Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Old 01-07-2019, 07:06 AM

Cote D'Azur

What does everyont think about riding and training here? Any good training camps. Thinking about a week of cycling perhaps in the Autum?
Old 01-07-2019, 10:21 AM

I did 4 days at an AirBnB within Nice in 2016, once you get through the city traffic, you've got endless possibilities for routes and locations.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb5998 View Post
I did 4 days at an AirBnB within Nice in 2016, once you get through the city traffic, you've got endless possibilities for routes and locations.
I guess that means rides must start early before the traffic builds up. or stay at the outskirts?
Old 01-07-2019, 11:32 AM

Even in traffic, it's not a bad city to ride in. I normally started rides going up Col D'Eze each day, then branching out to other locations from there when heading East. Going West along the esplanade, you have a bike path until you hit some of the roads going up into the mountains up there.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb5998 View Post
Even in traffic, it's not a bad city to ride in. I normally started rides going up Col D'Eze each day, then branching out to other locations from there when heading East. Going West along the esplanade, you have a bike path until you hit some of the roads going up into the mountains up there.
i guess coming from NYC it should still seem mild
Old 01-09-2019, 08:36 AM

We’ve done a few trips to this area. Fall is a great time to go, but Spring is also good. There are not so many tourists in these seasons, and the weather is generally excellent for cycling. Prices for rental housing peak in the summer, and are much lower in the off seasons. On our last trip we rented a house with 3 other cycling couples in Tourettes-sur-loup. This is a really nice classic little hillside town, excellent bakery, nice restaurants, grocery, and the market in the square comes once a week. The road through town is a popular cycling route, and in the spring can have pack after pack from up north training. Otherwise, not too many folks. It is just west of Vence and the riding up the Col de Vence, and into the hills behind is great. Also going west up through Gourdon or the gorge de loup. Or anywhere for that matter. If you can rustle up some pals, a place like this would not be bad:
https://www.homelidays.com/hebergement/p869986a

Do some looking around for a place to stay on the site above, or gites de france, there are hundreds.

Last edited by 572cv; 01-09-2019 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 01-09-2019, 02:59 PM
Sriracha is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572cv View Post
We’ve done a few trips to this area. Fall is a great time to go, but Spring is also good. There are not so many tourists in these seasons, and the weather is generally excellent for cycling. Prices for rental housing peak in the summer, and are much lower in the off seasons. On our last trip we rented a house with 3 other cycling couples in Tourettes-sur-loup. This is a really nice classic little hillside town, excellent bakery, nice restaurants, grocery, and the market in the square comes once a week. The road through town is a popular cycling route, and in the spring can have pack after pack from up north training. Otherwise, not too many folks. It is just west of Vence and the riding up the Col de Vence, and into the hills behind is great. Also going west up through Gourdon or the gorge de loup. Or anywhere for that matter. If you can rustle up some pals, a place like this would not be bad:
https://www.homelidays.com/hebergement/p869986a

Do some looking around for a place to stay on the site above, or gites de france, there are hundreds.
Also pretty familiar with these roads and can back it up. Love the area. Re: tourists, maybe having spent most of my life in NYC I'm not the best person to ask, but I just ignored them and had no issues. But I also spent all of my time riding roads away from the coast...
Old 03-14-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColnagoC59 View Post
What does everyont think about riding and training here? Any good training camps. Thinking about a week of cycling perhaps in the Autum?
You are near Provence , nice riding there, but the wine is better.