Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2019, 08:53 AM

would love to see a "how did they make that" video

it is still fiberglass right? molding the parts and finishing and sticking that engine in the chassis would be fun to see.

like this:

https://jalopnik.com/heres-a-detaile...ssi-1836540969

Last edited by eddief; 07-20-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancw3 View Post
one feature that I thought was impressive, that was brought out in the debut presentation, was that the front end can be raised up to two inches, like if going into a garage. also that it ties into the cars computer through GPS so that you can program the front end to raise up automatically each time you come to that situation/location.
Tesla’s have been doing this for several years. In fact I would venture to say that Tesla has single handedly caused a change in the auto industry.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
It's interesting for sure but I don't know how I feel about it. Cars these days are getting so fast that for me it's hard to really see the point. It's not that it isn't impressive but being able to go from 0 to the speed limit in 4 seconds versus 6 seconds doesn't really matter much on a day to day basis. Things like handling, feel, and other factors seem more important but again with limits so high you'll never reach them outside of the track at a certain point it's just another number. It's hard to quantify excitement.

Sorry to sound negative and all but I'm in a weird place with cars right now.
I agree completely on the ability to actually extract the level of performance available in these newer machines on a regular basis. The experience (feel, smell, sound) has become more important to me than outright performance figures. It's the reason I own a 30 year old euro classic instead of something much newer that I could have purchased for the same price that offered significantly higher levels of performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinconryder View Post
In fact I would venture to say that Tesla has single handedly caused a change in the auto industry.
On sooooooo many levels! Tesla couldn't completely fall apart at this point and they will still have been a success given the amount of disruption that they have brought to the automotive industry. They've pushed innovation on automotive technology, styling, sourcing, production, marketing, and distribution (and probably much more). ALL of the automakers have been forced to pay attention and respond in some manner that have made their offerings better.

Texbike
Old 07-20-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I think they have a win with the price. Everyone knew about the mid engine corvette. We have seen it covered in that camo wrap for a while. Everyone though, oh great, a over $100k corvette is coming, yada yada.

But when GM tells people that car will start at 60k, it will make the front page for a second. I love corvettes, ever since I drove a C6. The C5 and the C6 are ugly-ish (they have grown on me over the years and I really want one right now, even over the C7 tbh) but when you drive one you realize how awesome of car it is. You quickly forget about the terrible interior and the not amazing exterior its just such a cool car. Gives me hope to maybe get a C6 Z06 for 20k

Now with the C8, people that have always wanted a super car, can afford one. Sure 60k is a lot of cash but if someone really wants one and is willing to save for a bit, its a possibility, with a lambo, you can get one for under 100k but repairs will be prohibitive. I consider the C7 a super car as well in certain ways but the C8 with its mid engine is more suited to that.
Preaching to the choir. I spent 50 on a mustang, so 60 for a vette is just a little bump. Funny how when the new cobra500 came out the lack of a manual killed all interest for me (along with the 80k asking price) but this auto only vette doesn’t bother me in the least.

Sounds like we better keep you away from the auction houses
Old 07-20-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
They were fine back in the metal era. Aside from sun-cracked dash pads.
1967-68 Chevy C-10?

Oh wait, it's a 1972 GMC.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:19 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Preaching to the choir. I spent 50 on a mustang, so 60 for a vette is just a little bump. Funny how when the new cobra500 came out the lack of a manual killed all interest for me (along with the 80k asking price) but this auto only vette doesn’t bother me in the least.

Sounds like we better keep you away from the auction houses
Yeah, auto only does not bother me in this but still probably would buy a c6 or c7 manual. When alfa released the 4c auto only i was bummed but now I would love one of those and not bothered by it being an auto at all.

Really dig your bullit stang btw.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:20 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
As you now, Corvette was meant to be mid-engined 50+ years ago under Duntov!

Re: the midlife crisis comment, yes and no on that one. The perspective depends on your own personal experience. My father had a '66, when he was young. Boy do I wish I had that car (sadly, he wrecked it). I have numerous friends of varying generations (mostly older) who've been collectors their whole lives.

For many years, the Vette was an aspirational and attainable American sports car for the middle class. Older ones could be had for a song and fixed up, newer ones achievable when the last of the kids went off to college and FINALLY a 2-seat sports car with a big ol' V8 could be had.

