Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 11:06 AM

I’ve spoken to plenty of female racers. Those that have problems with this say, to a person, that they are afraid to speak up because of the assured social media skewering that would be inevitable. This issue has become religion and if you speak out you are immediately labeled a bigot and transphobic.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by false_Aest View Post
Amen!

--
The subtext of a lot of the comments I read is that a man has decided to change his sex to a woman in order to be on the podium.

I think that's bull . . . a friend/coworker is trans. They (pronoun of choice) have spoken a lot about the transition and how complex it is — emotional, medical, etc.

Learning about this stuff I cannot imagine that any person puts themselves in harm's way just FTW. And, FTR, harm's way goes beyond medical/emotional extending to transphobic bullying, assault, suicide and murder.
--

Of course, all of these "discussions" hide behind the idea that "We're just worried about what's fair for the 'real' women in pro races" and that we "need to protect women's interests." (I'm using quotes because I have actually heard men say this and seen it posted in forums and article comments — not because I'm being snarky or sarcastic.)

I think that if that were the case we'd have just as many multi-page threads (and article comments) about paying pro Women living wages and ensuring that they receive health insurance. (We can start there and forget about the other benefits that women don't get). Surly, access to medical care and having the ability to afford it is more important than who's on the top step.

Maybe I'm really wrong here. If so, I'd love to find out why from someone with actual skin in the game.

--
This thread is a really good reminder of why I stay in the classifieds section.

Sadly, little empathy for trans folx in this thread . As a clinician for cares for many, this thread is a reminder of how absolutely terrible it can be to navigate the world as a trans person constantly getting messages that you: don’t exist, are crazy, or taking advantage of others.

This type of speech is violent, plain and simple. First step is denying someone’s existence.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:28 AM
Randomhead

I come back in here and people are still misgendering this woman. Disappointed to say the least. I can understand why someone might not find a transgender woman competing in a strength sport is particularly fair, but misgendering this woman is wrong. Maybe it's time to close it.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I come back in here and people are still misgendering this woman. Disappointed to say the least. I can understand why someone might not find a transgender woman competing in a strength sport is particularly fair, but misgendering this woman is wrong. Maybe it's time to close it.
He still has his male anatomy, the law in Arizona does not recognize him as a her until that has happened.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:38 AM

Luckily, regressive state laws have no jurisdiction on international competition
Old 10-22-2019, 11:40 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantdog View Post
This thread is a really good reminder of why I stay in the classifieds section.

Sadly, little empathy for trans folx in this thread . As a clinician for cares for many, this thread is a reminder of how absolutely terrible it can be to navigate the world as a trans person constantly getting messages that you: don’t exist, are crazy, or taking advantage of others.

This type of speech is violent, plain and simple. First step is denying someone’s existence.
Exactly, repetedly calling her a him is to steal her humanity. Dehumanizing other people never ends well. Graves are full of the millions of people that were dehumanized by others. There are endless horrible events in human history of this.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
Thank you, agreed. A debate about how to keep sport fair in a world that is beginning to accept the non-binary nature of sex and gender is one thing. Purposely misgendering someone to prove a point reflects an absence of empathy at best and open bigotry at worst.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:58 AM
The B!

this thread sucks. its not about cycling, its just people airing their crappy opinions on trans affairs.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:09 PM
Administrator

People want to argue
People complain about the arguing.
People want the thread locked
People will complain about the thread being locked

Here is a suggestion...

Take a breath, and talk about bikes. Take a breath, go ride your bikes. You'll feel better.

W.