Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2024, 10:48 AM
Back At It!

New Rene Herse Tire

Looks like a really nice tire with some thoughtful R&D behind it and and real-world testing from some folks I admire.. I'm interested!

https://www.renehersecycles.com/intr...-orondo-grade/

Last edited by fourflys; 01-18-2024 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-18-2024, 10:59 AM

Sweet.
Old 01-18-2024, 11:10 AM

definitely going to be ordering a set.
Old 01-18-2024, 12:08 PM

they look great

but also kinda like gravel kings.

assuming better ride quality tho

Id roll em!
Old 01-18-2024, 12:33 PM
Randomhead

Maybe if I go to PBP again. I have been fairly happy with 32mm gravel king slicks, but it seems like you can only get the + version for tubeless, which is slower.
Old 01-18-2024, 01:03 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
Maybe if I go to PBP again. I have been fairly happy with 32mm gravel king slicks, but it seems like you can only get the + version for tubeless, which is slower.
FWIW, Panaracer shows the regular slick in 32mm is tubeless(TLC)...
Old 01-18-2024, 01:07 PM
Sunshine

From the site...
Quote:
This project has taken several years. We’ve tested various beads until we found one that keeps the tire on the rim securely at high pressures, yet is not too difficult to mount and remove. We’ve worked on creating a liner that makes the tire airtight, yet doesn’t rob the casing of its suppleness. We’ve made dozens of prototypes and tested them over many thousands of miles in real-world scenarios—durability, rolling resistance, ease of mounting, and how well they retain the sealant over time. (One test was to put the wheels aside for a month and then check that the sealant had not dried out.) We sent prototype tires to riders like Ted King and Brennan Wertz to get their input. Once our test results showed what we wanted to see, and once everybody on the R&D team was completely satisfied, we finally approved the new tires for production.
I believe they tested various beads and sent tires to others to test.
As for RH creating the liner that makes the tire airtight yet supple?...Ill refer back to a claim made earlier in the article- they are a small company with limited resources.

Neat that they have a tubeless road tire that they say ends the tubeless road debacle that RH, in part, created for themselves.
Not neat that its yet another name. Why dont they just call all their slick tires one thing and all their knobby tires another thing? They would just need 5 tire names. You dont need 5 names for the 700c knobby tires alone- its the same tire just different widths- use the same name for all of them.
RH Inspirationally Named slick 700c tire- 26mm, 28mm, 31mm(this new 'different' tire), 32mm, 35mm, 38mm, 44mm, 48mm, 55mm.
RH Inspirationally Named knobby 700c tire- 38mm, 42mm, 44mm, 48mm, 55mm.
RH Inspirationally Named slick 650b tire- 38mm, 42mm, 48mm.
RH Inspirationally Named knobby 650b tire- 42mm, 48mm, 55mm.
RH Inspriationally Named tire- 1.25", 1.8", 2.3", 2.3" Knobbed.

Me when it comes to RH tire names...

Last edited by mstateglfr; 01-18-2024 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-18-2024, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Ill refer back to a claim made earlier in the article- they are a small company with limited resources.
This. I guess I should give them props for their marketing and copy.
Old 01-18-2024, 01:13 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
As for RH creating the liner that makes the tire airtight yet supple?...Ill refer back to a claim made earlier in the article- they are a small company with limited resources.
who, I would assume, worked super close with Panaracer to create that liner and bead.. and Panaracer certainly has vaster resources..
Old 01-18-2024, 01:30 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
who, I would assume, worked super close with Panaracer to create that liner and bead.. and Panaracer certainly has vaster resources..
For sure- 100%. And I am not trying to make that eyeroll of an argument that 'RH is just a marketing company and so is Trek and everyone else except for Giant and Specialized...kinda!'.
I recognize 'we made' can be a valid way to represent work done by a company that doesnt actually manufacture its product.

I am just saying that how I read the text makes it seem like RH was huddled around a table with various compounds, beakers, and bubbling liquids trying to solve the issue. They definitely could have 'worked on' this never existed before liner alongside Panaracer(I assume its them) by sending chemical compound options back and forth across the ocean via email and Teams meetings.
Or they could have 'worked on' this never existed before liner alongside Panaracer by saying- 'Hey Panaracer, we are a joke in the marketplace when it comes to tubeless tires 32mm and narrower and in case you didnt know, your self branded tires and the tires you make for other small brands are also a joke. Please figure out a way to bring your narrower road tires up to spec. We will pay for first use.'

Last edited by mstateglfr; 01-18-2024 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-18-2024, 02:25 PM

I swore off skinny tires recently and have been happy rolling RH 650x42 on the road. Probably I don't need a 700x30something anymore, but I do like RH tires...

Instagram
Old 01-18-2024, 02:44 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Sounds like a Stampede Pass in tubeless. Except the 32mm that is 31mm on Stampede Pass is still called 32mm??

#AboutTime?
Old 01-18-2024, 03:01 PM

Will the bead diameter be correct this time around?
Old 01-18-2024, 03:17 PM

Quote:
From the site...

I believe they tested various beads and sent tires to others to test.
You don't think it's possible that we could refer to a collaboration between Panaracer and Rene Herse?
Old 01-18-2024, 04:13 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
You don't think it's possible that we could refer to a collaboration between Panaracer and Rene Herse?
Sure I think that is possible. I posted that as a possibility.

If they meant 'we' as more than RH though, they sure forgot to say who 'we' refers to. The article is from RH and Panaracer is never mentioned. Individuals who worked in the tire release by way of testing the tire in various cons editions were not only mentioned, but photo featured too, so it's not like RH wasn't wanting to reveal partners that made this happen.

Really though, I highlighted it simply because it made me chuckle. I don't actually care if RH claims they are the solely 'we'.

Tags
perpetual motion machine, tyres