Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-07-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
2 - As I was told by Seven, when they needed to "replace" and weld "smaller" seatstays in the same location as "larger" seatstays you would have seen "marks" from the previous welds (think outside diameter of the tubes and where the welds would have been). So, by also replacing the seattube which stayed the same diameter, the new welds covered the old weld marks/locations at the toptube and downtube junctions but at the seatstay junctions it was new material.
Oh, OK...that makes sense now. Thanks much for the clarification.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmcconnell View Post
Ahhh, that makes more sense.

I went direct with IF and it was a bit of a nightmare TBH, but they got there in the end. I've been listening to a podcast with the CEO today and it seems that their strategy is to go through dealers so I'm now not that surprised that the direct experience wasn't the best. (they weren't rude or anything, it just took way way longer than they said it would and then there were glitches with payment etc).

But that pales in comparison to the experience that a friend had with Speedvagen. Christ on a bike they sounded awful

What’s the podcast?
Old 01-07-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
What’s the podcast?
https://www.bikerumor.com/2018/01/02...ks-leadership/
Old 01-07-2018, 10:02 PM

Compact carbon frames are often reliant on the long seat posts for compliance. Could sourcing a thinner seat tube create better road feel?
Old 01-07-2018, 10:03 PM

Fwiw - here it is today all built up. Just about to ride home

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93KgBike View Post
Compact carbon frames are often reliant on the long seat posts for compliance. Could sourcing a thinner seat tube create better road feel?
Prohibitively expensive to swap tubes out. Problem is primarily a front end one too

Old 01-07-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Prohibitively expensive to swap tubes out. Problem is primarily a front end one too

Perhaps he meant a thinner seat post with a shim.

But that isn't going to help your hands.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
Perhaps he meant a thinner seat post with a shim.

But that isn't going to help your hands.
Ahh, right

Old 01-07-2018, 10:47 PM

As that Enve fork is designed to go up to a 32c tire, I assume you have a reasonable way to make your bike comfortable, or even be able to make it gravel-able, without replacing major components.

Fat tires are considerably faster than vibration fatigue.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
As that Enve fork is designed to go up to a 32c tire, I assume you have a reasonable way to make your bike comfortable, or even be able to make it gravel-able, without replacing major components.

Fat tires are considerably faster than vibration fatigue.
The new one is, that's the old one (note post mount and QR)

Old 01-07-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
The new one is, that's the old one (note post mount and QR)

The one in the picture looks like the last 2.0 disc which I thought also took a 32c tire.

What is your fork and frame tire limit?
Old 01-07-2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
The one in the picture looks like the last 2.0 disc which I thought also took a 32c tire.

What is your fork and frame tire limit?
Don't know. Custom frame and I can't find enough detail on the fork - it's a 2012. I'm going to get the vernier calipers out, doesn't really matter though cos the 28s will fit my CX bike for commuting

Old 01-07-2018, 11:38 PM

The design approach when using a disc brake requires a combination of factors for the performance and comfort to be restored after weight and fork stiffness have been added.

For these bikes to be competitive means exploiting the ability to have nice, wide and light carbon rims that couldn't be used with caliper brakes without braking and weight compromises.

So these lighter/wider rims not only compensate for some of the weight added, but also allow much greater tire volumes that allow large reductions in tire pressure and modest reductions in tire casing tension while still providing pinch-flat resistance and low rolling resistance.

Short of the plush tires, thicker bar tape and saddle padding can do much for cushioning.
Expecting wheel structures to absorb shock is folly, since even 1mm of give would put the spokes well into zero-tension territory and standard wheels already flex nearly as much as the spoke tensioning can tolerate.
And wider rims and tires actually produce higher tire casing tension (firmer casing surface!) unless large pressure reductions accompany any such size increases.

An added benefit of the disc approach with wider rims and tires is the lower contact pressure of the tread on the road, which helps reduce tread wear, but wider tires do mop up a wider swath of the road so more thorns are likely to find the tires.

I have experienced the effects of fork twist on steering while using disc brakes off road, which proved to me that relatively supple fork blades really have no place on any fork with a disc caliper. Even a rim-braked bike with different left and right brake pads can exhibit noticeable fork twisting with it's annoying effect on steering, but putting a caliper at the lower end of one fork leg is orders of magnitude worse than that.

Perhaps when the OP changed handlebars the tape was more tightly or thinly wrapped?
Old 01-07-2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
The design approach when using a disc brake requires a combination of factors for the performance and comfort to be restored after weight and fork stiffness have been added.

For these bikes to be competitive means exploiting the ability to have nice, wide and light carbon rims that couldn't be used with caliper brakes without braking and weight compromises.

So these lighter/wider rims not only compensate for some of the weight added, but also allow much greater tire volumes that allow large reductions in tire pressure and modest reductions in tire casing tension while still providing pinch-flat resistance and low rolling resistance.

Short of the plush tires, thicker bar tape and saddle padding can do much for cushioning.
Expecting wheel structures to absorb shock is folly, since even 1mm of give would put the spokes well into zero-tension territory and standard wheels already flex nearly as much as the spoke tensioning can tolerate.
And wider rims and tires actually produce higher tire casing tension (firmer casing surface!) unless large pressure reductions accompany any such size increases.

An added benefit of the disc approach with wider rims and tires is the lower contact pressure of the tread on the road, which helps reduce tread wear, but wider tires do mop up a wider swath of the road so more thorns are likely to find the tires.

I have experienced the effects of fork twist on steering while using disc brakes off road, which proved to me that relatively supple fork blades really have no place on any fork with a disc caliper. Even a rim-braked bike with different left and right brake pads can exhibit noticeable fork twisting with it's annoying effect on steering, but putting a caliper at the lower end of one fork leg is orders of magnitude worse than that.

Perhaps when the OP changed handlebars the tape was more tightly or thinly wrapped?
There is that. My new mechanic is awesome but **** he wraps bartape tight

Old 01-08-2018, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Too stiff where? What source of shock or force did you need isolation from on a bike with 30 psi tires between it and the ground?
I can't answer for John H., but air pressure is just one variable in terms of vertical compliance of the tire.

A wider tire's larger cross-sectional radius may bridge surface defects such that they don't transmit as much shock, and it's permissible lower pressure (without risk of pinch-flat) equates to a wider contact patch. Good so far, but a 2x wider tire has 2x the tension in the casing at the same pressure, and casing tension resists local deflection as imposed by bits of gravel or a rough asphalt surface.

And where surface defects are more undulating than square-edged, a wider tire resists vertical deflection more than a narrower tire. Further, a wider rim creates a more-vertical tire sidewall that won't yield vertically as far with any given change in loading.

So expecting larger tires to be more absorbent toward many types of surface imperfections requires quite-large reductions in air pressure.