Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-09-2021, 09:50 PM
Deconditioned!

Sram RED AXS rear dr max cassette size?

Can one of these handle the 10-36 cassette? I do not have the wide/max version.

Else, I guess I'd try a Wolf Tooth RoadLink. Anyone tried one with an AXS dr? Feedback? Please feedback specific to a AXS dr...I've put these on friends' bikes before and they've worked great. So I'm wondering about this specific dr.

Else, a new dr.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:02 PM

Sram RED AXS rear dr max cassette size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
Can one of these handle the 10-36 cassette? I do not have the wide/max version.

Else, I guess I'd try a Wolf Tooth RoadLink. Anyone tried one with an AXS dr? Feedback? Please feedback specific to a AXS dr...I've put these on friends' bikes before and they've worked great. So I'm wondering about this specific dr.

Else, a new dr.

Yes. The short cage RD (33t) will work with the 10-36 cassette. See Hack #1 in the linked article.

https://blog.3t.bike/2020/05/14290/s...vel-bike-tech/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2021, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJ View Post
Yes. The short cage RD (33t) will work with the 10-36 cassette. See Hack #1 in the linked article.

https://blog.3t.bike/2020/05/14290/s...vel-bike-tech/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A hack really isn’t required, just screw in the b all the way and make sure you have the correct chain length.
Have tried both force and red axs with 10-36 cassettes and they’re all good.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:10 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJ View Post
Interesting. Thank you. I'm all for trying something without dumping a pile of cash first. However, from the pics, isn't that dr setup (with the short chain) hard on something? It's a bit hard on my eyes. However, if it works, and doesn't damage anything, I may try it.

I may also just go for the RoadLink. $20 may keep me from worrying about the dr. I do appreciate the info though!

Old 11-09-2021, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
Interesting. Thank you. I'm all for trying something without dumping a pile of cash first. However, from the pics, isn't that dr setup (with the short chain) hard on something? It's a bit hard on my eyes. However, if it works, and doesn't damage anything, I may try it.

I may also just go for the RoadLink. $20 may keep me from worrying about the dr. I do appreciate the info though!

Road link isn’t necessary since the difference is only 3 - from using the link on eight different SRAM RDs over the years it’s really only needed when the stated capacity is 5-6t below the cassette size. Otherwise you might even be better off just getting a longer b screw from a hardware store instead of a derailleur knuckle extender.

Also the road link makes the shifting a bit sloppier in my experience - and given the tighter tolerances of 12s vs 11s this might be less than ideal

Get the 10-36 cassette first and then figure out if the wide RD is necessary after some testing.
Old 11-10-2021, 05:59 PM

The standard axs RD will work with a 10-36, without resorting to a short chain. Use the correct big/big plus 1 inch and set the B gap at about 3mm instead of 5mm.

The road link won't work.

Also, there is no difference in cage length or wrap capacity with the 36T RD. It just sits further back to improve clearance.

If the B gap is too large with the 33T RD, it will foul up the 10-11 shift. Reduce it until that shift works.

Last edited by Dave; 11-11-2021 at 07:10 AM.
Old 11-11-2021, 11:56 AM
Deconditioned!

Excellent info all. Thank you much! This will help my trial immensely by not having to pony up for a new RD.

Tags
axs compatibility