Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2020, 06:09 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Just a note: some of these bars start the flare above the shifter/brake lever tilting the lever, and some do not. I think this should be paid good attention to, folks are likely to get caught out not realizing they cant live with the tilted lever. What I dislike most about the midges personally... YMMV.

But good to take this into consideration before adding yet another part to your parts bin you dislike...
Old 04-02-2020, 06:15 PM
Two wheels good

I have some (non-flared) Specialized Hoverbars on my Lynsky. I dig them. The shallow drop is nice, the tops are shaped well and I have taken them on actually MTB trails without issue. I highly recommend them.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:17 PM

The first time I saw a friend riding FSA K-Wing bars, maybe in 2005 or so, I felt like the overton window had shifted. 15 years later, in a world of slammed stems on endurance frames, the Coefficient Wave, and the Canyon Hover... these either fit right in, or maybe even seem conservative.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:27 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8eh3iub View Post
The first time I saw a friend riding FSA K-Wing bars, maybe in 2005 or so, I felt like the overton window had shifted.
I have those on two road bikes. The flat shelf behind the shifter has been wonderful for eliminating pressure points in my meaty thumb muscles. I spend a lot more time on the hoods with these bars than any other ever before FWIW. They do not increase the stack really except at the initial uprising/tops which then falls away and then those flat spots are lower, pretty much like they are flat to begin with. YMMV. My hands like those is the take away.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:28 PM

For most situations*, riser drop bars are fashion over function. Here are some of the practical disadvantages of riser drop bars:
  • A new stem with a higher rise angle is less expensive than a new set of handlebars
  • Riser bars eliminate the straight portion of the handlebars between the end of the tape and stem clamp, which is useful for: Computers; lights; clip-on aerobars; etc.
  • Riser bars eliminate a hand position - when descending in a tight tuck, you can go faster by sliding your hands inward until they touch they stem.

*The only tiny advantage of riser bars is a slight aero advantage over using an up-angled stem. But the difference is so miniscule it barely measurable in a wind tunnel.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrypretz View Post
I have a set of Hovers on my Roubaix and Ritchey Ergomax on my RLT. I like them both, but I think I like the Ritcheys better. They just feel right to me. I may even replace the Hovers with another set of Ritcheys.

https://us.ritcheylogic.com/us_en/bi...omax-handlebar
With the Ritchey Ergomax bars do the shifter blades remain vertical or do they wind up tilted?
Old 04-02-2020, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Likely nothing. Have a number of ali bars on several bikes for years, never an issue.

I have a set of the aero risers on order for a bike that came to me with the steerer cut for a slam, which doesn't work for me. The fork is painted to match the bike, so a replacement would be pricey. I hate the look of a riser stem more than I dislike the riser bar.
What he said
Old 04-02-2020, 09:34 PM

The Ritchey bar seems to drop back down where the shifters mount, so it looks like it is a riser bar only when you are on the tops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrypretz View Post
I have a set of Hovers on my Roubaix and Ritchey Ergomax on my RLT. I like them both, but I think I like the Ritcheys better. They just feel right to me. I may even replace the Hovers with another set of Ritcheys.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8eh3iub View Post
The first time I saw a friend riding FSA K-Wing bars, maybe in 2005 or so, I felt like the overton window had shifted. 15 years later, in a world of slammed stems on endurance frames, the Coefficient Wave, and the Canyon Hover... these either fit right in, or maybe even seem conservative.
I had to google the canyon hover... well that's different.
It's the K-wing I had been thinking of initially, but like someone else said, I think they rise at the stem then fall back to the hoods to make riding in the hoods more comfy, but not necessarily higher.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:47 PM

So much of road biking is fashion over function. Gotta look pro! Can't show up with the boner stem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
For most situations*, riser drop bars are fashion over function. Here are some of the practical disadvantages of riser drop bars:
  • A new stem with a higher rise angle is less expensive than a new set of handlebars
  • Riser bars eliminate the straight portion of the handlebars between the end of the tape and stem clamp, which is useful for: Computers; lights; clip-on aerobars; etc.
  • Riser bars eliminate a hand position - when descending in a tight tuck, you can go faster by sliding your hands inward until they touch they stem.

*The only tiny advantage of riser bars is a slight aero advantage over using an up-angled stem. But the difference is so miniscule it barely measurable in a wind tunnel.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape View Post
Regular Hover Alloy or Hover Flare?
The flared one.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
I had to google the canyon hover... well that's different.
It's the K-wing I had been thinking of initially, but like someone else said, I think they rise at the stem then fall back to the hoods to make riding in the hoods more comfy, but not necessarily higher.
I just got the FSA AGX bars couple weeks ago and they're the best bars I've ever had. nice flat spot right behind the hoods.

https://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/k...rbon-handlebar
Old 04-03-2020, 08:13 AM

why not a different stem?

Quote:
I have been eyeing the "Riser Drop Bars" short and shallow in order to make my bike more comfortable for long rides... so I ride it more often.

I read this article
https://www.slowtwitch.com/Gravel/Th...Bars_7280.html

and just wondering what people here thing about them. Do you go with the same width and stem? Will the fashion police approve?

Old 04-03-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
why not a different stem?
As David Bowie wrote, Fa-fa-fa-fa-fashion.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:43 AM

I guess you are right. I can imagine them being a good option on a bike with a hard to replace built in stem or custom stem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohagen View Post
As David Bowie wrote, Fa-fa-fa-fa-fashion.