Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjosh View Post
I was really enjoying the PL without Mourinho in it.
At least there is no more risk of Bayern considering this fool for now, that's all I care
Old 11-20-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
he's thinking he can rake in enough cash by having NFL play more games there and that fans will keep pouring into that ginormous 60k stadium

Mourinho may get him a cup win, not the European Cup, but maybe the FA Cup. Then it'll all go to sh*te. After which, Levy will then bribe Mourinho a good $10M to have the latter go away.

Truly appalling bit of business. Spurs will go back to contending with West Ham for the honors of third best team in London...
This is by far the best explanation I've heard. Mourinho will build an entire campaign around winning a trophy—as you say, not the league or CL, but some second- or third-tier piece of hardware—and then, having accomplished his goal, will crow about how he was able to do for the club what Poch never could. All the while, Levy will be content making money. It's horrifying and brilliant, I suppose. I think I'm going to be sick.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
At least there is no more risk of Bayern considering this fool for now, that's all I care
I imagine Poch is heading to Munich or Madrid, where he can have the support he never received in North London. Again, I feel sick. (That said, it was past time for Poch to leave Spurs. He should have gone last summer, when Levy wouldn't buy the players he wanted. The thing is, Poch probably doesn't have a very long shelf-life on a team filled with established stars. He just demands too much of veteran players who seem to worry—perhaps with good reason—that they're shortening their careers in service of his insanely rigorous training regimen and match tactics. None of which is to say that hiring Mourinho is defensible.)
Old 11-20-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelman View Post
This is by far the best explanation I've heard. Mourinho will build an entire campaign around winning a trophy—as you say, not the league or CL, but some second- or third-tier piece of hardware—and then, having accomplished his goal, will crow about how he was able to do for the club what Poch never could. All the while, Levy will be content making money. It's horrifying and brilliant, I suppose. I think I'm going to be sick.
thanks, but i'm just spit-balling like everyone else. Too bad Spurs got knocked out of the Mickey Mouse League Cup and all but qualified for the knockout rounds of Champions League. Jose would have loved to win another Europa League (not to mention a way to get into the Champions League next year). That said, it would be downright hilarious if Mourinho pulls a Wigan...

In pulling this stunt, perhaps Levy forgot what it's like to survive on paltry or no TV revenue from European competitions, b/c that's what Spurs may be staring at a few years down the line.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:13 PM

I've loved Spurs since I was a kid. And I've passed that love on to my kids (someone should call Child Protective Services, yes). But at this point, my affection for the club leaves me hoping they'll be relegated. Better that what obviously will end badly should end sooner rather than later.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:44 PM
Cranky!

Quote:
The thing is, Poch probably doesn't have a very long shelf-life on a team filled with established stars.
I've seen some smart people say that the closest analogy is Simeone's Atletico, who also have a high degree of squad turnover.

The thing about Poch is that he has not shown that he can deliver success over more than one turnover cycle, but it's not his fault that Levy didn't give him the chance.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I've loved Spurs since I was a kid. And I've passed that love on to my kids (someone should call Child Protective Services, yes). But at this point, my affection for the club leaves me hoping they'll be relegated. Better that what obviously will end badly should end sooner rather than later.
look on the bright side, at least you aren't a fan of Wimbledon or Everton

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
I've seen some smart people say that the closest analogy is Simeone's Atletico, who also have a high degree of squad turnover.

The thing about Poch is that he has not shown that he can deliver success over more than one turnover cycle, but it's not his fault that Levy didn't give him the chance.
funny you'd mention Atletico, as that's the team I have in mind when it comes to high intensity teams. Their trainer/ head of conditioning is known for working over new players until they puke.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:46 PM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

It will be entertaining, especially the post match interviews (think microscope).

I don't think it is a good fit. Has the potential to end very badly.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:16 PM
Strong Walker

Quote:
I imagine Poch is heading to Munich or Madrid, where he can have the support he never received in North London. Again, I feel sick. (That said, it was past time for Poch to leave Spurs. He should have gone last summer, when Levy wouldn't buy the players he wanted. The thing is, Poch probably doesn't have a very long shelf-life on a team filled with established stars. He just demands too much of veteran players who seem to worry—perhaps with good reason—that they're shortening their careers in service of his insanely rigorous training regimen and match tactics. None of which is to say that hiring Mourinho is defensible.)
As a Bayern supporter, i really hope we will pass Poch and go for ten Hag, who is a better follow-up to the foundation LvG and Pep laid and was lacking with Anchelotti and Kovac. Rumours in town are the new strong man Hainer favours him but has declared to "stay out" of that decision; sports director Salihamidzic seems to like him, too. There are non-dying rumours about a Pep comeback (he still owns an appartment in munich and his family liked it here) and as an outsider-tip Alonso.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:29 AM
Cranky!

Quote:
Their trainer/ head of conditioning is known for working over new players until they puke.
There are some funny stories about Diego Costa and 'El Profe' when the former rejoined them after six months on the couch in Brazil.

It doesn't always work. Magath takes this approach too, but he seems to burn teams out even faster than others.
Old 11-29-2019, 04:21 PM

Congrats, @wc1934, looks like Napoli has made in to the knock-out rounds.

Which leaves LFC in quite a bind. Granted, there were some questionable "tactics" employed by Napoli, but LFC's front three gotta finish a bit better. Now LFC needs to secure a point in Salzburg, all while missing Fabinho. Might turn into quite the high-scoring affair.

And to think, the defending holders of the European Cup may get knocked out by some upstart team from an Austrian city better known for its musical talents...
Old 11-29-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Congrats, @wc1934, looks like Napoli has made in to the knock-out rounds.

Which leaves LFC in quite a bind. Granted, there were some questionable "tactics" employed by Napoli, but LFC's front three gotta finish a bit better. Now LFC needs to secure a point in Salzburg, all while missing Fabinho. Might turn into quite the high-scoring affair.

And to think, the defending holders of the European Cup may get knocked out by some upstart team from an Austrian city better known for its musical talents...
not yet - need a point on the 10th. Drew with Gent in the first game and they are kicking themselves now for not collecting the 3.

RB can score (16) - only Bayern (21) and Spurs (17) have scored more goals - but they have let in 11.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:36 PM

Savior of USMNT?

Profile on Jesse Marsch, who's one win away from becoming the first U.S. manager to reach the Champions League knockout stage

Personally, I'd want to see him lose this one, but he and Red Bull Leipzig (I means Salzburg) have been revelations of the season.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...american-coach
Old 12-10-2019, 12:28 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
It doesn't always work. Magath takes this approach too, but he seems to burn teams out even faster than others.
Magath has turned into a complete football coaching troll after getting fired from Bayern. His hiring and his coaching methods at Wolfsburg and Schalke looked as if he was testing out what sort of lunacy would get him fired.
Not enough insight about his Fulham stint, where his english language skills were enogh to make him look like something out of a Benny Hill movie...
Old 12-10-2019, 10:17 AM
Cranky!

Definitely nervous about today. Should be a good game, with goals.

As defending champs, league leaders, and generally a team firing on all cylinders, Liverpool will have no excuse for not defending what boils down to a 4:3 first leg lead.