Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-10-2021, 04:59 PM

Zipp 303 Firecrest disc rims OR Enve 3.4 disc rims

Hi all. Wondering if someone on here can help advise?

I’m close to pulling the trigger on a custom disc wheel set. The wheels are what you might call an ‘all rounder’ or ‘everyday’ wheel set and would be shod with 28mm tyres to carry a 79kg rider (a rider that takes very good care of their kit). Use would be for on tarmac only.

After a lot of reading and trying out a few carbon disc wheel sets (Enve, Zipp, Lightbicycle and Reynolds) I think I've narrowed my choice down to either Zipp 303 Firecrest laced to Chris King R45d hubs or Enve 3.4 again on CK R45d hubs.

From a bit of reading I can see this has been asked several times but the discussions are usually comparing the Zipp and Enve wheels as a whole package (so Zipp rims and hubs versus Enve’s laced to CK or DT Swiss, etc).

FWIW my wife has a set of Enve 3.4/CK disc wheels and during the couple of times I’ve ridden them, I always felt that the rear wheel felt a bit flexy. She’s a little over 120lbs so probably doesn’t notice, but to me, comparing them with carbon rim brake wheels I’ve ridden, it felt like there was movement at the rim.

So with that said if I were to opt for the Enve 3.4 build I was hoping using Sapim CX-Sprints on the drive side might help with this.

At the moment I’m leaning towards the Firecrest 303 disc rims as I’ve heard they might be a little stiffer then the Enve 3.4 (but forgive me if I’m totally wrong on this). I know Enve have very good warranty system in place with their wheels but I’d rather focus on how well the final wheel build performs and let that be the deciding factor not warranty.

Any real world feedback on the Zipp 303 disc rim vs Enve 3.4 rims would be very welcome.
Old 05-10-2021, 05:34 PM

Which 3.4 rims are looking at, AR or SES? AR are hookless while SES are with hooks. AR are optimized for 28c tires while SES are for 25c. I am 185lbs and neither rim flexes under me.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:28 PM

Very different rims. One is 25mm internal and tubeless only, the other is 21mm is tubeless ready. You're right that Zipp rims are generally stiffer, Enve generally more compliant (and to some, flexy). The warranties are actually the same now, Zipp stepped up a lot last year. They're both awesome rims with great warranties, I loved everything about my 3.4's. I would however consider different hubs, maybe DT or White Ind. I don't think CK brings anything to the table for the price.
Old 05-11-2021, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poff View Post
Which 3.4 rims are looking at, AR or SES? AR are hookless while SES are with hooks. AR are optimized for 28c tires while SES are for 25c. I am 185lbs and neither rim flexes under me.
I should have included that. Sorry. If I choose the Enve 3.4 it would be the SES model not AR. Clincher tyres would be 25-28mm width with butyl tubes (so not a tubeless set up).
Old 05-11-2021, 06:44 AM
Proud Grandpa

You can't get or send PMs yet so give me an email shout..just want to mention something about carbon rims.

cp51errc@gmail.com

Ah, right below..

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 05-11-2021 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:13 AM

Bang for your buck

With disc wheels, i think the best bang for your buck is going with a set like BTLOS or Light Bicycle. I've got a set of BTLOS on the way, 40mm gravel disc rims, laced to DT 240s EXP. Should weigh in around 1400g and be a great all around disc set. I'm planning to mainly run this set with 28-35mm tires. As braking is not an issue with disc brakes, i think that's the best bang , but understand you likely want to go the name brand route... can get that setup for under a grand, shipped to you... (I would be more hesitant buying non name brand rims for rim brakes, as my Campy Bora WTOs are the best braking carbon rims i've tried)

In any event, if you're going with discs and running tubes, definitely run latex... swapped all my disc wheels over this year and much lighter and the feel is much nicer that the old butyl tubes... no issues with latex and discs on carbon (latex on carbon rims brakes can be a no no).

Anyways, just my two cents...
Old 05-11-2021, 01:18 PM

Just got my BTLOS WGX50 mounted up last night. Looking forward to comparing to the Giant SLR1 42mm wheels they replaced. Very similar in weight, but the WGX are much wider.

25mm GP5k mic'd at 28.7mm wide at 95PSI on the WGX rims.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven21 View Post
I should have included that. Sorry. If I choose the Enve 3.4 it would be the SES model not AR. Clincher tyres would be 25-28mm width with butyl tubes (so not a tubeless set up).
I am not going back to hooks, AR are much better, I have them paired with enve 29 tires, they are a great pair. Just slide the tire bids into the rim's middle channel, and then use a regular pump to inflate it. Put some orange goo, and go for a ride.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy337 View Post
With disc wheels, i think the best bang for your buck is going with a set like BTLOS or Light Bicycle. I've got a set of BTLOS on the way, 40mm gravel disc rims, laced to DT 240s EXP. Should weigh in around 1400g and be a great all around disc set. I'm planning to mainly run this set with 28-35mm tires. As braking is not an issue with disc brakes, i think that's the best bang , but understand you likely want to go the name brand route... can get that setup for under a grand, shipped to you... (I would be more hesitant buying non name brand rims for rim brakes, as my Campy Bora WTOs are the best braking carbon rims i've tried)

In any event, if you're going with discs and running tubes, definitely run latex... swapped all my disc wheels over this year and much lighter and the feel is much nicer that the old butyl tubes... no issues with latex and discs on carbon (latex on carbon rims brakes can be a no no).

So, better to avoid BTLOS or Light if going with rim brakes?
Old 05-12-2021, 07:41 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000m2 View Post
So, better to avoid BTLOS or Light if going with rim brakes?
I would say no. The majority of the BTLOS based wheels I have built have been rim brake and if they had some issue, I'm sure I would have heard about it.
Old 05-12-2021, 07:52 AM

+1 on something other than CK hubs. WI would be my choice all day every day. CK are great but for the money I don’t get it unless ur in it for the bling factor or buzz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2021, 04:17 PM

Thanks for the tip guys. I'll definately look into the BTLOS productd. I've tried out a set of the older 'Light Bicycle' wheels that were lent to me by a club buddy. I was pretty impressed but back then they didn't offer a warranty (apparently).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy337 View Post

Old 05-12-2021, 04:21 PM

**double post**

Last edited by Eleven21; 05-12-2021 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-12-2021, 04:23 PM

If I were to buy hubs now, since the massive price hikes, then yes I agree I wouldn't pay the extra for CK hubs. WI or the older DT 240 hubs would proably be my choice. I'm already invested in the CK hubs, and have the R45 tool, so I plan to stick with those hubs.

I keep all of our kit cycling kit well maintained and actually enjoy spending time in the workshop looking after our bikes (i.e. servicing hubs and bearings, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
+1 on something other than CK hubs. WI would be my choice all day every day. CK are great but for the money I don’t get it unless ur in it for the bling factor or buzz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2021, 04:31 PM

Enve is more bling IMO