Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob heinatz View Post
Isn't it great we have choices in frame material. Everyone can ride their favorite material and be happy.
Exactly.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:24 PM

Agree. Good bikes can be made out of any suitable material. I like carbon, your mileage may vary. Ride your favorite and be happy.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:57 PM

Here is my experience, which is very limited. I have had only steel bike until I acquired a custom Ti/Carbon a few years ago. I like the smooth ride that soaks up most of the rough roads that I usually ride. The Ti/Carbon bike -- an Exogrid -- is very comfortable, easy to keep clean, and I just don't worry about it on fast descents.

Then, I did the thing I thought I would NEVER do and acquired an all carbon bike from the same maker of the exogrid. Both bikes have essentially the same geometry and the parts or mostly the same. I switch the wheels when riding either bike, so I think I have some basis for comparison of the two. How much difference is there? Some, but it would be hard for me to choose one over the other.

The carbon bike is lighter and I perceive that it climbs faster and it tends to "float" over the road while the Exogrid soaks up the bumps and is plenty comfy. One riding buddy commented that he thinks I am much faster on descents with the carbon bike than the Exogrid and that overall I ride faster on the carbon bike. Well, maybe that is just the weight difference or maybe there is some difference in power transfer.

I like the comfy ride of my Ti bike and the low maintenance. Not that the carbon bike takes any more, but I can buff out a scratch on the ti, but that may not be the case with the carbon bike. As it is, I clean it off with soap and water after each ride then finish it off with some lemon pledge. With the exogrid, I wipe it down with a damp cloth then use some ZEP stainless steel cleaner to finish it off.

I don't see one bike as riding better than the other, they are just different and that difference is enjoyable for my riding. The other day I rode one of the new BMC TeamMachines and I thought that was a pretty nice off the shelf bike ....
Old 08-24-2018, 07:39 PM
ZhugeLiang

Bob pal, if this fits you, I would jump on it!

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...47#post2415947