Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-08-2021, 09:12 PM

Uber/Lyft when you are stuck with your bike

I have never used Uber or Lyft rides so far. But I am now considering signing up for the Uber or Lyft app so I can call up a ride if I am stuck somewhere with my bike.

Has anyone used Uber or Lyft in such a situation where you are stuck with your bike and need a ride back to your home or car? How does it work? Do you have to request a specific vehicle which will have bike rack or enough room for a bike?

Thanks,
Jalal
Old 05-08-2021, 10:10 PM

I’m interested in the answer as well. I’m guessing it involves $$$
Old 05-08-2021, 10:37 PM

You can fit almost any bike south of 60cm in the trunk of a sedan by removing the wheels and lowering the seatpost (never had an ISP bike).

I have no specific experience with rideshare and if they are amenable to this, just saying it's physically possible for most bikes.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:42 PM

I did this in February or March. I forget. First time for me. I just booked an Uber XL (generally this'll be a sizeable 4x4) and hoped for the best. The guy turned up in a Honda CR-V or something like that. He was totally understanding, he wasn't at all bothered.

Drivers have the right to refuse you, but it'll be a waste of their time to do that. I bet they've had stranger requests than a bicycle in their trunk anyway.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:44 PM
Randomhead

I used uberX the one time I needed rescuing. You can probably fit your bike in a smaller car. Cost me $60, well worth it though.

There is someone in our club that's famous for ubering in at the end of a long ride. One time I was with him 10 miles from the finish of a 600km brevet, and he disappeared behind me. I had no time to go back and look for him, I finished with 5 minutes left on the clock. 20 minutes after I finished, he comes in an uber. His chain broke on a steep hill
Old 05-08-2021, 10:45 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Around here there are enough willing folks with pick-up trucks, and I'm far enough out in the boondocks (away from city things like Uber) that it's easier to just stand by the side of the road looking like you need help.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:51 PM

A guy in my club once called AAA when he had a mechanical while on a solo ride. He was a member and called and explained his situation and they dispatched a truck. When the flatbed arrived he thought he had a motorcycle and laughed as he strapped his bike down. He then took a picture of the strapped bike, because nobody would believe him.....
Old 05-09-2021, 12:39 AM
#RYFB

I had to do this once when I broke a spoke and was unable to restore the wheel to a ridable state. Simply called a regular Uber, guy showed up in a Prius, best I recall I just took the front wheel off, no problem.

Bonus: part of my cycling club includes reimbursement for rideshare if it's at least 10 miles (it was 11), so cost me nothing. YMMV.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:10 AM
Pack fill

Fortunately I have never been stranded and had to call for help. But a few years back I did ride the 5 boro bike tour in NYC. I won a one year membership to the Better World club. One of their membership options is a bicycle only membership. If you get stranded and you contact them they will dispatch a vehicle to pick you up and take you home. They also are a regular auto club similar to AAA, but that is a different membership. I have renewed the membership every year but have never used it. Does anyone have experience with Better World Club?
Old 05-09-2021, 05:35 AM
aka RAEKWON

You could always also get AAA, they have that bike thing that they will come get you if you have a mechanical. Probably pays for itself if you need it a few times but you also get the car service in case you also don't have it.

I always just call my wife, she has come get me a few times.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:45 AM
Proud Grandpa

I guess YMMV..I locked myself outta my car once(ooops). Tried to call an Uber..they asked the estimated trip distance(not far), then said one was 'on the way', then 'trip declined'...walked home//in about a foot of snow..
Old 05-09-2021, 07:14 AM

A few times when I've flown somewhere to go skiing, I've noticed that Uber gave us a "ski" option that allowed you to request a car that had ski racks to pick you up. Would be cool if they offered a "bike" option.

Anyone know someone who works for Uber?
Old 05-09-2021, 07:48 AM

I was on a group ride when I broke a spoke during a county line sprint and was unable to do a roadside repair. I ordered an Uber XL and the driver was super accommodating. I’ve heard of others using it as a bailout as well without issue.
Old 05-09-2021, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
Drivers have the right to refuse you, but it'll be a waste of their time to do that. I bet they've had stranger requests than a bicycle in their trunk anyway.
My daughter was moving out of her apartment and needed to take a half dozen full garbage bags to the dumpster on the far side of her apartment complex.

UberXL driver was happy to help.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 05-09-2021, 09:12 AM

USA Cycling has a recovery benefit as a part of it's membership.