Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-06-2024, 08:29 AM
slower than you

Anybody buy a used spin bike?

Like to score a used Stages spin bike, but, I'm open to others with non pad resistance. I've been on a Peloton once, not my favorite, but I'll bet there are a ton out there not being used.
Old 10-06-2024, 09:03 AM

Indoor exercise equipment...perfect for hanging laundry
Old 10-06-2024, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Indoor exercise equipment...perfect for hanging laundry
So true!

When I bought my Bowflex off CL years ago, the seller couldn't get rid of it fast enough...Even offered to transport and set up for me, at 1/4 new cost total. I have a suspicion that a spouse was involved.

And...I picked up an Excelon indoor trainer (Peloton knockoff) for my daughter at $0 US. Low mileage on the unit.
HotTubes
LiteSpeeds
SpeshFat
Old 10-06-2024, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Like to score a used Stages spin bike, but, I'm open to others with non pad resistance. I've been on a Peloton once, not my favorite, but I'll bet there are a ton out there not being used.
I have the Stages smart bike, it's built like a tank and zero maintenance. Might be cheaper if you can find one, since gyms are always trading used equipment whereas smart bikes are still just home buyers. It's a better investment that a dumb spin bike, as it let's you get into Zwift/TrainerRoad, etc., and takes up less room (to use) than a regular trainer. You can still just set a resistance and go though if that's your thing.

Probably my best investment into my fitness over the past 3 years, let's me ride those days when I have odd hours, and it's just a better workout overall. I have probably 90% of my riding hours on it lately...for better or worse.
Old 10-06-2024, 10:03 AM

I thought about buying a used Stages bike, but decided not to because of stories on the internet about the bike dying and the non-existent customer support...then Stages went into bankruptcy.

A used Wahoo bike v1 or v2 would be nice if you want to spend that kind of money.

I ended up getting a Kickr Core and with a $100 Lemond road bike that permanently sits on the trainer.
Old 10-06-2024, 11:11 AM

I have had a Lemond Revmaster for ages that gets regular use on days I can't make it outside or want to squeeze in some saddle time at odd hours, which ends up being a couple of times a week. There are many on the used market, but it uses pad resistance.

Have thought about upgrading, keep eying the Wahoo bike, but have not justified the cost yet, particularly since I have a number of spare parts to keep the spin bike going for a long while.
Old 10-06-2024, 11:20 AM

+1 for Stages SB20

I’ve not regrettted buying this. It’s built like a tank - and weighs about the same too; it took two people to manhandle it down to the basement. I’ve gotten a ton of use out of it and use it with Trainerroad, FulGaz etc. Great investment for winter/offseason fitness!
Old 10-06-2024, 05:16 PM

Anybody buy a used spin bike?

Had a spin bike years ago. So glad that technology has moved on pass it. I have moved thru the whole indoor bike tech thru the years. I now use a Wahoo Kickr bike. It’s a daily ride many days year around. I get so much more exercise out of the Kickr bike than I ever did on the spin bike. Amazing they still sell the things

Last edited by Ewiser; 10-06-2024 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-06-2024, 06:41 PM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdm View Post
I thought about buying a used Stages bike, but decided not to because of stories on the internet about the bike dying and the non-existent customer support...then Stages went into bankruptcy.

A used Wahoo bike v1 or v2 would be nice if you want to spend that kind of money.

I ended up getting a Kickr Core and with a $100 Lemond road bike that permanently sits on the trainer.
I'm not sure how the bike could "die". What's to break? It's a simple, crude thing. And devices are available if the crank meter breaks.
Old 10-06-2024, 10:19 PM

Goes into 100% resistance. Power meter dies. Can't connect to the app.

Check out this thread for examples:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/StagesBikeOwnersGroup

I'm sure there are tons of bikes that work fine. I didn't want to take the chance with zero customer support.
Old 10-06-2024, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
I'm not sure how the bike could "die". What's to break? It's a simple, crude thing. And devices are available if the crank meter breaks.
The resistance is generated by eddy currents, not physically applying friction the flywheel, so it will never be able to operate without a controller and electronics.

That said, roughly 300 hours of use, no issues for me after doing zero maintenance except replacing the button cell batteries on the cranks every 8 months or so.
Old 10-06-2024, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blew View Post
I have had a Lemond Revmaster for ages that gets regular use on days I can't make it outside or want to squeeze in some saddle time at odd hours, which ends up being a couple of times a week. There are many on the used market, but it uses pad resistance.

Have thought about upgrading, keep eying the Wahoo bike, but have not justified the cost yet, particularly since I have a number of spare parts to keep the spin bike going for a long while.
I too have an original yellow Revmaster I got used for $200 a few years ago. I think it's awesome. With the large flywheel, it feels more like riding than any other indoor solution I've tried. Position is infinitely adjustable. It's so much more solid than a typical trainer and you're not bathing your ride in salt. And the best part of the Revmaster- It's QUIET. So nice.

The only downside is no integrated hookup to zwift or whatever. I think that can be accomplished with some power pedals if I actually get interested?
Old 10-07-2024, 08:13 AM
Randomhead

I think zwift did it right with their bike, since it doesn't have a trainer built in. Trainers can die, and if it's part of a bike you have the world's bulkiest electronic waste. I haven't heard any horror stories about wahoo bike dying and wahoo only offering $200 off a new one, but I expect to since that's real common with their trainers. I'm not sure the rest of the industry is any better.

With a low-end smart trainer being pretty good and costing approximately the same as shipping both ways and repair, it seems to me that they are close to being a disposable consumer good. Which is offensive in its own way, but the economics aren't unreasonable. Trainers could be repairable, but the industry doesn't have that as a priority.
Old 10-07-2024, 10:06 AM

Cycleops "3" I think: I bought a floor model from LBS, sold it at small profit on CL during beginning of Covid. It's a great bike, super heavy and stable, smooth.
Old 10-07-2024, 10:09 AM

Trainers are repairable. There are companies that repair them
The Zwift bike is locked into Zwift with the cog. Wahoo has the best customer care in the space. I run wahoo Kickr bike group k. Facebook. A you see people out of warranty getting repairs.
The gearing Zwift bike has is pitiful.