Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 10:30 AM

Body Imagery and Cycling ...

A number of the recent threads had me pricking up my ears, especially given my profession as a personal trainer. The subtext - expressed either implicitly or explicitly - concerned weight.

I'm curious about that.

I know the pro peloton is rampant with eating disorders and body image issues. Here's a really good read by a blogger and Rapha-sponsored rider: https://totalwomenscycling.com/lifes...age-in-cycling

Perhaps the most salient quote from the blog post:

"And it’s worse for guys too. I’ve dated three bike racers, all of whom have been borderline anorexic. It’s no laughing matter. My friend James described to me the ideal male cyclist look is basically, “you look sick, if someone asks you if you’re feeling alright, you look sickly and gaunt, you’re over the moon […] no man in his right mind would want to look this way, and yet, that’s the ideal”. We even have a term for this body-weight-image obsession: “cyclerexic”.

I love cycling. It is my sport. But I just need to be honest about how it sometimes makes me (and many, many others) feel about our bodies. Cycling culture makes anorexic tendencies totally acceptable. You’re allowed to skip dinner, go to bed hungry, because it’s a good way to shed the pounds."

The irony of having Chris Froome as unnatural aesthetic ideal is that it's something women have had to deal with for eons.

I'm wondering if this preoccupation with weight, body image, and obsessive dieting is prevalent in the recreational cycling world as well...
Old 09-25-2019, 10:32 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
...I'm wondering if this preoccupation with weight, body image, and obsessive dieting is prevalent in the recreational cycling world as well...
I don't think I've ever gone to bed hungry....frequently, just the opposite.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:35 AM

meanwhile, on the other end of the spectrum:
https://www.revelatedesigns.com/site/ipedaledhere/

Quote:
I was half way up City Creek Canyon, totally out of breath. My bike was heavy, and I told my friends to go on without me, I’d catch up. As they pedaled out of sight past the next turn I cursed to myself and thought about my weighted disadvantage. It’s true, my bike is heavy, but so am I. My mind wandered to a quote from the fabulous author Lindy West in her book Shrill:

“Maybe you are thin. You hiked that trail and you are fit and beautiful and wanted and I am so proud of you, I am so in awe of your wiry brightness; and I’m miles behind you, my breathing ragged. But you didn’t carry this up the mountain, You only carried yourself. How hard would you breathe if you had to carry me? You couldn’t. But I can.”
Old 09-25-2019, 10:37 AM

I've done better with portion control in the last 5 years or so, but before that, half the point of cycling was to let me eat whatever I want.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
A number of the recent threads had me pricking up my ears, especially given my profession as a personal trainer. The subtext - expressed either implicitly or explicitly - concerned weight.

I'm curious about that.

... Snippage ....

I'm wondering if this preoccupation with weight, body image, and obsessive dieting is prevalent in the recreational cycling world as well...
Not as much, but of course there are some. Always will be. Cycling garb is tight and the riding posture makes even the skinniest look thick around the middle.

As for the unhealthy obsessions, I blame le Tour for a lot of that. It's a ridiculous race that makes ridiculous demands and as a consequence some seriously unhealthy incentives; willful muscle wastage, calcium deficiency just sickness. Other races don't make those demands.

Whatever you want to say about Mario Cippolini he wasn't wrong to refuse the Tour for being unhealthy.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronsonic View Post
Whatever you want to say about Mario Cippolini he wasn't wrong to refuse the Tour for being unhealthy.
He finished the Giro a good number of times. Is the Giro less unhealthy than the Tour?
Old 09-25-2019, 11:38 AM
Vendor

One of my favorite past times was to go out all day, deplete myself, pickup a super burrito the size of a newborn with all the trimmings, a 6-pack, devour that thing while watching a DVR recording of a race that happened earlier in the day, go into a food/beer coma, and wake up in time for dinner.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
He finished the Giro a good number of times. Is the Giro less unhealthy than the Tour?
It of course changes from year to year, but of the 3 GTs, I would say the Tour is generally the one that least rewards the scrawny waif climber and has the most to offer for the sprinters and roleurs. It has been a while since anyone who wouldn't be considered skinny by any normal standard has won a GT though. Maybe Indurain was the last "normal sized" winner?
Old 09-25-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
One of my favorite past times was to go out all day, deplete myself, pickup a super burrito the size of a newborn with all the trimmings, a 6-pack, devour that thing while watching a DVR recording of a race that happened earlier in the day, go into a food/beer coma, and wake up in time for dinner.
We can hang. Or maybe we could have hung out 10 years ago.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:46 AM
Randomhead

I've always said that cycling is an eating disorder. I was never one to be super-skinny, that's not my body type anyway. And cyclists can eat an amazing number of calories and still stay skinny. But I remember when I hit 155lbs just after graduating from college and thinking I was morbidly obese. If I hit my ideal cycling weight now, people would probably think I had cancer. I really need to lose about 20 pounds to counter issues with blood pressure, but it has been really difficult. I rode a 1000km randonnee in June and lost no weight.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
cyclists can eat an amazing number of calories and still stay skinny.
Speak for yourself

If I didn't ride, I would probably weigh 300+ lbs. As is, I am stuck at ~225 lbs despite the riding I do. I did starve myself last summer and got down to about 215 lbs while also riding lots, but that was not sustainable.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:56 AM
Randomhead

It's not working as well for me anymore either, but I'm not riding as hard anymore either. When I'm on a randonneuring ride, I can't eat much most of the time. Not sure how it ends up that I don't lose weight on those rides. I guess the top pro climbers are fighting their bodies over the last 5 pounds. Hard to believe they are going to bed hungry though. That sounds a lot more like something a amateur racer would do. I used to fast occasionally.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:58 AM

We had our bathroom shower remodeled and I had to move my scale for the construction. Prior to this I was weighing myself twice a day almost daily. Now that I moved the scale I rarely step on it. Still in the same room just not in my "path." So much better for me.

Although, I am about 1-1.5kg up from where I would like to be right now. For some reason my ideal is still ridiculously light.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:59 AM

Cycling for fun = basically healthy
Professional bike racing = unhealthy
Amateur bike racing = can go either way depending on your level of obsession...

My daughter calls pro bike racers "human stick figures." Personally, I like weaponsgrade's philosophy. Bike riding equals more food!

Greg
Old 09-25-2019, 12:43 PM

Funny story after losing a bunch of weight and going to the doctor for a regular check up - he started in on his "teenage girl anorexia" checklist of questions: "are you happy with how you look?" "Do your friends think you're too skinny?" etc.

I laughed and told him I was training for an event, and not to worry. I'll put 10 pounds right back on once I lose focus.
Closed Thread