Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-11-2017, 11:03 AM

The solution I used was Rudy Project ski goggles that include a nose warmer. It eliminated the need for the balaclava to cover the nose, and let me breath more easily. My nose was still plenty warm.

Chris
Old 12-11-2017, 12:02 PM

Should've mentioned that I'm wearing Rx glasses so I'm ruling out the ski goggles.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:36 PM
Vendor

Here's 100% how you do it - trust a Canadian.

First, use a merino neck tube, because merino holds and exchanges moisture different than synthetics, less vapor goes up onto the glasses. We make em, but they aren't in the store for some reason, so email if you want one, but I'll fix that soon. If that doesn't work:

Second, if it's super gnarly conditions and you're still getting fog with even merino, then use the old hockey visor trick. Put a dab of liquid soap on the glasses and smear it all over with your finger - then polish it off until it doesn't distort your vision using the same type of cloth you clean your glasses with.

The soap repels moisture and doesn't let it accumulate on the lenses. If it's still fogging you cleaned the soap off too well.

1st merino. 2nd liquid soap. If those steps don't work... you're SOL. But it's 'guaranteed' effective, it's worked for me in like -10C
Old 12-11-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
Here's 100% how you do it - trust a Canadian.

First, use a merino neck tube, because merino holds and exchanges moisture different than synthetics, less vapor goes up onto the glasses. We make em, but they aren't in the store for some reason, so email if you want one, but I'll fix that soon. If that doesn't work:

Second, if it's super gnarly conditions and you're still getting fog with even merino, then use the old hockey visor trick. Put a dab of liquid soap on the glasses and smear it all over with your finger - then polish it off until it doesn't distort your vision using the same type of cloth you clean your glasses with.

The soap repels moisture and doesn't let it accumulate on the lenses. If it's still fogging you cleaned the soap off too well.

1st merino. 2nd liquid soap. If those steps don't work... you're SOL. But it's 'guaranteed' effective, it's worked for me in like -10C
I like this ^
Old 12-11-2017, 03:44 PM

Thought about the soap film thing as an MTB friend told me about it years ago when he did a 24 hour event.
I have a merino neck gaitor now.

Guess I could use the antifog stuff I line the (prescription) swim goggles with too.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:35 PM
Yours truly

I have used a Gore Universal balaclavas a few times recently in the 30 degree weather with a pair of safety glasses without fogging issues. I cut a big hole around the mouth area off those smaller patterned holes which helped my breathing tremendously. This is just one of my cold weather riding solutions. I have also wore a time trial helmet with a face shield without glasses, which I actually like it better. Ideally, I would like to have a winter helmet (min vents or no vents at all) with a fully integrated face shield but I don't think such thing exist yet, at least not for cycling. I do have a motorcycle helmet but it is too heavy for cycling.