Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2018, 12:42 PM
Ex-Mr.President

etap questions on compatibility

I am contemplating putting etap on a bike as it is not set up for any wired e-group. etap would work best not having to use zip ties.

It currently has a SRAM red 10 speed crankset. I have red that using a 10- speed crankset isn't a problem as long as you use an 11 speed chain. Ok so no issues, great.

now has or is anyone using etap (which is 11 speed only right) with a 10 speed crankset? oh it is a 2 by 10 not a single chainring.

if you are running this, how is it working for you? Any hiccups or things I would need to get in addition to the etap stuff to work with a double chainring 10 speed crankset?

thanks

I searched for this so if it has been covered can someone post the link so I can red more?

please and thank you.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:56 PM

Compact or standard? The 10 spd part isn't a problem, but some folks have had issues with brazed hangers and compact setups. Etap is really finicky about fd alignment and height.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:57 PM
aka RAEKWON

you should be totally fine with 10 speed crank on 11 speed. I have etap, front shift is finicky but once setup properly it shifts ok.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:18 PM
Ex-Mr.President

i have used Ultegra Di2 once and it set up (front derailleur) fairly simply. I have read SOME folks have issues with the front mech on etap.

I should probably just youtube it, but what is the "issue" with the front mech on etap? The crankset I am using is a SRAM red cross crankset. 46/36 rings
Old 08-16-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
i have used Ultegra Di2 once and it set up (front derailleur) fairly simply. I have read SOME folks have issues with the front mech on etap.

I should probably just youtube it, but what is the "issue" with the front mech on etap? The crankset I am using is a SRAM red cross crankset. 46/36 rings
I don't know what kind of problems other people are having with eTap front shifting. Well, actually I have never had a problem with ANY SRAM front shifting.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:56 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
I don't know what kind of problems other people are having with eTap front shifting. Well, actually I have never had a problem with ANY SRAM front shifting.
the main problem is getting the FD to not undershift or overshift. You shift and if not setup properly it will either not shift to the ring or overshift and cause the chain to go out of the FD. Its possible to set it up properly but takes some time and patience.

A lot of people have the problem
Old 08-16-2018, 04:14 PM

I don't get it on the Etap FD setup. Last summer I installed etap on a neilpryde bura sl and the shifting was flawless (and really easy). When I got a new bike I switched everything over, had to adjust a bit but that took all of 5 minutes. No issues. Installed another etap group on another bike and again, no issues.

I believe sram has a compatibility chart for various dimensions and chainstay lengths. Maybe I just haven't run into one of the problem frames.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:02 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeth1313 View Post
I don't get it on the Etap FD setup. Last summer I installed etap on a neilpryde bura sl and the shifting was flawless (and really easy). When I got a new bike I switched everything over, had to adjust a bit but that took all of 5 minutes. No issues. Installed another etap group on another bike and again, no issues.

I believe sram has a compatibility chart for various dimensions and chainstay lengths. Maybe I just haven't run into one of the problem frames.
you have got lucky, tons of people have reported some problem here and there. Either that or you are just amazing at setting etap up
Old 08-16-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
you have got lucky, tons of people have reported some problem here and there. Either that or you are just amazing at setting etap up
A lot of people really suck at bike mechanic skills. I have seen it for 40 years. I see it on the answers on this board. The setup marks on eTap (and all SRAM) are marked on the front derailleur itself. It's not a sticker like on Shimano. It's not hard.
If people suck at setting up the low stop, you can even mount the anti drop device on eTap they made for the ham handed (to use on the) mechanical groups.

Last edited by bikinchris; 08-16-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:49 PM
aka RAEKWON

we all need to strive to be better mechanics like bikinchris

Last edited by R3awak3n; 08-16-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:51 PM
aka RAEKWON

nevermind

Last edited by R3awak3n; 08-16-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:10 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
I have red that using a 10- speed crankset isn't a problem as long as you use an 11 speed chain.
I was told by a reputable dealer [] that eTap requires SRAM's "22-series" cranksets* due to chainring spacing. Not sure whether SRAM 10-speed cranks/chainrings are any closer, but Shimano 10-speed cranks/chainrings definitely would not work.

*Doesn't have to be Red 22, can be Force 22 ...which is what I did.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:22 PM

You should get some 11 speed chainrings for your 10s crank.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
we all need to strive to be better mechanics like bikinchris
That wasn't my point. People talk **** about stuff they know little about. "I heard that SRAM doesn't do this well." is a bunch of crap. If you have seen it and done it, fine. If you learned from it, great. If you didn't, go back and teach yourself. Today, there are resources to learn how to do things right. I spend a little time every night working on my mechanical knowledge. I am NOT perfect and far from it. But passing along rumors doesn't do anyone any good.

For instance, I spent a long time tonight trying to get better at setting up the long arm Shimano front derailleur.

In other words, I strive to be a better mechanic for my customers daily.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:04 AM

I watched a few videos re the setup before attemping and it went fine. Some fine tuning after a shakedown ride and haven't touched it since. The rear shifting i did mostly on intuition.

Re the op, ive used 10sp cranks just fine with 11sp on 2 bikes. One bike no problem. Other had the 11sp chain rub the little shift nob/ramp thing on the big ring when small/small. Its more of a noisy reminder not to stay in that combo than anything else. I chalk that up to differences in chainline.