Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-04-2019, 07:11 AM

Campy Shimano 10sp cassette conversion?

I have some beautiful NOS Daytona 10 shifters that DHallerman offered here a while back (from a trove of something like 9 sets). Now building the bike these were intended for (Or maybe I decided I needed a bike to put these awesome shifters on..) Trying like crazy to avoid buying a new silver rear hub (front will be dyno) since I have several candidate shimano hubs, including a gorgeous 7900, which is just about as beautiful as a silver Campy hub. I also found fd and rd to match.

I've only ever ridden Shimano but I've read a lot casually, as a disinterested party, about Shimergo options over the years, and ideally, a shimano cassette with Campy spacing would be ideal. These dont seem to be available as much these days, the issue having been mostly rendered moot with the matching 11sp spacing. I looked at options such as IRD conversion cassette, individual TA cogs from Peter While, and Ambrosio conversion, which was on ebay. These are all unavailable, scarce, and/or too expensive to justify for a friction part on a rider bike. The Ambrosio was pretty cheap but only saw one and no longer there. If I could buy a bunch of those somewhere that could work.

I prefer to use the Campy deraileur rather than, say, adjusting the pull ratio of Shimano deraileur using some alternate routing. And am absolutely not using one of those shiftmate things. Also would rather not use 8sp shimano cassette (or was it 9?) and block off the last one or two clicks on the shifters.

For the time being I just put 6700 shifters rd on there. These are fine and great, but really would be cool to have the Campy set up. That would be inspiring.

Ideas?
Old 01-04-2019, 08:07 AM

Try the classifieds here. The last time someone was hunting for one of those cassettes, it seemed like a bunch of people had them lying around.

FWIW, I did the same search recently and came to the conclusion that I’d rather get the proper Campy wheel(s). Lots of great deals here lately.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:09 AM
Riding Along

Well, your best option is to run a nine speed shimano cassette with your ten speed campy drive train. Works great and cassette are available. I know this is on your prefer not to list but it is the simplest option.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:28 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
I have some beautiful NOS Daytona 10 shifters that DHallerman offered here a while back (from a trove of something like 9 sets). Now building the bike these were intended for (Or maybe I decided I needed a bike to put these awesome shifters on..) Trying like crazy to avoid buying a new silver rear hub (front will be dyno) since I have several candidate shimano hubs, including a gorgeous 7900, which is just about as beautiful as a silver Campy hub. I also found fd and rd to match.

I've only ever ridden Shimano but I've read a lot casually, as a disinterested party, about Shimergo options over the years, and ideally, a shimano cassette with Campy spacing would be ideal. These dont seem to be available as much these days, the issue having been mostly rendered moot with the matching 11sp spacing. I looked at options such as IRD conversion cassette, individual TA cogs from Peter While, and Ambrosio conversion, which was on ebay. These are all unavailable, scarce, and/or too expensive to justify for a friction part on a rider bike. The Ambrosio was pretty cheap but only saw one and no longer there. If I could buy a bunch of those somewhere that could work.

I prefer to use the Campy deraileur rather than, say, adjusting the pull ratio of Shimano deraileur using some alternate routing. And am absolutely not using one of those shiftmate things. Also would rather not use 8sp shimano cassette (or was it 9?) and block off the last one or two clicks on the shifters.

For the time being I just put 6700 shifters rd on there. These are fine and great, but really would be cool to have the Campy set up. That would be inspiring.

Ideas?
Ctr cog to ctr cog differences on Campag 10s and shimano 9s are less than Campag 10s and shimano 10s..I know you are looking for a shimano 10s cogset spaced to Campag 10s but with the additional width and as you have seen, tough to find. Put a shimano 9s cogset and chain on there..it'll work famously with Campag 10s shifters/der..I did it a lot for those who had touring bikes, wanted a place to put their handlebar bag(no exposed cables) but wanted lower gears..shimano MTB 9s cogsets and long cage triple Campag rear der did it.

Oppps, read the farging posts..blackdog above..same solution.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:54 AM

Thanks for the ideas. Huh. Maybe will consider or re-consider the Shimano 9 cassette if works as good as OP and BD say. Dont even need shifting under load, Just want clean shifts. This is more a touring set up and I let up slightly when shifting anyway.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:00 AM

The Shimano 9 cassette with the Campagnolo 10 shifters worked very well for me also.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:42 AM

Throw a Sram derailleur on there.

SRAM 10 spd R.D. + Campagnolo 10 spd shifter + 10 spd Shimano/Sram cassette. A Lennard Zinn special. I can confirm it works with no issues.

(I know you said you prefer a Campy derailleur, but just throwing it out there.)
Old 01-04-2019, 09:45 AM
Administrator

i would just keep looking for a loose cog conversion cassette personally.

i have tried a few of the work arounds over the years and find that while some of them work acceptable, the shifting is not campy smooth with the kludges.

the thing is, once you find the conversion cassette, if it's loose cog, you are good for life. just replace the loose worn cogs and keep the spacers, they obviously never wear out.

i bet if you post a WTB for one in the classifieds, one will turn up.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:28 AM

Yes-The SRAM rd may be a little too Shimergo for my taste-purely as aesthetic consideration.

The two issues with the with loose cogs is that a) they are expensive-at least the TA ones from Peter White b) the large ones will bite into the hub body. The latter may not be such a big deal.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:32 PM

Honestly, why limit yourself to a conversion cassette just because you have a Shimano hub in the spare box? There are so many Campy 9-10-11 compatible hubs out there in silver on the used market for cheap. Might as well get a proper Campy hub and allow yourself the flexibility in selecting the cassette size that works best for you. Veloce 10 speed cassettes are cheap and easy to source.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:17 PM

There is always the Jtek Shiftmate #1. They work well and are less aesthetically offensive than a SRAM rear derailleur (which does also work well).
Old 01-04-2019, 01:23 PM

This all really depends on what you want out of the set-up.

If you want a big mtb cassette, 9sp shimano with a 34, 36 or even 40 big tooth, then hubbbub alternate routing with a 9 sp shimano derailleur.

If you want mechanical simplicity with Shimano hub and cassette, then 8sp shimano cassette (no alternate routing needed).

If you want it 'pure,' then get a campy rear hub.

Btw, Shimergo 10sp with a Sram rear derailleur is far from proven and reliable. Despite Lennard Zinn's article, I've heard just as many people say it doesn't work. I tried it out once and found it sorta-kinda worked, but it was far less smooth than the other Shimergo options. I went back to full Campy 10 on that bike, and was much happier.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:00 PM

The Zinn thing did not work for me. Shimergo does. Have a sram derailleur I bought for nothing now. Check Art cyclery's conversion tables.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:05 PM

I have a NOS silver Mirage hub if you want to build an inexpensive C10 wheel. Miche would be another viable option, but I don't know if you can buy a single rear.

Do you have any 11 speed Shimano wheels? It's easy to respace a Tiagra 10 cassette to C10.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eak12 View Post
...Btw, Shimergo 10sp with a Sram rear derailleur is far from proven and reliable. Despite Lennard Zinn's article, I've heard just as many people say it doesn't work. I tried it out once and found it sorta-kinda worked, but it was far less smooth than the other Shimergo options. I went back to full Campy 10 on that bike, and was much happier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoker View Post
The Zinn thing did not work for me. Shimergo does. Have a sram derailleur I bought for nothing now. Check Art cyclery's conversion tables.
The Art's Cyclery page is cool, great info and history. What rear derailleur did the two of you use? I used a GX 2x10 with clutch.