GM is addressing the future market because they have to. The core of buyer base is, sadly, starting to pass on. Quite a few of my older friends who are (or in some cases, were) Vette collectors are simply unable to even get into their Vettes, to the extent they still have them. Buddy of mine sold off his stunning collection assembled and restored over many decades, his knees just couldn't take the ingress/egress anymore.

Besides, I'd rather see a mid-engine Vette vs. no Vette!

R3awak3n: for the record, a road bike fits just fine in the trunk of a C5Z, both wheels removed.
I love how much trunk space the c5 and c6 have.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Funny how when the new cobra500 came out the lack of a manual killed all interest for me (along with the 80k asking price) but this auto only vette doesn’t bother me in the least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Yeah, auto only does not bother me in this but still probably would buy a c6 or c7 manual. When alfa released the 4c auto only i was bummed but now I would love one of those and not bothered by it being an auto at all.
Hmmm. Interesting observations. I'm in the same boat and definitely prefer manual transmissions. I wouldn't touch a 4C since it doesn't offer a manual or have an older Corvette with an automatic (unless it was an older C4 convertible as a cruiser). Yet, somehow the auto in the C8 doesn't bother me at all. It really does seem like a different car.

The C8 intro has popped up in about a dozen conversations for me over the last couple of days including on this morning's ride. Everyone seems extremely impressed and excited about the car. The only real negatives that people voiced were the styling of the rear end (mainly the tail lights), the interior row of buttons between the seats, and the steering wheel.

Texbike
Old 07-20-2019, 11:37 AM

It will also be the basis for a great race car.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:48 AM

I actually like that the LT1 (base version) is available with fabric seats. This is almost unheard of today but kind of a bonus. That said, I wish the fabric were available with more of the options, but they advertise this level of trim as the lightest, and that's not nothing. Weight is the enemy of all performance and the base model still looks very nicely equipped.

Like others, I lament the absence of a manual transmission.

Overall, I really like it.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
where is this car being assembled? one plant or multiple?
Kentucky, right by the Corvette Museum.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:54 AM

Like.... the Ferraro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
It's not a 'vette anymore. Since it's inception Corvette has come to mean large pushrod V-8 front engine, rear wheel drive, fiberglass American muscle car. At a price that was just one step above a Z-28 Camaro, thus reachable for many if
they wanted it bad enough.

In the real world it became the midlife crisis car for the divorced guy in his 50's...

Now GM has turned it into just another Euro-type mid engine exotic. Should have named it something else.

RIP Corvette, 1953-2019
Old 07-20-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
Like.... the Ferraro?
Corvari
Old 07-20-2019, 12:15 PM
なんでやねん

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Corvari

?

Old 07-20-2019, 12:30 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
Hmmm. Interesting observations. I'm in the same boat and definitely prefer manual transmissions. I wouldn't touch a 4C since it doesn't offer a manual or have an older Corvette with an automatic (unless it was an older C4 convertible as a cruiser). Yet, somehow the auto in the C8 doesn't bother me at all. It really does seem like a different car.

The C8 intro has popped up in about a dozen conversations for me over the last couple of days including on this morning's ride. Everyone seems extremely impressed and excited about the car. The only real negatives that people voiced were the styling of the rear end (mainly the tail lights), the interior row of buttons between the seats, and the steering wheel.

Texbike
the alfa to me would benefit from a manual, don't get me wrong. A car like that would be SOOOO fun with a manual trans but I like that there is no power steering so that to me is damn cool on a car like that. Also LOVE the look of that car an that you can take the top out. However, if I was to pay with my money I would pick a manual corvette C6 Z06 right now. low 30s, manual, sounds amazing, good highway gas mileale

and for the peopl saying it looks like a ferrari...

to me it looks more like an accura nsx. Regardless, it bothers me nothing. So hey i can get a car that is as fast as a ferrari, looks similar, costs 1/4 the price and does not cost a fortune to fix/I have a dealership 30 minutes away from me???? Ferrari who? - and this is from an european, I like lambos more myself, if I am going all out, I am going all out.

Last edited by R3awak3n; 07-20-2019 at 12:32 PM.