Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2022, 03:17 PM

My tubeless saga continues-

I've always been a bit of a hack when it comes to most things mechanical. I always seem to drop something, grab the wrong Allen wrench, or install something backwards. One of my first bicycle repair disasters occurred when I was about 8 or 9. I'd raised or lowered my seat and kept tightening the bolt (with a 9 inch adjustable jaw wrench,) until it snapped in into two pieces.
But basic bike maintenance isn't rocket science and I'm not a fool, (back in my working days, I could manage a critically ill ICU patient as well as pretty much anyone,) so i keep trying to learn how to work on my bikes.
My latest adventure involved setting up a new set of Boyd CCC wheels tubeless. Last week, in search of the elusive "POP" that signifies a tire bead snapping onto the rim, I went overboard with a tire that was already seated and ended up blowing the tire off the rim. A few days later, when my my ears had stopped ringing, I tried again, but could not get the tire to seat. Off to the bike shop I went and after they couldn't seat the tire, they concluded I damaged the bead, which prevented the tire from seating. As long as I use an inner tube, they advised, I'd be fine.
Well that's all well and good, but I wanted a tubeless wheelset. So I bought another tire. I was able to seat it and after I added sealant, it held air.
Today I installed the cassette and rotor and installed the wheel. Much to my dismay, the wheel is significantly out of true. I must have done something when I blew the tire off the rim. I'll head back to the shop tomorrow to see if they can make my wheel rideable.
Old 01-15-2022, 03:31 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
I've always been a bit of a hack when it comes to most things mechanical.

Much to my dismay, the wheel is significantly out of true.
I can relate. Live and learn.
Old 01-15-2022, 05:29 PM

It's not like you're writing to tell us you left a scalpel or forceps inside a patient. I mean, maybe you did that too but not what we are talking about here.

Just bikes!

Go easy on yourself.
Old 01-15-2022, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
It's not like you're writing to tell us you left a scalpel or forceps inside a patient. I mean, maybe you did that too but not what we are talking about here.

Just bikes!

Go easy on yourself.
This.

(Early on in my tubeless transition I cracked an Enve rim, I was also trying to get that "pop" and put a tube in to help. Over-inflated and cracked the bead/sidewall, felt pretty dumb for a while after that but I'm still here and I'm still riding!)
Old 01-15-2022, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
I've always been a bit of a hack when it comes to most things mechanical. I always seem to drop something, grab the wrong Allen wrench, or install something backwards. One of my first bicycle repair disasters occurred when I was about 8 or 9. I'd raised or lowered my seat and kept tightening the bolt (with a 9 inch adjustable jaw wrench,) until it snapped in into two pieces.
But basic bike maintenance isn't rocket science and I'm not a fool, (back in my working days, I could manage a critically ill ICU patient as well as pretty much anyone,) so i keep trying to learn how to work on my bikes.
My latest adventure involved setting up a new set of Boyd CCC wheels tubeless. Last week, in search of the elusive "POP" that signifies a tire bead snapping onto the rim, I went overboard with a tire that was already seated and ended up blowing the tire off the rim. A few days later, when my my ears had stopped ringing, I tried again, but could not get the tire to seat. Off to the bike shop I went and after they couldn't seat the tire, they concluded I damaged the bead, which prevented the tire from seating. As long as I use an inner tube, they advised, I'd be fine.
Well that's all well and good, but I wanted a tubeless wheelset. So I bought another tire. I was able to seat it and after I added sealant, it held air.
Today I installed the cassette and rotor and installed the wheel. Much to my dismay, the wheel is significantly out of true. I must have done something when I blew the tire off the rim. I'll head back to the shop tomorrow to see if they can make my wheel rideable.
I did this earlier this season mounting a very old 26” studded Schwalbe MTB tire. To this day, I have no idea what I was thinking because I know better. It was just a brain fart. The tire looked ok, but I had damaged the bead and it wouldn’t mount. Putting aside the $100 it cost for a new tire, Schwalbe stopped making the 2.35 tire I had been using. So I ordered a 2.1 and threw it on the back wheel, and use my remaining 2.35 on the front end. My 17 year old Mavic tubeless MTB rim wasn’t damaged thankfully. The old tire is in my spare parts bin so I can salvage replacement studs when the ones in my tires fall out. Expensive lesson I suppose. These things happen.
Old 01-15-2022, 07:34 PM

I guess I'm ahead of the game here. Only issue I had was after mounting schwalbe tires I thought my front wheel was out of true. I took it to a bike shop and they found it hadn't seated correctly. It held air no problem. It took about 10 min and being pumped to 80 psi to get it to seat correctly in that one spot.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:23 PM

I'm okay with messing things up. At my age I've made enough mistakes not to fret over this one. I guess my real concern is that I've damaged a brand new wheel. There had to have been a lot of force directed at the rim to make it so out of true. Hopefully the damage can be fixed.
Old 01-16-2022, 07:50 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I'm okay with messing things up. At my age I've made enough mistakes not to fret over this one. I guess my real concern is that I've damaged a brand new wheel. There had to have been a lot of force directed at the rim to make it so out of true. Hopefully the damage can be fixed.
I've seen wheels go to hell when a tire/tube explosively blows off rim. The rim is aluminum and 'maybe' ya bent it. A decent wheel building guy 'may' be able to make it right but if the rim is bent..
Old 01-16-2022, 04:09 PM

Looks like this wheel goes back to Boyd

This is what happens when you blow a tire off the rim via over-inflation.
Looks like I'll be taking advantage of Boyd's any accident repair service.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-3630.jpg (54.5 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-3623.jpg (149.5 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-3629.jpg (52.2 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-3625.jpg (30.9 KB, 131 views)
Old 01-16-2022, 04:20 PM
Administrator

ouch!

I dont think i comprehend how the dent got in there? Are these "hookless" ?

What was the highest pressure you applied, do you reckon?
Old 01-16-2022, 04:27 PM

They are not hookless and I saw 120 psi on my floor pump just before the big bang. My guess is the dent was caused when the rim hit something with the force generated by the blow off.
Old 01-16-2022, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
They are not hookless and I saw 120 psi on my floor pump just before the big bang. My guess is the dent was caused when the rim hit something with the force generated by the blow off.
oh yea, that's a big number for those wheels. Don't worry about it though, we've all done something that with the benefit of hindsight seems stupid, but stuff happens. I know I have had my share of "duh" moments. Lesson learned.
Old 01-16-2022, 06:37 PM

Quote:
.............. and kept tightening the bolt (with a 9 inch adjustable jaw wrench,) until it snapped in into two pieces.
................. I went overboard with a tire that was already seated and ended up blowing the tire off the rim. ............................... Much to my dismay, the wheel is significantly out of true. I must have done something when I blew the tire off the rim.
there is a theme here. Stop before something pops snaps or cracks.

Torque wrench and a pump with a guage. Before you start, check the limits of what you are working on and use a gentle hand. BUT we have all been there and learnt from it.
Old 01-16-2022, 06:46 PM

Quote:

Those are some weak assed rims if they can't handle 120 psi. I remember running 110 psi on 23c tires.
Old 01-16-2022, 06:49 PM

Quote:
They are not hookless and I saw 120 psi on my floor pump just before the big bang.
Wow!

All that pressure puts a ton of load on the rim and spokes. Normally spoke tension will drop quite a bit once a tubeless tire is mounted and inflated.