Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2018, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
...What matters is how everyone behaves towards one another.

Maybe eight or nine years ago on this forum I made the largest non-face to face bike purchase of my life-to-date. Some guy across the country 3000 miles away without much of a post count or sell history.

I spoke to the seller on the phone. I didn't have a PayPal account at the time so sent a check. Then, I waited.

As promised, the box arrived and it was packed better than anything I had ever seen. Thirty minutes to cut the packing away.

The seller?

Some guy named Ryun.

I don't do PP and every transaction I've done here has been by check or cash...with the vast majority being cash. Crazy? Maybe but so far no one here has ever let me down. Can't say that about CL by a long shot.

The forum has grown a lot in the last few years so there will be growing pains but I would say its still a better place than most to find a new home for, or take in the things that allows us to continue our cycling passion.

William
Old 03-19-2018, 04:09 PM

I enjoy this place and I've had pretty great experiences buying items. Many great people here that I would prefer to deal with.

I recently posted a couple things for sale and have got lots of looks but no bites. I think my pricing is reasonable for new items. Maybe I just need to bump it at the right time to get the right buyer.

My only issue has been when I've found something I was interested in, posted the first 'pm sent' to a post and immediately pmed the seller....and I get the 'oh, that was sold hours/days ago'.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:16 PM

have purchased tires, saddle, complete group from members here.

all were A+ transactions. friendly communications, timely shipping, reasonable prices.

I will confess to flaking on one sale...put dibs in on something and my PC got hit with a monster malware virus before I could transfer funds.

seller sent a message asking for payment, got ignored since the computer was hosed, and simply sold it to the next guy in line. don't think there were any bad feelings either way on that one.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:40 PM

Have had lots of transactions with lots of members and very few snags. It's afforded me the opportunity to own some of the nicest bikes I've ever ridden. I try to pass along the deals I get to others and typically all is done in a reasonable fashion.

I have had a few bikes that I thought were very reasonable if not a great deal hang around for a long time, but most of us on here have more bike stuff than we need and it makes sense that this can create a softer market. Usually when something hasn't sold on here in a few weeks it ends up on ebay and craigslist and sells relatively quick for more money.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:46 PM

I like this place, warts and all (and for all I know , I may be one of them).
Old 03-19-2018, 04:47 PM
Ex-Mr.President

I am not perfect, I am sure I have put off a few people here. I sure as heck didn’t intend to, but hard to convey intent.

I don’t sell much anymore as folks here, sorry some folks here, stress me out with their expectations on new versus used. I just don’t want the hassle of waiting to have something go wrong.

There are two people here I will not buy from. Both have been raked over the coals often enough, you just pick up on it.

Oh and one super cool guy who no longer comes here screwed me over on every deal we had...but I need to let that go...ooohhhhmmmmmmm
Old 03-19-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I feel your pain....
Ditto.

Don't feel so bad; what you're experiencing is not exclusive to the Paceline Forum. I get a lot of this, selling on Craigslist. It's a people-thing.

Change your method of selling on the forum, and you'll be happier.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:07 PM

No hatred here. Some odd potential dealings...so just bailed. Overall pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2018, 05:12 PM

I've been on both sides of this. I've had excellent transactions here as a buyer, especially after I first joined. I've had some great transactions as a seller too.

Sold my SuperX to a gent in Canada who was low post count, but treated the transaction with the utmost professionalism. We worked out the particulars, and it took a little bit of time, but he seemed to be happy.

I've slipped up as a seller too; was working a deal to sell some chainrings to a member. We took things to text instead of working through the PMs. He made an offer, I accepted. It was late and by the next day, work swamped me and I completely spaced sending my paypal info. By the time I realized it and reached back out, he had already found a different set. I apologized and he was understanding. We both moved on, and life goes on.

We all make mistakes and it can be frustrating to be on the receiving end of someone else's mistake, but life goes on. I've gotten some great deals, and I've missed out on some others.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
yeah, and I never consider it sold until I have full payment in my account. People change their mind, fess up to the wife, email after a few pops....whatever the reason, but it happens.
That's what I do when selling camera equipment or bike stuff. The FIRST one who puts the money in my hand gets it. Everything else is just talk. I hold NOTHING for people just sniffing. If you are serious PAY ME. If you don't like the deal I offer, then that's really just too bad.
Once an item has been listed for a while, I might drop the price, but that's my price.
If I am ever selling something where I gotta have the money sooner, then we can talk about best offer.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:56 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
I've had really good luck selling components here over the years but frames and complete bikes seem to bring out the flakes. Too many requests for additional pictures, measurements, etc and ridiculously low offers. It's much easier to sell locally on Craigslist or Ebay for more than I offered the items to our members.
Add wheels to that list.

For me, if I got it free, I'll give it away for free (or a beer trade). Otherwise, I'm pricing things for what I paid for it. That's usually wholesale or less. I've got 15 bikes so not much wear/tear per bike over the year

M
Old 03-19-2018, 06:23 PM
Administrator

There is a ton of negativity in this thread.

I recommend anyone who posted bad vibes here does their penance and effect some positive change in your world tomorrow.

Quote:
Tullio, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference
Old 03-19-2018, 06:41 PM

No kidding. This is friggin' bike parts we're talking here. Not body parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

I recommend anyone who posted bad vibes here does their penance and effect some positive change in your world tomorrow.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:43 PM
That guy..

I've had good. I've had bad. I've gone above and beyond for some sales. I've also "forgotten" about inquiries I've made.

The good definitely outweighs the bad.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

I dunno, this place has been pretty tense and argumentative lately, a little airing of grievances seems appropriate. Maybe things will lighten up a bit after people get stuff off of their chest?