Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2018, 06:10 AM

There's a reason to not place the front internal housing stop close to the headtube.

Turning the handlebars will create a sharp bend at the entry point, and the housing will develop a buckle or crease.

My buddy is experiencing this exact problem with his Trek Domane.

The framebuilder for my road frame did not want to place my STI stops on the head tube for the same reason.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
There's a reason to not place the front internal housing stop close to the headtube.

Turning the handlebars will create a sharp bend at the entry point, and the housing will develop a buckle or crease.

The framebuilder for my road frame did not want to place my STI stops on the head tube for the same reason.
That makes sense. Theres nothing like experience i guess.
But it if was below the tt and somewhat angled to the side one should be able to move it a bit closer to the tt perhaps.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemen3 View Post
Brake cable entry underneath is the way to go.

Yo Spacemen

Can you provide some more detailed pictures of the stops position on the tube on this Moser? Im perhaps wrongfully thinking this is full length housing?

Would there be possible to make the same enter / exit points looking the same but with regular stops at the frame and then bare cable inside the tube? Perhaps that creates issues with cable rubbing on the inside of tube unless perfectly positioned stops?

Agh so many questions and thoughts. Sometimes i just wish i could order something and trust someone else will do it better and just sit back for the ride. Unfortunately thats not how i was put together
Old 03-07-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Yo Spacemen

Can you provide some more detailed pictures of the stops position on the tube on this Moser? Im perhaps wrongfully thinking this is full length housing?

Would there be possible to make the same enter / exit points looking the same but with regular stops at the frame and then bare cable inside the tube? Perhaps that creates issues with cable rubbing on the inside of tube unless perfectly positioned stops?

Agh so many questions and thoughts. Sometimes i just wish i could order something and trust someone else will do it better and just sit back for the ride. Unfortunately thats not how i was put together
tuscanyswe, look at Bill Holland, Steve Rex, etc. "jet vent".

That is a piece of small diameter tubing welded inside the tt, from one cable entry point to the other. Beside having the advantage of never allowing water into the tt itself the jet vent also allows for extremely easy cable housing routing.

You do not want bare cable inside the tt: besides the moisture, etc. issues, the vibrations, pinging etc., from the steel cable moving around and even slapping against the tt wall will drive you crazy in 5 minutes. Don't do it.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:56 AM
Shoegazer

I'll have to see if I have close-ups somewhere. The cable housing doesn't travel through the top-tube; it ends and starts at the stops. There's a brass tube inside. Routing the cable doesn't take any time at all. Grand Master Dave Kirk talks about how it's done:

http://kirkframeworks.com/2010/04/13...o-you-do-that/
Old 03-07-2018, 10:06 AM

Thanks guys.

Yeah that makes sense again.
Ok so now i just have to decide on regular cable stops versus the integrated stops. Cant really decide which i prefer.
The shop think tommasini could put the front integrated stop on the top tube wherever i want it underneath 7 a clock etc. He assumed it was a stop and not full length but dident actualy know that. So im taking any info as a maybe at this point.

Also going for 1" threadless fork as they couldent make it 11/8 or so he thought. I guess thats okay with me. will have to find some nice 1" stems or just get a shim for 11/8s. Only reason for wanting 11/8 to begin with was to maybe put a carbon fork on it at somepoint but i doubt i will anyway.

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 03-07-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:53 AM

My '89 Bottecchia Equipe has the cable routed through the top tube just like the Tommasini in the pic. The whole cable with housing is routed through the top tube. There is no inner brass tube. I did have a Della Santa with internal brake cable and Roland did use the brass tube method where only the cable, not the housing, went through the top tube.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bottecchia.jpg (41.0 KB, 122 views)
Old 03-07-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post

Is the Domane the one where the housing entered on the right of the head tube? Those were bad.

My Raleigh with the entrance just behind the headtube doesn't cause any bending at all, maybe because it goes in at an angle:

Old 03-07-2018, 11:32 AM
send me the twizzlers yo

That's your Raleigh, or an image to illustrate what you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
Is the Domane the one where the housing entered on the right of the head tube? Those were bad.

My Raleigh with the entrance just behind the headtube doesn't cause any bending at all, maybe because it goes in at an angle:

Old 03-07-2018, 11:33 AM
aka RAEKWON

On my english itis similar to Kontact Raleigh. Makes for a very clean look from the drive side. I did decide to use ilink cables in the back, I am sure normal cable would work but this works better with tighter bends.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
That's your Raleigh, or an image to illustrate what you have?
Not my bike, but I have the same model.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:50 AM

Okay so i think i have decided for:

Integrated stop with front entry at 7-8 a clock ish. Rear as is. This is provided that they can make a "stop" with an internal tube for the cable so that its not loose and potentially can rattle. Nor do i want full length housing.

Will go with regular stops at 7 a clock if they cant make it with above or look for another frame even perhaps.

Thanks all !
Old 03-07-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post

That looks nice. Its kind of hard to tell from the picture what the actual stops look like but its certainly very close to the head and st junctions and looks very small in comparison to others ive seen.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:58 PM
Shoegazer

Honestly, internal routing on top doesn't look too bad if you're not given a choice. But you must insist on internal routing for shifting as well!

Old 03-07-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemen3 View Post
Honestly, internal routing on top doesn't look too bad if you're not given a choice. But you must insist on internal routing for shifting as well!

Hmm i beg to differ. If i had no choice (i think i will tho) i would not purchase the frame with just the top routing. It just looks off to me.

Internal shifting is not on the table i think