Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2018, 07:03 PM
needs adult supervision

Austin pals, please be safe

It can’t be easy just going about your day and lives. Thinking of you and hoping you’re all safe. And that the authorities break the case soon.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:29 PM

Yeah, hopefully they get this POS soon. Be safe out there!
Old 03-20-2018, 07:33 PM

Honestly, I don't even think about it. Got stuff to do. He'll slip up and get caught soon enough.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2018, 09:55 PM

Was hoping we could avoid it, but Sunday night was in the backyard working on a Pinewood Derby car with my son when we heard the "BOOM". At first thought I figured it was a transformer exploding, but given the timing, I knew what it was....wound up being stuck in the house all day Monday as they locked down the entire neighborhood. Don't personally know the kids/family, but have many friends on the street who do. One was riding his bike in the street, the other walking on the sidewalk. I don't ride on that street as it's just a cul-de-sac, but I do ride the loop around the area. I use the same FedEx where he shipped 2 of the devices to ship my bike stuff....was just in there a week or so ago dropping wheels and a bike.

Hoping they catch him or at least share some profile information on him soon. Have to believe with all the security cameras on homes and on the stores where he shipped, they must have some video of the guy at some point.

they always make a mistake.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:49 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Wow - that's literally close to home.

They'll catch him eventually, the only question is when, and how many will be injured or killed by this maniac.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:09 AM
Lanterne rouge

Glad thats over. Hopefully.
Be safe everyone, not just Austin pals.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
Honestly, I don't even think about it. Got stuff to do. He'll slip up and get caught soon enough.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Crazy end to this (hopefully). I'm REALLY impressed with the response from the Feds on this. They definitely threw the resources at the problem. I can't believe (but am glad) that the bomber was stupid enough to try and mail bombs from a FedEx store.

Texbike
Old 03-21-2018, 07:09 AM

Hopefully it’s over.

I recently listened to a podcast on how they got Ted Kaczynsky, the Unabomber. He was unbelievably meticulous to avoid being caught but eventually he slipped up by releasing his manifesto to the media, where his own brother spotted language patterns that led to his arrest.

I sure hope in this case it’s over.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:21 AM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
Crazy end to this (hopefully). I'm REALLY impressed with the response from the Feds on this. They definitely threw the resources at the problem. I can't believe (but am glad) that the bomber was stupid enough to try and mail bombs from a FedEx store.

Texbike
Yes, hope this one guy was it, no accomplices. And yep, when something like this happens, you sure do want to see men and women with FBI on the back of their vests and windbreakers.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:44 AM

Glad they were finally able to track the guy down but now concerned about how many others he left behind. From Sunday to last night he moved from SW Austin to Round Rock....basically the entire length of the city. I'm hoping that the two bombs he set off in his car that caused his demise were the only ones he had ready, so fingers crossed that's the case.

Read somewhere yesterday that the devices were relatively easy to make and agents have been able to replicate them in under an hour.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:02 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Hopefully it’s over.

I recently listened to a podcast on how they got Ted Kaczynsky, the Unabomber. He was unbelievably meticulous to avoid being caught but eventually he slipped up by releasing his manifesto to the media, where his own brother spotted language patterns that led to his arrest.

I sure hope in this case it’s over.
Did you watch the mini-series they did about it? His whole time at Harvard, and the experiment he participated in was extremely worrying. No idea how closely the portrayal in the show was to real life, but it seemed to be atleast a contributing factor, if not a root cause.