Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-04-2023, 02:59 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
Once you accept that a quartz watch is perfectly sensible, more affordable, more reliable, and comes in a lot of choices, the world is your Oyster (pun intended). Buy yourself a nice suit (or entire new wardrobe) with the savings.
I'm perfectly happy to spend relatively small amounts of $ for mechanical watches. (by that I mean less than $1k. Above that (say $2k max) is harder to justify and I don't go there often at all)

This week I'm wearing my SKX007. Affordable and about as basic a diver as you'll find anywhere, and I like it just fine.

For those who aren't familiar with Seiko divers: (mine is on a strap, but not the OEM one, which is horrible)

Old 10-04-2023, 03:15 PM

It isn’t about function

When I dove there were good quartz dive watches, plus an issued dive computer on the air supply, right next to the gauge. When I couldn’t have a cellphone in a SCIF, there was a clock on the wall. When I used to be able to run for hours, a GPS watch gave me so much more useful info.
None of those things convey the same sense of history, beauty, craftsmanship, and artistry that a well designed and well executed hand wind or mechanical watch does (for me).
Old 10-04-2023, 03:32 PM

I have that in Pepsi with the jubilee. One of my favorites and cheap enough I never need to think about it.

My other daily wear is a G-Shock GAB2100. It reminds me of the AP OAK.

And my camping timex is another cheap one I enjoy wearing. Reminds me of an explorer 2!

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 10-04-2023 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-04-2023, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I'm perfectly happy to spend relatively small amounts of $ for mechanical watches. (by that I mean less than $1k. Above that (say $2k max) is harder to justify and I don't go there often at all)

This week I'm wearing my SKX007. Affordable and about as basic a diver as you'll find anywhere, and I like it just fine.

For those who aren't familiar with Seiko divers: (mine is on a strap, but not the OEM one, which is horrible)

That has always been one of the cleanest, most beautiful watches ever made.

And yea, I have a couple.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 10-05-2023, 08:37 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
When I dove there were good quartz dive watches, plus an issued dive computer on the air supply, right next to the gauge. When I couldn’t have a cellphone in a SCIF, there was a clock on the wall. When I used to be able to run for hours, a GPS watch gave me so much more useful info.
None of those things convey the same sense of history, beauty, craftsmanship, and artistry that a well designed and well executed hand wind or mechanical watch does (for me).
Remember those digital watches where you set the 'beep' to correspond to your running pace? I had one and I couldn't hear the beep..bought it in Japan.
Old 10-05-2023, 09:15 AM

yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Remember those digital watches where you set the 'beep' to correspond to your running pace? I had one and I couldn't hear the beep..bought it in Japan.
My dad had one, late 70's or early 80's. his was audible and it annoyed me--he was way ahead of his time running with very high cadence--rapid-fire high-pitched annoyance: I used to ride my 10-spd and pass him water bottles on his long Sunday run 90-120minutes of that.

Tags
braceline, man bracelet