Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-03-2017, 11:33 AM

My advise is that you first check that the dispensing optician understands the particular concerns presented with sports eyewear. From my experience, most opticians do not understand either the requirements for or the methods for doing the wrap and vertex compensation needed for many sports eyewear. Specialty companies like Sport Rx and Sports Opticals have founded their business on address the special needs of sports eyewear, but I haven't found any local optician near me that even recognizes the issues, let alone knows how to address them.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:08 PM

I got really lucky in that my local ophthalmologist is also a cyclist who wore Rx, so he understood the wrap issues.

If you have a relatively high power Rx, I can recommend WileyX and Oakley as being able to handle a bit higher base curvatures with more advanced lens grinding techniques materials. This is relatively new (last 3 years?). Others may as well, I just don't have personal experience.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris View Post
Are your half jacket's the original model or the newer half jacket ll ?

If they're the new model Oakley does make direct rx lenses for them. That's the route I took with my flakjackets.

The original halfjacket has been out of the lineup for several years and unfortunately there's nothing out there for it.
My 1/2 jackets are the original, I've had them over 15 years... surprised I haven't broken or lost them but I'm still on the original set of lenses. I asked my optometrist about them and he said he didn't think they did lenses for them... I'll check out a couple local options then see about how it would work with my insurance using sportsRX or the online sites.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:02 PM

can't say enough good about my Rx Rydon IIs...great glasses.

the Rydon is for normal/wide faces, the IIs are for more narrow mugs...

http://www.e-rudy.com/en/products/de...AaAk3EEALw_wcB
Old 11-03-2017, 04:08 PM
il Curmudgeoni

I have two different sets of Rudy Rx, Stratofly SX and Ekynox SX. Both are direct lenses and I'm very happy with them. The Rx was done by Rudy Project. The Ekynox have their digital surfacing (Freeform TEK) and the clarity of those lenses is amazing IMO.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:12 PM

I got a pair of the Horus a few years ago and I've been happy with them.

https://www.sportrx.com/rudy-project-horus.html
Old 11-04-2017, 04:08 AM

I am curious about cycling specific glasses. I have been using Nike rx sunglasses for years and have been happy. I can wear them for other stuff as they don't look like you should be on a bike. I will check out the brand's suggested above.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2017, 08:21 AM
Time & Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
Rydons for me both as riding and shooting glasses. Been using them for many years and have 2 sets (1 each) plus my son had a set.

Very happy with vision and durability.

I got mine through Sports Optics in Denver.

BK

+3 as in I've bought three pairs of Rydons from Sports Optics over the years, and I'm also very happy with vision and durability.

Dave
Old 11-04-2017, 09:07 AM

i have prescription rydon's and they're great. i like the looks and they fit my goofy face pretty well. not cheap, but cheaper than oakley's. oakley prescription lenses are just an outright ridiculous price. last time i was quoted something like $400 or so just for the lenses. it's mainly because of the curve. less curve on lens = cheaper price.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:37 PM

cmb I also have an original pair of halfjackets and contacted Oakley 2 or 3 years ago about RX lenses for them. At that time Oakley did not do RX lenses their reason being that given the age of the frames there was a concern over breakage.

I don't know how strong your RX is but also be aware that several of the sport frames from the various manufacturers have limits of the RX that can be made as a direct fit lens due to the wrap of the lens/frame. We ran into this with our son. He's at aprox -4ish with his RX so most of the sport specific frames fell outside of what they could supply. We ended up going with a frame that has less curve without any trouble. Just something to be aware of.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
My advise is that you first check that the dispensing optician understands the particular concerns presented with sports eyewear. From my experience, most opticians do not understand either the requirements for or the methods for doing the wrap and vertex compensation needed for many sports eyewear. Specialty companies like Sport Rx and Sports Opticals have founded their business on address the special needs of sports eyewear, but I haven't found any local optician near me that even recognizes the issues, let alone knows how to address them.
I bought my Rydons from a local optician years ago. They said they had to make two sets to get them right.

BTW, you can order prescriptions made directly from Rudy Project. Prices seem pretty reasonable.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:03 PM

Another happy
(prescription) Rydon wearer here- gray lenses for general use, and a pair of polarized brown lenses for flats fishing
Old 12-11-2017, 01:06 PM

Be careful with the Rydons. I was getting RX sunglasses & was told that, because of my pupil distance, I needed to use the Rydon II's with smaller lenses. The Oakely Half Jackets were also suggested.
EDIT: I was getting just reading inserts. May be different with full perscriptions

Last edited by makoti; 12-11-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:04 PM

....another vote for Sports Optical in Denver. I just tried them for the first time this fall and the results are unbelievable. I have a strong Rx and the lenses they grinded for me on a 10 base curve frame are perfect. No distortion, thin, lightweight, even/consistent tint,and perfect pupil distance and height. These guys are just masters of their trade. Can’t be beat for the price, service and expertise!