Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Old 07-11-2018, 08:40 PM

Smile 56th Marin Century Aug 4th 2018 San Rafael CA

The 56th Marin Century offers six fully supported routes ranging from 30-200 miles. The event attracts 2500 riders from the San Francisco Bay area and over 20 states. Riders receive a waterproof course map and are aided on course by Route Arrows & signage, course marshals, CHP at critical locations and two uphill lane closures. Parts of the course go up to Mt Tam State Park and up the coast to Coleman Valley Rd near Occidental. Great road and views!

The event includes breakfast snacks and a large assortment of pastries, fresh fruit, energy bars & drinks at the rest stops. The post ride event includes award winning BBQ, wood oven fired pizza prepared on-site by Firetrail Pizza (gluten free crust option), burritos (including vegetarian), a large assortment of drinks including chocolate milk and Hint. For dessert we have Fiorello’s Artisan Gelato, dairy free frozen fruit, live music and an expo.
Great Ride .........More info marincylists.com/RideInfo
Old 07-15-2018, 09:28 PM

Anyone riding the Marin Century? I have a discount rider code RIDER18 for you. I will be at event assisting with SAG support.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:26 PM

thank you for sharing this! I may try to attend. Is there a deadline to register? I can't seem to find that info on the website.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:31 PM

Registration Close Date for Marin Century 2018

On line registration will close on Wednesday August 1 at noon.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:52 PM

thanks for the info!
Old 07-19-2018, 05:59 PM

I'll be riding the MTDC, one of my favorite doubles, only downside for me is that some of the middle rest stops are shared with the shorter routes making it a little hectic trying to get in and out quickly amidst a mob of riders.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smead View Post
I'll be riding the MTDC, one of my favorite doubles, only downside for me is that some of the middle rest stops are shared with the shorter routes making it a little hectic trying to get in and out quickly amidst a mob of riders.
Hi, Yes that can be a problem if you are riding for time on our double being the 3rd Stage of California Triple Crown Stage Race. For me on large double century events... there can be a line for restroom , filling water bottles, and food. Then time to add sunscreen & butt butter... There are times I have some food in my pocket and be eating while waiting in line. Some riders can get in and out of a rest stop in 5 minutes.. Usually takes me 10+ minutes...
Old 07-19-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemondvictoire View Post
Hi, Yes that can be a problem if you are riding for time on our double being the 3rd Stage of California Triple Crown Stage Race. For me on large double century events... there can be a line for restroom , filling water bottles, and food. Then time to add sunscreen & butt butter... There are times I have some food in my pocket and be eating while waiting in line. Some riders can get in and out of a rest stop in 5 minutes.. Usually takes me 10+ minutes...
There's a simple solution that I've suggested to the ride director in the past, and will do so again this year - make sure the number takers are at the entry of rest stops so riders skipping those stops can just yell out their number as they roll by. Then put the double century table (with the hammer stuff) right at the entrance with water so those racing that do stop can get in and out quick. In prior years (even stage race years), the number taker has been sitting at the double table which was set up at the very back of the rest stop.., then there's a line 10 deep to get water. Those kind of stops can mean the difference between a 1 min stop vs. a 10 min headache.

Other than that, I love this ride
Old 07-20-2018, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smead View Post
There's a simple solution that I've suggested to the ride director in the past, and will do so again this year - make sure the number takers are at the entry of rest stops so riders skipping those stops can just yell out their number as they roll by. Then put the double century table (with the hammer stuff) right at the entrance with water so those racing that do stop can get in and out quick. In prior years (even stage race years), the number taker has been sitting at the double table which was set up at the very back of the rest stop.., then there's a line 10 deep to get water. Those kind of stops can mean the difference between a 1 min stop vs. a 10 min headache.

Other than that, I love this ride
Just a few years ago the ride a record number of riders with nearly 3000 riders total , that included 300 double century riders. With up to 9 rest stops on the course it was a monumental effort on all the volunteers that year.. This year's ridership will be lower with a 200 rider limit on the double century and estimated total of 2000 to 2400 riders for the 6 different routes. New this year on the century are RFID tags on the helmets to read the riders times and ID their photos on the ride taken by PhotoCrazy.

All centuries that I did this year had lower turnout of riders than previous years.... guess cycling is trending down...
Old 07-20-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemondvictoire View Post
Just a few years ago the ride a record number of riders with nearly 3000 riders total , that included 300 double century riders. With up to 9 rest stops on the course it was a monumental effort on all the volunteers that year.. This year's ridership will be lower with a 200 rider limit on the double century and estimated total of 2000 to 2400 riders for the 6 different routes. New this year on the century are RFID tags on the helmets to read the riders times and ID their photos on the ride taken by PhotoCrazy.

All centuries that I did this year had lower turnout of riders than previous years.... guess cycling is trending down...

At rest stops we started to have special food tables just for the double century riders. Since 2011 we increased the number of portable toilets over 70% on a per rider basis and this year with 1/3 less riders we still have more portable toilets than when we had 3000 riders. Wait times should be less this year....
Old 08-06-2018, 11:17 PM

Great Event and video of the Mt Tam Double Century here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um1NLXQDa-E
Drone video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUYq3T8amVU

Last edited by lemondvictoire; 08-12-2018 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Added video link
Old 08-24-2018, 12:50 PM

Rode the workers version ride of the Mt Tam...reroute due to permit problems = 17K of elevation..about 1k more than last year Original route over 10 years ago only had 15k . Ready to ride Carmel Double Century this Saturday only 14K of elevation. Anyone going?
Old 08-24-2018, 01:51 PM

I signed up for CVDC last month as a respite from the Nor CA smoky skies. Central CA and coast has had good air compared to up north. Then last night a low parked itself down in So CA and is pulling all the smoke down the central coast. PM 2.5 AQI is orange to red over the entire route. Can't win! I'm hoping it gets a little better tomorrow, but I suspect it'll be soupy. I'm bringing 2 N95 masks, rolling at 6am and we'll see how it looks. If you see a classic blue steel Fondriest with a masked pilot, that's me.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:10 PM

Be riding Serotta IT and be starting by 5am.. I'm little slow...
Old 09-02-2018, 01:32 AM

Talking

Congrats to all that rode the California Triple Crown Double Century Stage Race. Especially our own Smead with a fast 3rd place finish ! I met him last week on the Carmel Valley Double at an early morning rest stop! I can't comprehend how fast these riders can ride a double century. I'm aways 3+ hrs behind the elite finishers... Website link of the results are here: http://www.caltriplecrown.org/2018/2...2=Time&ClubID=

Last edited by lemondvictoire; 09-02-2018 at 01:54 AM.