Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-09-2021, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velobaba View Post
I have never used Uber or Lyft rides so far. But I am now considering signing up for the Uber or Lyft app so I can call up a ride if I am stuck somewhere with my bike.

Has anyone used Uber or Lyft in such a situation where you are stuck with your bike and need a ride back to your home or car? How does it work? Do you have to request a specific vehicle which will have bike rack or enough room for a bike?

Thanks,
Jalal
Done this many times (bonks/flats) in Singapore with the uber-equivalent here. Cabs are more picky, though ymmv as it may be cultural.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:43 AM

Myself and riding pals have all used XL a few times the past couple of years.

Def. saved the day each time!
Old 05-09-2021, 10:11 AM

Carry a mask in your saddlebag. Uber/Lyft Driver can refuse to take you without one.
As said AAA has a bike program in some states.
https://northeast.aaa.com/membership...-coverage.html
I have AAA and also Better World Club (bike plan only)
https://www.betterworldclub.net/nati...ide-assistance
Old 05-10-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonaBP View Post
A guy in my club once called AAA when he had a mechanical while on a solo ride. He was a member and called and explained his situation and they dispatched a truck. When the flatbed arrived he thought he had a motorcycle and laughed as he strapped his bike down. He then took a picture of the strapped bike, because nobody would believe him.....

AAA-New England offers this as a benefit. The drive you and your bike home part that is, not necessarily the fancy strapping job.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:44 PM

With 5c worth of luck Uber will be out of business by the end of the year.
Old 04-08-2022, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Around here there are enough willing folks with pick-up trucks, and I'm far enough out in the boondocks (away from city things like Uber) that it's easier to just stand by the side of the road looking like you need help.
I and my friend usually go biking in the mountains. He has a truck with which he transports bikes. He purchased a truck bike rack by this review recommendation https://rackadvisor.org/best-truck-bed-bike-rack/. This helps keep bikes safe.
Old 04-08-2022, 06:54 AM

I've used Uber a few times. I always state up front on the messaging that I have a bicycle. Two pick-ups were amazing... great drivers and wanted to chat about bikes and pro cycling.

One pick up, I messaged I had a bicycle (broken spoke so couldn't ride at all). Guy shows up in a minivan. He gets out, sees my bike and tells me point blank he can't take my bike in his minivan. This is at 7 a.m. on a Sunday.

I say can't or won't? He said he won't cuz he doesn't want to get the inside of his van dirty. I told him my bike is cleaner than the inside of his van and if anything, I'm more worried about dirt from his interior making MY bike dirty (yes, i was pissed at this point). He said no deal. I asked, 'so you're just going to leave me stranded here?' he says, 'yup' and gets in. I fired off a round of expletives and gestures.

Summon another Uber, shows up 15 min later, no issue. Swap wheelsets, start ride again without incident.

Upon my return, contact uber (after I gave that driver a crap review) and Uber apologized profusely, said they'd have a word with the driver, refunded the charge from that first incident AND refunded the drive I actually got home.

I have also used CAA when I've been far enough out in the country that Uber isn't available.
Old 04-08-2022, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velobaba View Post
I have never used Uber or Lyft rides so far. But I am now considering signing up for the Uber or Lyft app so I can call up a ride if I am stuck somewhere with my bike.

Has anyone used Uber or Lyft in such a situation where you are stuck with your bike and need a ride back to your home or car? How does it work? Do you have to request a specific vehicle which will have bike rack or enough room for a bike?

Thanks,
Jalal
I have. I just take the wheels off and then easy to fit the bike/wheels in the trunk of any sedan or small SUV I have used to date.
Old 04-08-2022, 11:47 AM

The last I checked AAA in Florida would pickup the bike but not the rider because of COVID. Could have changed by now.
Old 04-09-2022, 07:56 AM
Huffing Mastik

I've Ubered home twice, once with a tubular flat that wouldn't seal, once when I shattered a rim on a pothole. Standard rates, standard cars. Tipped well. Both times did message driver ahead of time that I was a stranded cyclist with bike just in case it would raise any concerns. Both times were in relatively rural areas so there was a moderate wait.

I am a AAA member. You need to have the upgraded membership level for cycling benefits, not covered in basic membership. I recently upgraded for other reasons. Hopefully will not have to try it out.
Old 04-09-2022, 07:57 AM
Huffing Mastik

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmike View Post
The last I checked AAA in Florida would pickup the bike but not the rider because of COVID. Could have changed by now.
Changed. I recently used AAA for a car issue. They now allow motorist to ride in vehicle with tow driver.
Old 04-09-2022, 05:06 PM

Bike assistance is included with my Triple A - catch is that it is only free for the first 10 miles of transit - after that milage rates apply.
Old 04-09-2022, 05:43 PM

Got an Uber off the top of Latigo in LA 2 years ago. Uber driver was cute and she gave me her number. Was NOT expecting that.
Old 04-09-2022, 06:26 PM

Your phone has to work.
Old 04-09-2022, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlfoss View Post
Got an Uber off the top of Latigo in LA 2 years ago. Uber driver was cute and she gave me her number. Was NOT expecting that.
You can’t leave us hanging after that with no details!!

I’ve had send them twice: once when I snapped a chain and didn’t have a chaintool (had him take me to Mellow Johnny’s Fort Worth to buy a quick link and finished my ride) and another after I flatted 2x and had no patches left.

To save a few bucks you can request a ride and see who gets assigned….if the car isn’t big enough (I looked for SUV or minivan since I’m a 62cm frame) just cancel the ride quickly and rebook. Or you can just pony up the extra $$ for an Uber XL.