Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-26-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
Do you do much road riding with it, or mostly gravel?
Bout half and half. I have two wheelsets, 700c road and 650b 2.1" gravel. Bike shreds on pavement and gravel.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:34 PM

Curiosity got me, so I went and demo'd an Exploro. It was really good on and off road...the frame dampens vibration and goes when you step on it, etc...my thoughts match this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by floxy1 View Post
I rode one for a couple hours last week and was really impressed. It was setup as a gravel race bike with 650b x 47mm (?) tires. It was very well mannered, stiff but not harsh and seemed fast on pavement, particularly given the wide tires. They are too expensive for my blood but I enjoyed the ride.
I would be between M and L sizes on this, and I wonder how a 71.5 head angle on the M would compare to the very familiar 72.5 head angle on the the L that I rode.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 07-30-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:20 PM
aka RAEKWON

I just got mine. i will do a little write up after I get it built and a nice ride (D2R2 yay)

I can tell this already, the details on this frame are fantastic. The internal routing, little things like a notch on the seatpost clamp that makes it perfectly straight. A hole on the seattube so you know how far the post should be in.

The modular cable system is just great and such a good idea.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post

I just got mine. i will do a little write up after I get it built and a nice ride (D2R2 yay)

I can tell this already, the details on this frame are fantastic. The internal routing, little things like a notch on the seatpost clamp that makes it perfectly straight. A hole on the seattube so you know how far the post should be in.

The modular cable system is just great and such a good idea.

Freaking stoked for you. My friend just got the new UPPER and they are so sweet. I think if my current gravel/all-road/daily bike brakes, I will definitely be getting a new UP.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:48 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
Freaking stoked for you. My friend just got the new UPPER and they are so sweet. I think if my current gravel/all-road/daily bike brakes, I will definitely be getting a new UP.
thanks dude, super psyched too. I would have got the UPPER but was just above my budget (hell, the UP was too but I made it work). I also would have to paint the UPPER.

One of my favorite paints was the yeti one, wish I had been able to get that one
Old 07-31-2018, 10:47 AM

The new U.P. is the sweet spot in the Open line-up in having the nicer fork but not shedding frame material for the sake of a few grams. The color is also perfect.
Is yours a large or medium?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
thanks dude, super psyched too. I would have got the UPPER but was just above my budget (hell, the UP was too but I made it work). I also would have to paint the UPPER.

One of my favorite paints was the yeti one, wish I had been able to get that one

Instagram
Old 05-08-2021, 09:57 AM

Bump.
Any recent feedback on the 3T Exploro? Specifically the Pro GRX 2X?

Got a friend looking to get one.

Old 05-10-2021, 09:52 PM

3T Exploro

I have a ton of miles on my 3T Exploro Ltd over the last year and it is a great bike. I came from nice custom steel w nice feel and this bike also has nice compliance but it is very light. I have 95% road miles and then 5% varying gravel. I have the very nice stock 3T fat aero carbon 700 wheels w GP 5K 700 x 32 that match the width of the rims very well. I switch to 3T 650 wheels w 650 x Donnely 47 for gravel. This is my first SRAM Etap electronic and hydraulic discs, and they are quite nice. I don't ride my other bikes much this last year. I run 2 x gearing which is great on the road. On wet muddy gravel the space between the small chainring and the frame is very tight. I had chain suck once on muddy slushy gravel. I think 1 x gearing is the way to go if you are planning lots of gravel riding, esp wet stuff. The new Exploro Max came out after I got my bike, and it looks even cooler. I searched and reviewed and thought the Exploro was high quality and a great design 1 year ago. There are more similar aero dual purpose bikes out since then but still 3T has a good record and great reviews.

Last edited by dmurphey; 05-10-2021 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurphey View Post
I have a ton of miles on my 3T Exploro Ltd over the last year and it is a great bike. I came from nice custom steel w nice feel and this bike also has nice compliance but it is very light. I have 95% road miles and then 5% varying gravel. I have the very nice stock 3T fat aero carbon 700 wheels w GP 5K 700 x 32 that match the width of the rims very well. I switch to 3T 650 wheels w 650 x Donnely 47 for gravel. This is my first SRAM Etap electronic and hydraulic discs, and they are quite nice. I don't ride my other bikes much this last year. I run 2 x gearing which is great on the road. On wet muddy gravel the space between the small chainring and the frame is very tight. I had chain suck once on muddy slushy gravel. I think 1 x gearing is the way to go if you are planning lots of gravel riding, esp wet stuff. The new Exploro Max came out after I got my bike, and it looks even cooler. I searched and reviewed and thought the Exploro was high quality and a great design 1 year ago. There are more similar aero dual purpose bikes out since then but still 3T has a good record and great reviews.
Currently considering an exploro for a gravel bike I have an Allied Alfa for the road and a Yeti SB130 for the trails so this would be purely used on gravel. Im in the read all the reviews/opinions stage!
Old 05-17-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytramey View Post
Currently considering an exploro for a gravel bike I have an Allied Alfa for the road and a Yeti SB130 for the trails so this would be purely used on gravel. Im in the read all the reviews/opinions stage!
I'm in the review stage as well.The Exploro Race Max tops my list at current. At this point, I only hope they become available before I change my mind again. 3T and a couple of online retailers had decently specced Ekar builds that I'd be tempted to pull the trigger on.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
Looking for some real-life feedback on the 3T Exploro frameset. I know they can be polarizing, but let's put the whole "aero gravel" thing aside for a moment and let me know how you like the ride

The new flat mount version with the improved seatpost binder intrigues me...

Edit: now looking at the Open U.P. as well....

Thanks!
A friend of mine who races gravel at a high level rides an Open UP. He is training for Unbound Gravel and other ultra endurance gravel events. He really likes the Open UP. He has it set up with a Lauf Grit SL fork and aero bars.

If I were doing Carbon, I think I’d look at the Allied Able. I opted for Ti because of the durability. I’m not winning races and was more concerned about longevity.