Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2024, 04:08 PM

Trainer front fork stand

I've used a beater frame on my trainer, first a Kurt, now a Tacx, with no front wheel. I cobbled together a fork stand with some wood and am thinking I'd like to make something a bit more robust. Using the trainer with no front wheel allows for less front clearance...

What, if anything, have others done? I can't find anything commercial, except the fork stands for rollers, so I'm guessing this will be another DIY job.

One slight complication is that I have the Tacx shaker adapter under the trainer, so it moves a bit. I'm thinking the front fork stand might want to move too...

Lets see your solutions to this (first world!) problem...

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trainer fork stand.jpg (127.3 KB, 139 views)
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 02-25-2024 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-25-2024, 04:35 PM

I use a dirt cheap wheel with a tube and tire. It has never been ridden outside.

I raise my front wheel by 1” with a piece of wood.
Old 02-25-2024, 05:12 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

100% chance your local bike shop has a front wheel in their trash can sometime this week you can have for free.
But yeah, for your application you want to make it more stable and perhaps some tennis balls on the corner to allow some motion, although that then puts more strain on your rear dropouts/frame twisting.
Old 02-25-2024, 05:37 PM

Mine is basically no different than yours, I just found a stool that was the right height. The whole set-up is on the rocker plate, so I don't have to worry about the fore/aft movement. If the trainer is moving fore/aft then it'd be better to figure out how to copy the bottom of the kickr climb somehow (so the fork can move too)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0125 Medium.jpeg (81.9 KB, 125 views)
Old 02-25-2024, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
100% chance your local bike shop has a front wheel in their trash can sometime this week you can have for free.
Thanks for the suggestions!

I've got wheels up the wazoo...I like not having the front wheel stick out....

Quote:
although that then puts more strain on your rear dropouts/frame twisting.
Cheap sacrificial Craigslist frame. If it breaks, I'll get another.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-25-2024, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neusmell View Post
Mine is basically no different than yours, I just found a stool that was the right height. The whole set-up is on the rocker plate, so I don't have to worry about the fore/aft movement. If the trainer is moving fore/aft then it'd be better to figure out how to copy the bottom of the kickr climb somehow (so the fork can move too)
Right now the stand is rocking with the motion plate, which is no bueno. It was more stable before I added the motion plate.

Hmmm....if the fork can move freely, it will move with the motion plate....hmmm....the only issue is stability...hmmm....

The wheels are, um, turning.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 02-25-2024 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-26-2024, 07:39 AM

I made something very similar to your stand using a piece of 4x4 with a 2x6 base. It's pretty solid. Painted it black and mounted a QR mount just like yours. No front wheel makes a huge difference when you have limited space.
Old 02-26-2024, 07:53 AM

Lots of folks are using these half round inflatable "hedgehog" balance pods as minimalist rockers-should work under your fork mount
https://www.amazon.com/Yes4All-Balan.../dp/B079N75FG5
Old 02-26-2024, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Lots of folks are using these half round inflatable "hedgehog" balance pods as minimalist rockers-should work under your fork mount
https://www.amazon.com/Yes4All-Balan.../dp/B079N75FG5
Thanks! Looks like an option!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-26-2024, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttley View Post
I made something very similar to your stand using a piece of 4x4 with a 2x6 base. It's pretty solid. Painted it black and mounted a QR mount just like yours. No front wheel makes a huge difference when you have limited space.
Agreed!

Not sure how important stability is on the front end with the Tacx trainer providing most of the support and stability.

That having been said, I think I'm going to rebuild the front stand with a floating top that provides fore/aft movement (using four hidden roller blade wheels). Probably way overkill, but it's always fun exercising the wood working and McGyver tools.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-26-2024, 09:48 AM

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Agreed!

Not sure how important stability is on the front end with the Tacx trainer providing most of the support and stability.

That having been said, I think I'm going to rebuild the front stand with a floating top that provides fore/aft movement (using four hidden roller blade wheels). Probably way overkill, but it's always fun exercising the wood working and McGyver tools.
I like the idea of eliminating the front wheel. I have a trainer that allows some rocking movement and a solid base front support would defeat that. The roller blade wheels are an interesting idea (maybe overkill).

Last edited by bart998; 02-26-2024 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-26-2024, 05:42 PM

I don't think stability is that important front to back! I think the key is to not let the handlebars 'turn' too much -- when I've let people use the rocker plate with their wheel on, that's been the problem. The handlebars turn, then the body leans, then the trainer leans, and....it feels very unstable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Agreed!

Old 02-26-2024, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neusmell View Post
I don't think stability is that important front to back! I think the key is to not let the handlebars 'turn' too much -- when I've let people use the rocker plate with their wheel on, that's been the problem. The handlebars turn, then the body leans, then the trainer leans, and....it feels very unstable.
Agreed. I will put play into the front end front to rear, to match the motion plate. It's the side to side that will be constrained...

I learned the hard way about leaning on a trainer...years ago I was on my rollers watching motorcycle track racing, and when the bikes leaned into the first turn...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-27-2024, 02:44 AM

I took the more expensive way. Bought the Tacx front wheel stand for their rollers. Then cut a piece of alu profile, drilled some holes in the Tacx part and did not do a good job and then realised I could just use the holes there is already in there, put some protection under the new “legs” and now it works really good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0219.jpeg (67.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0218.jpeg (56.9 KB, 31 views)