Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2018, 12:47 PM

Carbon bike

Ok I am thinking about buying my first carbon bike. Currently I have a steel Peg and Spectrum Ti road bikes that I really enjoy but would like to try a nice carbon all road bike. Who here has made the switch to carbon and is happy with their decision? What carbon bike did you buy? If you did purchase a carbon bike and didn't like it please tell me what you didn't like. I am open minded and willing to hear from experienced riders who finally went to a carbon bike.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:53 PM

I have owned many carbon and non-carbon. Like anything, there's almost no difference as long as the tire pressure and tires are the same, and everything is quiet and put together well. The same way blindfolded (and set up similarly) you couldn't tell a Richard Sachs from a Motobecane, it will be the same among carbon bikes. So it's just more about your aesthetic taste. I like the looks of the Trek Emonda and Scott Addict personally, and love optimizing for weight because it's fun, not because it makes any practical difference.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:56 PM
aka RAEKWON

I still have a steel bike but have 2 carbon bikes now. I bought a parlee z5 and its just so good, probably one of the best bikes I ever been on. That is what made my decision to go carbon for the next gravel bike and now have an OPEN.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:04 PM

R3 I have been hearing some good things about carbon lately from steel and ti lovers so I want to carefully check it out before making the final decision. Your experience is very positive coming from a steel bike.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:04 PM

Carbon

I have Carbon, Alloy, and Steel. The Carbon bike is best in fast group rides and days with lots of climbing. I can sense the weight difference on the metal bikes, the alloy less but the steel bike has a great all-day ride quality.

Today, all bikes are good, I think that having all types gives you choices.

If you can afford it, do it.

Ray
Old 08-16-2018, 01:07 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob heinatz View Post
R3 I have been hearing some good things about carbon lately from steel and ti lovers so I want to carefully check it out before making the final decision. Your experience is very positive coming from a steel bike.
I thought I was going to hate it but I just really like it. I definitely want to put more miles on the OPEN but the Parlee is just fantastic. Very comfortable and it wants to go. I think that, if that bike fit 28mm tires, it would be my favorite bike I have ever had. It competes for time with my English which is also excellent but trust me, it would be very hard to pick between those 2.

Maybe a friend or someone local can let you try a carbon bike? Maybe a bike shop? Try one of those new treks or specializeds, I have heard really good things about them
Old 08-16-2018, 01:09 PM

Carbon bike

I’ve bikes of all materials. There are differences in ride feel and stiffness, and your preference will be personal like picking a saddle. Part of it comes from the material, tube shape and diameter, geometry, etc.

My own experience with carbon dates back to the early 90s and my fav carbon bike is Parlee. For me, it has a nice blend of stiffness of out of saddle climbing (I like to power over the rollers) and compliance for shock absorption.

I currently own two Parlees (a Z1 and Z5) - I don’t think I will get another carbon bike other than a Parlee (ok, may be a Crumpton). I had a Z4 (to get the next size down) and sold it to a friend who had a Giant carbon. He loves the Z4 and has it outfitted with eTap and Enve wheels.

I still own a titanium road bike (Eriksen) and two gravelers (Seven titanium and carbon Trek Boone). I like the change in feel of their rides.

Until recently I had a Sachs steel but sold it to get something a bit smaller in size and stiffer (new steel to be determined but thinking about a DeSalvo).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by veloduffer; 08-16-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:18 PM
Picshooter

Carbon, specifically Look 585's convinced me to sell my custom steel (Strong) and Ti (Moots) and not look back
The 585 fits me as good as anything I have owned, and the ride is excellent.

I wasn't looking for another bike when a like new Fuji Altamira landed on my doorstep. It built into a nice bike, the lightest and stiffest bike I have ridden. If I were forced to only have one I would be happy with either. But if I could choose I would pick the 585 every time.

In my opinion the price of new bikes is crazy. I bought all of mine used after doing my research, asking plenty of questions, and looking at a lot of photos.
There are some good deals to be had if you are patient or do a WTB.

Good luck, have fun.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:20 PM

Thanks keep them coming.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:24 PM

This is a tough thread to follow for those of us who don't fit anything stock and, thus, will likely never have the opportunity to try a CF bike or be able to afford a custom.

Last edited by donevwil; 08-16-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:37 PM

Sarto

Sarto. Research the company and you will be impressed. For example, pez cycling has several reviews. You can get good deals on ebay.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:41 PM

The nice thing about carbon bikes is that every shop has a few, so obviously go test ride. I have a custom steel Spectrum which in most ways is my benchmark as it was made and fitted for me with Tom's fit and design expertise. So in the most important ways, nothing will be "better". However, I also have an "older" 2011ish stock carbon Cyfac that I've more or less replicated the Spectrum position points so it fits well and I love to ride it as well, not better or worse, just a different experience. The handling is more aggressive than Tom's signature neutral feel, and obviously the 5lb weight difference can be perceived, especially out of the saddle or on a steep climb- some of this weight is in the components where I didn't worry too much- more or less 5800/6800 on the Spectrum mix vs 6800/9000 on the Cyfac, with lighter Dura Ace C24 wheels vs 28/32h Pacenti/White Ind handbuilts. So it's kind of apples to oranges comparison, but for me a carbon bike like my Cyfac invites a little weight weenyism as it's what I choose for aggressive group and go-fast rides which I could certainly do on the Spectrum, but they're more fun with a lighter, more racy-feeling bike. Most of the time I prefer nice cold brewed loose leaf Assam ice tea with a lemon wedge. And sometimes it's good to just chug a Red Bull. Know what I'm sayin'? If I were looking at a new carbon bike where budget wasn't first concern, I'd try a bunch of superbikes and their somewhat downmarket siblings in the high end shops, then maybe give a call to Crumpton, Hampsten and Gaulzetti and see what they suggest for custom. If cost weren't a concern, I'd put a custom Cyfac high on the list as well and plan a trip to the Loire valley for a fitting. My living will has only one separate bike line item for the Spectrum though ( a modest income cycling buddy who fits a 56cm, he doesn't know it ) It's my only definite forever keeper bike.

Last edited by zennmotion; 08-16-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:52 PM
Classics Fan

If I were looking at carbon, I'd think very hard about what my expectations were. For one, I get the feeling that carbon depreciates like a rock -- especially the big brand companies. I'm not sure that I'd want to spend top dollar on it.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:53 PM
Administrator

it's all about finding a bike that allows you go achieve the fit numbers you want and be reasonably well dialed with those fit numbers. meaning correct fit with a 90 - 130mm stem, a few spacers and reasonable amount of seatpost showing with correct setback.

i rent bikes all the time these days since i travel so much. modern carbon is so good right now it's hard to go wrong if the fit is good for you.

this tarmac i rented recently was so good that i'd be happy to have it as my only bike.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
If I were looking at carbon, I'd think very hard about what my expectations were. For one, I get the feeling that carbon depreciates like a rock -- especially the big brand companies. I'm not sure that I'd want to spend top dollar on it.
Heh. True. I got the Cyfac frameset in here for a fraction of the original cost as it was already somewhat "dated" at 5 yrs old. I think buying the newest latest greatest is like buying an expensive laptop.