Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-08-2018, 11:19 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
I don’t think that’s a valid analogy...
It was a joke.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:27 AM

my best amazing sub 1500 g set is Boyd altamont lites on i9 hubs. 24/28. they are amazing, stiff, light, bunny hoppable, crash proof, and fast as hell. and they look dope.
[IMG]Lunch date by Matt.zilliox, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 08-08-2018, 11:35 AM

I have a set of Kinlin xr26t wheels that I built up with cx rays everywhere 28/24 with BHS hubs and alloy nipples. Have about 6000 miles on them. We have some rather poor roads around here and I am not gentle on them. I weigh around 175lbs ready to ride. They are less than 1500grams and (knock on wood) I have not had to touch them up at all. I love building wheels, and that set cost me about $350, I think I would have a hard time finding a wheelset to that spec for that kind of price.

Here they are sitting on a recent build

Jake

Last edited by junkfood; 08-08-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkfood View Post
I have a set of Kinlin xr26t wheels that I built up with cx rays everywhere 28/24 with BHS hubs and alloy nipples. Have about 6000 miles on them. We have some rather poor roads around here and I am not gentle on them. They are less than 1500grams and (knock on wood) I have not had to touch them up at all. I love building wheels, and that set cost me about $350, I think I would have a hard time finding a wheelset to that spec for that kind of price.

Here they are sitting on a recent build

Jake
I have a similar build, but with Archetype rims, and weigh well over 200 pounds. 24/28 CX-Rays on Bitex/BHS hubs. They have been a dream! I'd imagine it would be pretty easy to drop the spoke count for a smaller rider.

Old 08-08-2018, 12:03 PM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
my best amazing sub 1500 g set is Boyd altamont lites on i9 hubs. 24/28. they are amazing, stiff, light, bunny hoppable, crash proof, and fast as hell. and they look dope.
Sure do!
Old 08-08-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
[IMG]Lunch date by Matt.zilliox, on Flickr[/IMG]
Great looking bike and wheels!

Have two questions: how wide and tall are the tires (e.g. 25mm) once mounted to these Boyd Altamont lite? And how durable is the 'ceramic' coating on the brake track? I'm also looking at DT Swiss PR 1400 DiCut OXIC, the same stealth look and supposedly the coating on the brake track is quite durable. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Great looking bike and wheels!

Have two questions: how wide and tall are the tires (e.g. 25mm) once mounted to these Boyd Altamont lite? And how durable is the 'ceramic' coating on the brake track? I'm also looking at DT Swiss PR 1400 DiCut OXIC, the same stealth look and supposedly the coating on the brake track is quite durable. Thanks!
i dont know, i have 32s on mine, i dont bother measuring how wide they actually are, its not like that changes anything...

coating has been fine so far, i dont even use special brake pads because i haven't felt the need and i swap between these slicks and knobbies. of course ive never had problems with brakes, or brake tracks, or stopping, on any bike with any wheels. so take it for whats thats worth. the bonus for me is they are same width as my Hed Belgiums plus i run also, so no need to adjust anything when i swap wheels.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:42 PM

I love the Wheelbuilder.com wheel weight calculator:

http://www.wheelbuilder.com/wheel-we...alculator.html

Select the rims, spoke count, hubs, spokes, nips etc to get a pretty accurate weight.

maybe this is common knowledge here, but I just discovered it..
Old 08-08-2018, 02:47 PM
commuter racer

When I weighed my worn out open pro's laced to silver record hubs with silver hubs the weight was around 1500. They were sweet wheels!
Old 08-15-2018, 06:58 AM
Administrator

parts in.

just need to grab a good bottle of scotch and find some time to hunker down in the basement and build now. i'm betting i hit pretty close to the 1500g goal mark. i won't weigh em till they're built tho.

Last edited by AngryScientist; 08-15-2018 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:21 AM

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.edit: My wheels as now (older photo does not have black spokes blue nipples) : interloc cadence nobium (were in the stash), Zipp hubs, dt swiss bladed spokes in black, blue nipples to match frame paint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4775.jpg (141.3 KB, 165 views)

Last edited by merckxman; 08-15-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
parts in.

just need to grab a good bottle of scotch and find some time to hunker down in the basement and build now. i'm betting i hit pretty close to the 1500g goal mark. i won't weigh em till they're built tho.

looks good, what rims are those?
Old 08-15-2018, 10:38 AM

Are the Boyd Altamounts and H+Son Archetypes considered fairly similar rims these days?
Old 08-17-2018, 05:51 AM
ZhugeLiang

I was thinking of the same thing, to see if I can "lighten up" my gravel bikes with a lighter set of wheels. In the end, I weigh the cost and the benefit, just couldn't bring myself to pay the extra premium, revert back to poor man's build.

Been dragging my feet on building this up for a few weeks, hopefully will get the motivation and the time to line up in the next week or two.
Got several sets of 700cc disc wheels, but only one set of 650b disc, want to at least build an extra set.

It won't be light, that's for sure....but it will get the job.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:19 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylercheung View Post
Are the Boyd Altamounts and H+Son Archetypes considered fairly similar rims these days?
Not really.