Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2021, 11:12 PM

PF30 adapters

Have a frame that uses a PF30 bottom bracket. Anychance I can run an older old alloy Campy Record 10 speed crankset that uses Italian threaded bottom bracket? What adapter do I need or do I scrap that plan and get different cranks? Thanks all!
Old 01-28-2021, 12:50 AM

FSA makes a PF30 adaptor, part # B3167-I have one, was a pain to install (you'll need a press to install it), but works great with a square taper Record 10 spd crankset (pre Ultra Torque) and Bottom Bracket (BSA). Not sure if it comes in Italian threading, if it doesn't just spec an BSA threaded square taper BB instead suitable to the crank and frame. One last note, just make sure the PF30 BB on the new frame is to "spec", meaning it measures 68MM (wide) x 46MM (diameter).
Old 01-28-2021, 08:12 AM

Thanks, this appears to be the solution I needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTinz View Post
FSA makes a PF30 adaptor, part # B3167-I have one, was a pain to install (you'll need a press to install it), but works great with a square taper Record 10 spd crankset (pre Ultra Torque) and Bottom Bracket (BSA). Not sure if it comes in Italian threading, if it doesn't just spec an BSA threaded square taper BB instead suitable to the crank and frame. One last note, just make sure the PF30 BB on the new frame is to "spec", meaning it measures 68MM (wide) x 46MM (diameter).
Old 01-28-2021, 08:22 AM

Just a quick note on press-fit to threaded adapters like this one: These adapters tend not to be intended to be removed, and essentially become a permanent part of the frame. So keep that in mind before installing one.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:24 AM

You might also want to check out the White Industry R30 cranks. PF30 to threaded is kind of clunky. They come in silver and I'm pretty sure it would be plug and play with any PF30 outboard bottom bracket.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:07 PM

I used this when building my last bike, did not want to bother with a potential creaky press fit bb. Worked like a charm with Campy Ultra Torque crankset.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:34 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Suggest if campy and PF30 a UT chainset and the genuine campy press in PF30 UT Cups. Obviously this will make silver more of a challenge. ;0
Old 01-28-2021, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Suggest if campy and PF30 a UT chainset and the genuine campy press in PF30 UT Cups. Obviously this will make silver more of a challenge. ;0
Also, why specify Italian threading? Square taper cranks will obviously only fit on square taper BBs, but they don't care what the BB threading is.

Silver cranks that fit UT BB cups isn't a big challenge. There are many groups that had aluminum UT cranks (Veloce, Athena, Potenza, etc.). Athena silver UT cranks have a classic look to them.
Old 01-28-2021, 01:33 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Silver cranks that fit UT BB cups isn't a big challenge. There are many groups that had aluminum UT cranks (Veloce, Athena, Potenza, etc.). Athena silver UT cranks have a classic look to them.
I guess i reflected my own Chorus or above snobbery there, apologies.

But emphasize my opinion that the UT system I feel is excellent.

Are we talking new only, thus more limiting??? Just stinking out loud.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:33 AM

Sage advice!

Agreed with Mark McM, even though I have not tried, ref my experience with the FSA converter noted above, am 100% inclined to leave it as is and not mess with it. The use of the bearing press and the install was not as easy as the instructions seemed to indicate.

Not going to jinx anything by mentioning the word, but no C%^$#@!g at all...on this frame or on another with a PF30 BB installed, never an issue from my perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Just a quick note on press-fit to threaded adapters like this one: These adapters tend not to be intended to be removed, and essentially become a permanent part of the frame. So keep that in mind before installing one.
Old 01-29-2021, 07:41 AM

Thanks all! I should be all set, after taking info from here and bit of research decided to scrap old build and go more modern. Win win: I’m getting a better groupset and there maybe another 10 speed Record groupset coming up for sale here in the near future!