Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2018, 03:58 AM

Have you ridden your Exploro with 700c wheels / road tires? If so, how is the feel? I have read some reports that the frame can be harsh with smaller (28c) tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZR3 View Post
I have a Cervelo S3 for an aero frame and figured I could configure the Exploro to pull double duty as an aero road frame with deep 700c wheels and a gravel bike with 650b wheels. So it’d cover two bikes and I could sell my S3 but still have an aero frame.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitpuddle View Post
That would be Gérard Vroomen. Phil White was his partner, I believe (at Cervelo, not Open/3T).
Thanks for the correction! I guess with Cervelo it was "Vroomen-White", not "Vroomen White".
Old 07-25-2018, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Aero seatpost not for me, I prefer a round seatpost so I can use the post I want. At the time post mount brakes (cool to see you now get the flat mounts). Color and aesthetics, just like the way the OPEN looks better.

That said I am sure its a great bike and I like what OPEN and 3T are doing
The impression I got from the BQ article was that the adjustments, seatpost in particular, were a bit finicky-torque wrench warnings- and he was concerned about over torqueing when he tried to eliminate a creak during the ride. It all worked out though; nothing broke. There was something about oval saddle rail clamp limiting choice of saddle but it sounds like there is also an option for round.

On the plus side, the GCN guy remarked that the squared off shape helped stabilize the saddle bag.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:20 AM

A guy I ride with has one, seems to like it well enough. However he needed some work after dirty kanza - some issue with his bottom bracket and RD I think. That part isn't unusual, every bike needs some love after kanza. But there are some proprietary parts on the 3T that have to be ordered from Italy so he waited several weeks to get the bike back.

Also apparently the RD mounting is weird.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruhlen1980 View Post
A guy I ride with has one, seems to like it well enough. However he needed some work after dirty kanza - some issue with his bottom bracket and RD I think. That part isn't unusual, every bike needs some love after kanza. But there are some proprietary parts on the 3T that have to be ordered from Italy so he waited several weeks to get the bike back.

Also apparently the RD mounting is weird.
Thanks for the input. The RD hanger is different indeed; it comes off when you take off the thru-axle. Supposed to make removing the rear wheel easier, but not sure if it works that well in practice.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
Have you ridden your Exploro with 700c wheels / road tires? If so, how is the feel? I have read some reports that the frame can be harsh with smaller (28c) tires.
I have not. I was waiting for some of the new rim profiles from either lightbike/farsports/Yoelo to come out before I bought a 700c wheelset. I’m looking at the 56mm deep 30mm external/23mm internal width tubeless rim they have, which would be strictly for road duty. I’d run a 25mm or 28mm tire and it’d stretch to over 30mm so I should be able to run nice low pressures to avoid any harshness. I run my 650b WTB 47mm Byways tubeless at 28-30psi on gravel and 42psi if it’s all paved roads and some where in between when it’s a good mix of either. At those pressures and with that much sidewall it’s too squishy to be harsh lol
Old 07-26-2018, 10:59 AM

Now looking at the Open U.P. as well; revised the original post to reflect this. Let me know if you have one and what you think, especially when riding it in a road configuration.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Now looking at the Open U.P. as well; revised the original post to reflect this. Let me know if you have one and what you think, especially when riding it in a road configuration.
I have the new OPEN UP with flat mount brakes. Best bike I have ever owned. Just buy one, you'll be happy.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:09 AM

you guys see the latest Exploro ad?

Old 07-26-2018, 11:17 AM

Do you do much road riding with it, or mostly gravel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronpass View Post
I have the new OPEN UP with flat mount brakes. Best bike I have ever owned. Just buy one, you'll be happy.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I've got an Open U.P. first gen which I'll be building up as soon as I have time away from the office.

Plan on going with:
SRAM Red Etap Hydro 2x WiFli
Easton EC70 AX Bars
Ergon CF3 Post
Enve Stem
Specialized Power Elaston Saddle
SRAM Red GXP Crank
Reynolds ATR 700 Wheels
Maxxis Rambler 40 or Panaracer Gravelking SK 38
Shimano XTR or Crank Bros Eggbeaters Pedals

Heard that the FD of Etap doesn't play well with larger tires, and going to test that out and see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZR3 View Post
I have not. I was waiting for some of the new rim profiles from either lightbike/farsports/Yoelo to come out before I bought a 700c wheelset. I’m looking at the 56mm deep 30mm external/23mm internal width tubeless rim they have, which would be strictly for road duty. I’d run a 25mm or 28mm tire and it’d stretch to over 30mm so I should be able to run nice low pressures to avoid any harshness. I run my 650b WTB 47mm Byways tubeless at 28-30psi on gravel and 42psi if it’s all paved roads and some where in between when it’s a good mix of either. At those pressures and with that much sidewall it’s too squishy to be harsh lol
The Enve ARs are very close to what you're looking for in terms of measurements (25/31/49-55 inner/outer/height), and the Reynolds ATR is very close as well (23/32/41 inner/outer/height). Right now on my ATRs I run 28mm Pro Ones which balloon to 31-32mm for road only so the interface is ideal for fast jaunts. And man is that combo FAST! I run them at 55-60psi and the ride is sublime.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
The impression I got from the BQ article was that the adjustments, seatpost in particular, were a bit finicky-torque wrench warnings- and he was concerned about over torqueing when he tried to eliminate a creak during the ride. It all worked out though; nothing broke. There was something about oval saddle rail clamp limiting choice of saddle but it sounds like there is also an option for round.

On the plus side, the GCN guy remarked that the squared off shape helped stabilize the saddle bag.
Aero seatposts seem to be a pretty big part of the overall aero equation - lots of dirty air flowing under riders' nether regions I'm guessing...
Old 07-26-2018, 01:05 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post

Apparently that has been improved on the new version, unless Jan was ridding the new version. I should take a look, I have the mag at home.

Now that we are also talking about the OPEN.

I ordered my frame a few months ago (10 weeks to be exact) and still don't have it. Not sure what is happening but OPEN has told the shop its on its way but have not provided any tracking number so I don't know when the bike will get here.

I was quoted 1 month and now its 2 and half. I need the bike for D2R2 ( really don't want to do it on my road bike) but also to do some bikepacking this fall. I am starting to think OPEN is not a good company to deal with. Hoping the bike comes by Monday or I will have to seek a different alternative (local shop has em ready available but not a fan of that shop and will have to pay tax :/)
Old 07-26-2018, 01:21 PM

Thanks for that info. I have read about some people having warranty claim related issues when dealing with OPEN; then again, people are more likely to complain than praise a company on the internet. Let us know if your frame shows up on Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Now that we are also talking about the OPEN.

I ordered my frame a few months ago (10 weeks to be exact) and still don't have it. Not sure what is happening but OPEN has told the shop its on its way but have not provided any tracking number so I don't know when the bike will get here.

I was quoted 1 month and now its 2 and half. I need the bike for D2R2 ( really don't want to do it on my road bike) but also to do some bikepacking this fall. I am starting to think OPEN is not a good company to deal with. Hoping the bike comes by Monday or I will have to seek a different alternative (local shop has em ready available but not a fan of that shop and will have to pay tax :/)
Old 07-26-2018, 01:41 PM
#RYFB

Fwiw

My only dealing with OPEN was my inquiry regarding a frame that one of their retailers was selling on eBay. (Thread here, tl;dr: FD mount broke, being sold as "1X only" with OPEN's blessing)

OPEN's endorsement of this retailer's approach left a bad taste in my mouth about them.