combo has been delightful for a long time. This setup allows for easy cruising and easily getting into the drops anytime. The reason for trying Jones was that I am old and my hands hurt where my thumbs meet my wrists. As of today, the Jones are now pretty well dialed in. I am running a full 10 spd. Tiagra 4700 triple drivetrain with thumb shifters from that group and GS rear derailleur rated to handle up to 32 tooth cog. I am running it with 11-34 with zero issues and the group is really snicky and clicky. I like it.

I ran my carbon drops with a 12cm +10 stem. On Jones, after trial and error over 100 miles, I am now running 10cm +17. I am also using Ergon GC1 grips for swept back bars. I am comfy upright on the grips but find myself riding much more with my wrists on the intersection where the front loop meets the rearward bar. In this position, I am leant over sorta like being on the hoods of drops and the soft part of my palm supported by the loop intersection. Really easy to go back and forth between grips and leant over position. Just getting the Ergons installed at the right angle for the most comfort has taken many small tuning angle adjustments.

Should say Jeff Jones swears at using Ergons and swears by his own silicone grips. I tried those and with my hand issues found them to be worthless. Ergon are like pillows...relatively speaking. So much more support for my precious paws. Also I am experimenting with how the heck to tape the bars. I know I need at least two layers of my favorite Deda cushiony tape.

When descending on the Jones I felt a little shaky trying to brake in the upright position that is required by flat bar brake levers mounted in the normal placement near the grips. My next experiment will be to try these flat bar brake levers mounted on the front of the loop ala moustache bars. How do you get brake levers with non-hinged clamps mounted on the 22.2 closed front loop? These?

https://porkchopbmx.com/dia-compe-te...er-set-silver/