Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-12-2019, 11:59 AM

I don't know the point of the thread (other than revealing our deepest fantasies) but I would go for a Crumpton all-road with some ENVE wheels and Di2. Other than that, a Firefly and/or a Kirk - I these are the holy trinity of framebuilders and coincidentally, of different materials ...

I have this irrational obsession with owning a set of wheels that say 'ENVE' on the side. No need, just want...
Old 06-12-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Cool.

How would you tell this apart from "regular" peugeots ?
There are quite a few things, but here are some key ones:
*From a distance you can always spot the Reynolds "Continental" fork blades (rounder in cross section like Columbus)
*The rear dropouts are drilled on the wheel interface section
*The build quality is generally pretty high and nicely finished
*Instead of a model name they have a 'Prestige Peugeot" decal on the top tube (there are a surprising number of fake ones)
*They are rather light as they were normally built with lightweight 5/10 tubing (7/10 was regular for Reynolds 531 DB) and on request with 3/10 tubing
*The models for centerpull brakes in the 70's had brazed on brake pivots
*A fair amount of extra chrome which was of a very high standard as was the paint quality...
* They all came from the shop with a Dogwood plug/reinforcement inside the bottom of the steerer tube (How Euro-pro is that?)
Old 06-12-2019, 12:47 PM

Moots Baxter!

Last edited by TheseGoTo11; 06-12-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
Higher end Peugeots are a wonderful ride, especially with a nice set of sew-ups. And, the old Simplex/Stronglight/ Spidel group isn't half bad either.

I take my bike out on long climb rides and ppl are surprised it's "fast."
Very cool bike, BTW. Excepting time trial equipment, it's amazing how bikes haven't gotten any faster (as if a bike can be fast without a rider) for YEARS...In some ways they have gotten more convenient with integrated/indexed shifting, clipless pedals, etc....but no more efficient in a meaningful way. I also like to take out vintage (for me, 1980-90's) bikes on rides, especially if the younger guys are there. I try to answer questions about them in a deadpan way...Q:How many gears do you have A: It's the latest thing....twelve speed....Q:That bike is old...Isn't it? A: Everything you see here is old (including me)...
Old 06-12-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
Very cool bike, BTW. Excepting time trial equipment, it's amazing how bikes haven't gotten any faster (as if a bike can be fast without a rider) for YEARS...In some ways they have gotten more convenient with integrated/indexed shifting, clipless pedals, etc....but no more efficient in a meaningful way. I also like to take out vintage (for me, 1980-90's) bikes on rides, especially if the younger guys are there. I try to answer questions about them in a deadpan way...Q:How many gears do you have A: It's the latest thing....twelve speed....Q:That bike is old...Isn't it? A: Everything you see here is old (including me)...
Oh I agree, new bikes are not faster. I'm a climber, and some of my best Strava climb times are on the Peugeot, not the 7 pound lighter, 11 speed 333fab. Amazing what you can do with a 42x24.

I will admit, Speedplays and Wires blow away toe clips any day!
Old 06-12-2019, 01:11 PM

None I am happy with my MootsVamoots and my parlee Z3, Sure there are other i would like to have but maybe im in a different place. I am elated with my two bikes
Old 06-12-2019, 02:34 PM

if steel -

custom frame from Chris Bishop or Brian Chapman. Since its price no object, I'd be all over a custom road bike that was a collaboration between Bishop and Rob English.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
I don't know the point of the thread (other than revealing our deepest fantasies) but I would go for a Crumpton all-road with some ENVE wheels and Di2. Other than that, a Firefly and/or a Kirk - I these are the holy trinity of framebuilders and coincidentally, of different materials ...

I have this irrational obsession with owning a set of wheels that say 'ENVE' on the side. No need, just want...
Maybe we need to do a time share, I am convinced we ride similar sized bikes.

I too have an irrational desire for a set of ENVES - more in the climber range than anything else.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:07 PM

Mmmm-hmmm...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2547.jpg (149.4 KB, 484 views)
Old 10-05-2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one60 View Post
Since its price no object, I'd be all over a custom road bike that was a collaboration between Bishop and Rob English.
Crazy. I came to say the same thing.

Give mine a Winter threadless stem. I would want a Telekom inspired paint job, Campagnolo mechanical, and lightweights.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Bingham Built MTB with Axs Eagle....
And a SRM Origin carbon crankset.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:09 AM

I think I have changed - just a little bit. I think I want 2.

1. Hors Categorie (DKS) rear stays, but with the geometry I have on my custom Kelly Bedford touring bike - with room for 35 +/- tires. IF there is a way to do disk brakes, then disk. I don't think it is possible with the DKS stays. That's fine, the ride is worth it.

S&S coupled - and set up for electronic shifting, internal cable routing. Front triangle carbon/Ti (think Ottrott).

Bike 1 - S&S as above.

Bike 2 - same geo, but incorporate X-35 'brains' and button to top tube, and have a connection by water bottle for battery. With wired head light and tail light. No internal battery, and a rear hub powered wheel - for when the mood strikes. Just a water bottle battery - plenty to do most of what I would want to get out of it. This, of course, is a total waste - but it would be fun.

The reality is I own the bike I consider to be 95% of what I lust for. I have a custom DKS S&S tweaked by K. Bedford. I just wish it was able to take wider tires. 28 is as wide as it can go... some brands... Still the best ride I have ever owned or ridden. Ever.

Last edited by Dekonick; 10-06-2019 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:33 AM

I do not have a specific bike. However, It would definitely be a top of the line road bike with Columbus SLX tubing, Dura Ace components, clearance for up to 32mm tires, bars and saddle parallel, high grade clincher wheels and tires. Also a really nice paint job, nice and classy, not too tricked out. Maybe a metallic blue or a glossy brass finish.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:41 AM

Mine would still all be pretty functional/workmanlike, if elegant.

- A Seven Ti FS would be the fanciest, $$$$est

- A lugged road a la Sachs, Jeff Lyon, etc. -- maybe even a light tourer

- A bar bike

- Would keep my serotta cx and Cielo SSMTB (which might become a ti ss, ht mtb over time.

All built with great, but not shi-shi parts.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:44 AM

Argonaut and a Kirk.